Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

“Interesting” in the same way you being a young hispanic woman is “interesting”.

• it’s a complete load of cobblers and you really should stop saying it.

It was cooler than average in north eastern US and south eastern canada. Everywhere else was hot - 4th hottest year on record.

Good word, ‘interesting.’

I’m now confused. How does the Antarctic get billons of tonnes of extra snow every year, but melting glaziers are making the seas rise. Has someone been distorting the truth:

1 Like

so someone tell me how long how many and most importantly HOW Much this will all cost…

you dont think the cost will be passed on lol

im all for turning off hazelwood but it should have been done in conjunction with a renewables replacementt scheme that when it reached full capacity to match hazelwood 24/7 it then could be turned off…

1 Like

I think you can blame privatisation and a lack of any coherent federal government policy for that.

You can’t blame private enterprise for not wanting to invest in coal.

1 Like

If the cap fits…

Because it’s warmer than it used to be.

They spelt hysterical wrong. That just had me laughing my titz off for 20 mins.

Very, very funny,… thanks for posting.

3 Likes

Not just glaziers but electricians, plumbers, posties. They’re all melting. It’s ■■■■■■■ hot man

7 Likes

Did you know that glass is in fact a liquid? The glaziers are just trying to empathise with their product.

2 Likes

Yep. Known since my very cool teacher told us in Form 1 Science class.

Seen the evidence over the years too. Glass out of hundred year old windows can be up to 4 or 5 mm thicker than the top at the base, … just as he said it would be.

1 Like

No, you’re just incompetent and don’t read the articles you post links to.

As the article makes entirely clear, this is a matter of net change in ice coverage over time. Previous studies have claimed that the amount of water locked up as Antarctic ice was roughly constant before AGW started melting the east antarctic ice sheets, resulting in antarctica being a net contributor to sea level rise.

This article claims (and I believe the science is still somewhat disputed, as happens in genuine scientific debates), is reporting that possibly the amount of water locked up in the Antarctic ice sheet was continually increasing by a very large amount before AGW happened along, and even now the amount of water that gets frozen into the antarctic ice caps each year still outweighs the amount released from the icecaps due to AGW. For now. Howver, the melt rate continually accelerates and this is not expected to remain the case for very long. And, of course, despite the antarctic locking up ice, on a global scale sea levels are still rising rapidly due to melt in greenland and elsewhere. Here’s some quotes from the article you may have missed:

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001. That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.

So, the rate at which the antarctic accumulates ice has slowed by about 35% within the last 15 years.

Also:

But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica’s growth to reverse, according to Zwally. “If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years – I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses.”

Antarctica has been saving us from much much worse sea level rise so far, but it’s capacity to do this is rapidly coming to an end.

On a related note: I notice you are now linking to Watt’s Up With That, so you can stop even pretending to be an honest seeker after truth now. This is one of the worst pits of incompetence and denialist lies on the web, and has been known as such for coming up on a decade. It’s funny how you manage to continually find (and feel the need to share) scientifically illiterate horseshit or lunatic conspiracy theories, while never posting anything from actual credible scientific sources, isn’t it?

2 Likes

HM, the 1st post is from NASA. The 2nd post is an article from a Geologist aka a scientist.

The fact is that so much water is being locked up in the Antarctic (aka its increasing every year) that I am starting to doubt there has been any world wide sea level rises as reported in the MSM and by IPCC. The Artic melting contributes zero to sea level rises as its sea ice, so where is all this 100s of billons of annually melted ice happening to justify the call that the sea levels are rising? Billions of tonnes every year are being added to Antarctica, over the course of the last several decades many hundreds of billions of tonnes of ice has been added to the ice in Antarctica…please someone do the math for me !!

No I am not a denier, but I’m also not a worshiper, i’m an agnostic and like to think for myself, critical thinking and question everything.

You realise a lot of the posters in this thread are scientists too. I’m not, but I can sure tell that they have more knowledge and better research than the clowns you keep linking too.

1 Like

Sure PP, I acknowledge there are lots of smart people in the world, some believe that man is a huge contributor to climate change, many also don’t.

All deserve to be heard, particularly in a debate. That does not seem to be the case here, where some people resort to name calling and insults to ‘shut people down’ or if you like bullying.

There lies my problem, I just don’t like people that try to intimidate others by belittling them and name calling … ■■■■■■ me right off and pushes me in the opposite direction.

And this is whats happening in society in general all around the world. Normally quiet citizens have had a gutfull of know it alls, politically correct leftist big mouths telling us what to think and how to toe the line. This is why Trump is in power IMO and why rightist govt. are in power all over the world. The majority are sick of the minority telling us what to think…the opposite ends up happenning for these name callers. Go figure, they still keep shouting people down though !

1 Like

Firstly, Watts is a mendacious clown and this has been widely known for years, anyone who writes on his website is tainted by association, and geologists are generally not qualified to comment in their professional capacity on climate change because it’s not related to their field. Also, most geologists who profess such opinions seem to turn out to have very strong financial links to the fossil fuel industry, so their professional neutrality is … questionable. A lot of the more prominent denialists with scientific credentials are fossil fuel geologists - Plimer for instance - despite their discipline not being concerned with climatic patterns at all.

Second, re the NASA article, read what I frigging wrote. I accept the NASA science, and I actually read the article. To summarise, what NASA is saying is ‘holy crap, 30 years ago, the Antarctic was locking away 112 billion tons of water per year and therefore offsetting icecap loss elsewhere, but climate change has reduced this to only 82 billion in the last 10-15 years, this trend is inevitably going to result in raised sea levels’. The Antarctic is not the only ice in the damn world. Greenland (not to mention European glaciers) are melting faster that Antarctica can offset. Your argument is equivalent to sitting in a bath with the taps turned on full, watching the water rise, and then saying ‘hey, there’s a slow trickling leak in the bath over there, so there’s no way it could POSSIBLY overflow!’

1 Like

Does anyone know if the Northwest passage is open yet? It was hundreds of years ago !!! Oh…and does anyone know if the vikings are repopulating Greenland again cause you know they did hundreds of years ago back when it was you know Green not White.

Plimer was my Geology lecturer. He really knows his stuff. He’s also a ■■■■.

Why? It’s not a high school debate. The qualified people should be heard over the mischief makers.

2 Likes

Oh for god’s sake. You are shitposting to the utmost degree. Go do some damn googling, and stop skipping over the results until you find some you like. This is info that is very easy to find.

You seem to be implying the Northwest passage was routinely open hundreds of years ago. Well, I call bullshit. Let’s see a credible source, not some ■■■■■■■ geocities blog run by a scientifically illiterate conspiracy theorist moron , and if you’ve even got an atom of intellectual integrity, you’ll compare your source to the modern day.

How ‘open’ are we talking here? How does the degree of openness compare to what we see in the modern day at the same time of year?

Oh good, we’ve progessed from scientific bullshit to historical bullshit. Greenland was never green. From the Saga of Erik the Red…

He named the land Greenland, saying that people would be eager to go there if it had a good name

I suppose when you’re in Melbourne you go to Deer Park to see the deer. Greenland was named Greenland by a shonky Viking real estate salesman. In the sagas, it’s known as a desolate, infertile place of ice, hardship, and starvation.

4 Likes