Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

So anyone going to take a look at the VIC battery subsidy for existing households with solar?

The UK has just gone two weeks without coal usage for power. The rider is they’re 60% gas and 20% nuclear, but still, progress.

1 Like

The Koala is extinct?

40,000 Polar Bears at last count

1,600,000 Ringed Seal are extinct?

Atlantic Cod, overfished, not extinct.

Spectacled flying fox - one third just died off in the Queensland heatwave.
Darwinian selection at work. The weak died, the strong survived

1. Staghorn coral

Adelie Penguin - 2,500,000 pairs in breeding colonies, if they bred everywhere else but the Antarctic you would have to beat them off with a stick

Anyhow I see the Gore Effect has struck Queensland, every time the fat hypocritical multi-millionare turns up to speak on Global Warming, it snows.

1 Like

Farkhead

3 Likes

"The scenario warns that our current trajectory will likely lock in at least 3 degrees Celsius © of global heating, which in turn could trigger further amplifying feedbacks unleashing further warming. This would drive the accelerating collapse of key ecosystems “including coral reef systems, the Amazon rainforest and in the Arctic.”

The results would be devastating. Some one billion people would be forced to attempt to relocate from unlivable conditions, and two billion would face scarcity of water supplies. Agriculture would collapse in the sub-tropics, and food production would suffer dramatically worldwide. The internal cohesion of nation-states like the US and China would unravel.

“Even for 2°C of warming, more than a billion people may need to be relocated and in high-end scenarios, the scale of destruction is beyond our capacity to model with a high likelihood of human civilization coming to an end,” the report notes."

Every so often I’m almost suckered into taking your posts seriously, then you say something like this and remind me why that’s a huge waste of time.

Darwinian selection must have worked wonders for the thylacine, mustn’t it? So many of them got shot, the survivors MUST have evolved bullet-proof skin by now, right, right? Same with the dodo? And dinosaurs - the survivors are meteorite-proof? And the Bramble Key melomys grew gills?

That would be the most idiotic argument I have ever heard.

WTF has Darwin’s natural selection have to do with have to do guns.
As for dinosaurs, they starved to death during the 3 year winter caused by the meteor impact. I didn’t know animals could evolve into not requiring food.

If you look around you may notice birds and crocodiles both of which share a common ancestry wth dinosaurs.

And you as well

6 Likes

Sudden environmental events play havoc with evolution. They cause extinctions on this planet and always have. The question is how successful has a species or indeed genus been in spreading to areas not effected by the sudden event. In the case of a planet wide event, there is no place to hide.

The problem is, that humans have been so successful they are now displacing many other forms of life that live in localised niche environments. Dominance of Humans and global warming are a double whammy.

But in terms of species diversity, as long as Gallus gallus ( domesticus) and Apis mellifera survive, we can keep on going to KFC for a bite to eat.
Basically we don’t need any other species except maybe Canis lupus (familiaris) to keep the remaining humans company.

And we can feed the canis familiaris with ■■■■ sapiens.

Soylent green is people. So is Pal.

Get rid of most of the humans. Get rid of the problem. Everything else on the planet is food for something else, its time humans were too again.

We’ve become the apex predators, we need something to knock us off our perch to balance the scales.

1 Like

Make sure you have prepared a will.
If you are lucky your beneficiaries will be around to collect on it.
Here is a graph of atmospheric CO2

In case you are wondering how background levels indicating natural variability of CO2 can be known stretching back so far, it comes from samples of air trapped in ice cores from the antarctic.

What hope has the world got when idiots like this are elected
WTF is a clean climate

"
Climate change was also discussed during US President Donald Trump’s meeting with Prince Charles.

The Prince of Wales spent 75 minutes longer than scheduled trying to convince Mr Trump of the dangers of climate change.

Mr Trump told ITV’s Good Morning Britain he had been due to meet Prince Charles for 15 minutes during his visit but the talk went on for 90 minutes.

The Prince did “most of the talking” during that discussion, the Guardian reported.

Mr Trump insisted the US was “clean” and blamed other nations for the crisis.

“I did say, ‘Well, the United States right now has among the cleanest climates there are based on all statistics’. And it’s even getting better because I agree with that we want the best water, the cleanest water. It’s crystal clean, has to be crystal clean clear,” Mr Trump explained

I hope Trump said that with Flint in his voice.

4 Likes

I watched the film 2040 with my wife and 3 daughters yesterday. Large crowd in the cinema (all ages) which was great. Well put together documentary and very accessible for all ages. I recommend it especially if you have kids of any age.

The last “segment” covered human population and it seems that if we educate our daughters (ie world wide not just Australia), they earn more income and have less children. Less children means better standard of living and less pressure on the environment.

Anyway “do yourself a favour” and see 2040.

2 Likes

I don’t have any kids, is there anything in it for me? I mean, just generally, the whole life thing? Aside from taxes

Yes, the film worked on all levels. Nothing really new in it but brought a few ideas together in a very well presented manner. The audience clapped at the end of the film (you don’t hear that very much) and it was clearly led by the over 60’s in the crowd.

1 Like

I know plenty of over 60’s that have a conscience about the world they will leave behind for their families

1 Like