Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

The other thing is I googled the author of that article and he hasn’t published any research I can find in years. Most of it was from the 80’s and his last citation was from 2005, and it looks like he retired not long after that.

As mentioned in the Oz Politics thread, …

Need to watch 4Corners tonight re: Oz water crisis, the MDB plan and the Lib Gov/ Big Biz money rorts.

It looks like it’s worse than what’s already known, … way worse.

1 Like

The biggest problem now is that no one wants to take responsibility for anything. Heads should roll over this but how can it be remedied. This is where the Government should bring in
indigenous land keepers who know how to restore the land they’ve been looking after it for thousands of years. And the permaculture guy (who has been featured on land line and 4 corners) who rips up the land with a special sort of plough and uses commercial BD 500 and similar products and rebuilds the rivers and creek beds.

The Government need to start doing some different or this country’s future is looking grim.

At the end of the day, people will find out you can’t eat money.

2 Likes

But the people making decisions have enough money that they’ll be able to eat for a long time after that becomes very clear to the rest of us.

Not once the planet becomes unproductive. Unless growing food happens in a community
based way, where everyone shares and works together. Catastrophe changes all the rules.
Those with the power and money may be able to buy their way out of trouble for awhile. In times of great upheaval, the currency value changes. I suppose you can use paper money it to light the fire to keep warm.

Do you know people here who are preppers, I have friends who are and have planned for the worst and are hoping for the best.

Some strong words from Sir David Attenborough.

Side note, I’m currently reading ‘The Confessions of an Economic Hitman’ by John Perkins, which goes into detail on how the leaders of many developing countries in the 20th century were coerced or mislead into taking out unfair loans from the IMF or the U.S so that American companies could exploit their resources. It makes me wonder/somewhat explains why our government is almost psychotic in it’s promotion of coal and subsequent denial of climate change.

1 Like

We just hit peak hypocrisy.

Bob Brown opposes Robbins Island Wind Farm

July 15, 2019

Robbins Island|960x490

Robbins Island, Tasmania

Former Tasmanian senator and Greens leader Bob Brown is campaigning against the Robbins Island Wind Farm in Tasmania, saying it will be an eyesore and will kill birds.

Mr Brown, in a letter to the editor, states the 200 turbine towers at 160m high is contrary to the desires of the Tasmanian populace to cap structure heights.

“Mariners will see this hairbrush of tall towers from 50km out to sea and elevated landlubbers will see it, like it or not, from greater distances on land,” Mr Brown says.

“Its eye-catchiness will divert from every coastal scene on the western Bass Strait coastline.”

Related article: New battery-boosted wind farm for Vic

Further, he says the Tasmanian public “has not been properly informed of the private deals, or public impacts or cost-benefit analyses (economic, social, cultural and environmental) of this, one of the biggest wind farm projects on Earth”.

These private deals, it is implied in the letter, are that power from the wind farm may be exported to Asia.

An additional concern is that transmission lines are planned to cut through wild and scenic Tasmania.

“Tasmanians have a right to know much more about the Robbins Island development. It is a huge resource extraction venture which will be lighting up no Tasmanian homes,” Mr Brown says.

Related article: Giant blades power Coopers Gap Wind Farm

“The world needs energy efficiency and renewable energy to replace fossil fuels, and fast. However, as with the Harmony Hotel proposal, this Robbins Island wind farm is an aileron too far.”

Robbins Island Wind Farm is a proposed $1.6 billion development, with electricity generated to be sent to Australia’s mainland via an undersea cable, helping make Tasmania the Battery of the Nation.

The site of the Robbins Island Wind Farm is a cattle property owned by the Hammond family, who say they love the environment and wouldn’t do something that negatively impacts it.

Read Bob Brown’s full letter here.

GREENIES - NIMBYs

What happened to saving the farken planet.

1 Like

Hey, Sorfey - I am glad that you finally got interested in “saving the farken planet”.

Keep it up!

Or was this just a hypocritical stunt to pay out on a retired pollie? Who incidentally has done more for the environment than 99.99% of other people in this country.

1 Like

Say Wut?

Bob Brown wrote the letter, not me.

Mind you he also believes in aliens.
And climate change.
And like all greenies, telling others how to run their lives.

Is it a hypocritical stunt to point out the hypocrisy of the Green Movement?

Or just awkward.

1 Like

So would you call yourself libertarian sorfed? Or are you a Lib/Nat? Or further to the right if that’s possible now? And none of this “plays it how I sees it” cop out either. I’d like to know how you go about it seeing as you hate political groups telling people how to run their lives.

Through your drug infused existence sorfed you miss the main issue.

Only a massive fool would deny the need for renewable energy, but virtually all Wind Farms are owned by huge multinational corporations who are just in it to make money.

A better model is where local communities take control of their own energy needs using solar, wind and battery storage. Smaller turbines, less power lines and much tighter controls.

My new factory in Houston is now self-sufficient and exists without any electrical power from the local grid. Early days, but seems to work without any issues.

2 Likes

[quote=“Bacchusfox, post:5604, topic:170, full:true”]
Through your drug infused existence sorfed you miss the main issue.

Only a massive fool would deny the need for renewable energy, but virtually all Wind Farms are owned by huge multinational corporations who are just in it to make money.

1: So, the type of power does not matter to you, only who owns it.
This principle of yours would preclude you from driving in cars owned by huge multicultural corporations along with airliners, buses, trains.
Way to go.

2: A better model is where local communities take control of their own energy needs using solar, wind and battery storage. Smaller turbines, less power lines and much tighter controls.
So go ahead, specify what constitutes local community.

3: My new factory in Houston is now self-sufficient and exists without any electrical power from the local grid. Early days, but seems to work without any issues.
Are you talking about the USA Houston or the post office in Box Hill.
If it is the USA Why setup there?

As for my drug infused existence are you so brained addled that yo missed the whole point of the story and that is that Greens are raging hypocrites when it comes to renewables.
Must have them, but not dead me.

Bob Brown is against coal, causes global warming.

Bob Brown is against oil, causes global warming.

Bob Brown is against Hydro, can’t dam the rivers.

Bob Brown is against wind, spoils the view.
Well, his view.

Which leaves solar, Bob Brown lives in the Huon Valley.

Ever been to the Huon Valley , not much chance of sunburn there.

GREEN - HYPOCRITES.

NIMBY’s,

I think we need more absolute statements here.

1 Like

1. So, the type of power does not matter to you, only who owns it.

Not at all. You are the dikkhead who is labelling Bob Brown a NIMBY because he is against a poor project. Get it straight, large corporations are only interested in return on their capital investment. They do not give a crap about renewable energy and global warming, and Bob Brown does not have to prove his credentials on this. I don’t like the guy much, but he is an environmental warrior who should be respected.

And seriously @sorfed this Tassie project is just BS from any perspective.

2: A better model is where local communities take control of their own energy needs using solar, wind and battery storage. Smaller turbines, less power lines and much tighter controls.

A local community can be a few houses or a village or a suburb. If I thought it would make any difference to your sick mind, I would give you examples.

3: My new factory in Houston is now self-sufficient and exists without any electrical power from the local grid. Early days, but seems to work without any issues.

Houston USA, and we are moving most of our manufacturing there because that is where the market is, and my new partners can build better quality products than us. And I don’t like being a Manufacturer, I would rather do product development and other R&D.

As for my drug infused existence are you so brained addled that yo missed the whole point of the story and that is that Greens are raging hypocrites when it comes to renewables.

I understand the point of Bob Browns protest, I think you don’t understand as you look through misty eyes. I am not a fan of the GREENS and think they are a pox on our Political System, but not because of their environmental views or actions. That is all common-sense, and maybe you should read their policy on this.

Try an take an objective view on how you can solve energy issues by thinking small. It can and does work, and many on here will give you examples of low energy expenditures through their use of solar and wind energy. By the way, do you have solar panels on your roof ?

3 Likes

Guess which of these has Tony Abbott labelled ‘dark satanic mills’?

You guessed it…

Might be relevant if he was the local member for anywhere.
He’s not.

2 Likes

You know how hard it is to get Dog Turd off your shoe though?

No matter how much you scrape, and brush through the Grass, … you can still smell it.

Likely working for some Coal lobby group or directly on Gina the Hutt’s payroll these days.

2 Likes