Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

Its a weak argument to throw up fringe alarmists from the 1970s. Doesn’t change the current evidence - year after year of increased global temps, record ice melt, coral bleaching etc…

Its a weak argument to say climate change has occurred in the past, therefore current warming is not caused by human activity - I was sick in the past without drinking booze, therefore drinking booze is not making me sick.

Easier than typing it again.

5 Likes

Fringe alarmists? Paul Erlich?

Behold the one man at the IPCC you can believe.

1 Like
1 Like

Again here is the practicality of Wind Power

Monday, 24 April, 815am. peak hour.

Australia - Demand 24,184Mw Output 328Mw Percentage of demand 1.356%

South Australia - Demand 834Mw Output 57Mw Percentage of demand 6.834%

Victoria - Demand 5,291Mw Output 47 Mw Percentage of demand 0.888%

It just doesn’t work.

1 Like

Hence the requirement for storage as well. You know that’s a part of the debate too, don’t you?

Storage requires input.
If there isn’t enough power for demand where do do get the excess?

Answer this question, in your own mind if nowhere else.

If you owned a car that was as expensive, inefficient and unreliable as Wind Power, how long would it be before you replaced it?

Fine - then what sort of idiotic leader goes live with a proposal that has not been fully thought out.

Has SA saved the planet by going 2 or 3 years earlier then they should have? What has been the benefit?

I don’t give a ■■■■ about the politics and I separate the validity of renewable energy from the BS politics surrounding it at the moment.

The data for energy consumption is freely available to all. Have a storage solution that covers this requirement.

If there is a shortage of power, is that because the storage isn’t large enough or the input to the storage can’t keep up? Wherever the deficiency lies, you build more of.

It’s not that hard to understand.

Its got everything to do with politics as the money being spent on these mad capped schemes is taxpayer monies - which we entrust politicians to spend wisely.

Secondly it is also political because taxpayer monies should in theory enrich an existing service, not degrade a service.

Its the height of arrogance to say this is not political. Why do climate change types have this belief that they are immune from being questioned on how they spend tax payers monies?
They somehow think its just another Arts or ABC, ie give us money and don’t ask us how we spend it.

1 Like

Hang on, you said earlier:

Fine - then what sort of idiotic leader goes live with a proposal that has not been fully thought out.

as if this is a reason why renewables are not a valid alternative to current mainstream forms of energy (or at least how I interpreted it). I am saying the limitations of politicians should not be the reason it is not a valid alternative - that’s where I was coming from.

1 Like

Oh look its Groundhog Day on the CC thread. Andie MacDowell is very much looking forward to the end of the movie cos she is getting on with her life while Bill Murray posts the same ‘questions’ ad nauseum on Bomberblitz and ignores (or doesn’t understand) the anwsers.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Today for some reason South Australia’s power demand is around 800Mw or 50% of normal, even so since I 1st posted this morning there has been a shortfall of 2,000Mw, double that for a normal day.
That is 20 times the batteries Weatherall plans to install as backup so you can double it to 40 times for a normal working day and to add to that Weatherall wants to move the renewable target from 30% to 50% which is a 67% increase amounting to 67 x 100Mw battery units for 8 frigging hours worth of power.

$32,200,000 for a 100Mw battery unit works out to $2.15 BILLION for 8 hours supply or if you will, $1,280 pp. if the wind lulls for 3 day you can whack that up by a factor of 9.

Then you have to find the electricity to recharge them.

Germany and Denmark have lots of wind but if and when it falls short they just hook up to France’s nuclear or Poland’s coal.

It’s not that hard to understand?

What is hard to understand is how the allegedly most educated generation in history cannot do simple arithmetic and is bereft of logic.

Sorry, I take that back, I do understand, I saw the way my son was being educated 30 years ago.

2 Likes

“Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn’t one today.”

1 Like

So did SA close down today, if there was such a power supply shortfall ?

Must have missed it on the news, not that anyone in the civilized world would care.

And your Son was educated ? Pity you were not.

No, they were saved by Victorian coal and that alone. That’s why we must not let Labor and the Greens shut down our coal plants! Or, the actual owners of the coal plants or whatever. Nor should we believe that battery storage is the answer because there’s only been one serious proposal for a battery farm and that alone can’t fix the entire grid. Can’t you kids count or something? Also, some other argument about the sun not shining and the wind not blowing which completely ignores that being the main purpose of storage technology.

Britain went a full day without using coal to generate electricity for the first time since the Industrial Revolution, the National Grid says.

The energy provider said Friday’s lack of coal usage was a “watershed” moment.

Britain’s longest continuous energy period without coal until now was 19 hours - first achieved last May, and again on Thursday.

The government plans to phase out Britain’s last plants by 2025 in order to cut carbon emissions.

Friday is thought to be the first time the nation has not used coal to generate electricity since the world’s first centralised public coal-fired generator opened in 1882, at Holborn Viaduct in London.

Cordi O’Hara of the National Grid said: "To have the first working day without coal since the start of the industrial revolution is a watershed moment in how our energy system is changing.

“The UK benefits from highly diverse and flexible sources of electricity. Our energy mix continues to change and National Grid adapts system operation to embrace these changes.”

But Ms O’Hara says that while the country makes the transition to a low carbon system, coal remains an important source of energy.

According to Gridwatch.co.uk, around half of British energy on Friday came from natural gas, with about a quarter coming from nuclear plants.

Wind, biomass, and imported energy were also used.

1 Like

Which coal plant did Labor and the Greens close down ?