Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

That’s all that’s left for you when you say crap like that.

I haven’t even responded to you or your continued recycling of lies & bullshitt for months btw, because it’s not worth my precious time,

But make no mistake, and just so I’m clear, … you are a total utter fukkwit.

I am not at all ‘flumoxxed’ by your argument. It is just very weak. Perhaps you did you not read my post above -

Do you realise that, in spite of all efforts, global CO2 emissions have been steadily increasing until the last couple of years where emissions have flatlined (largely credited to renewables by the way)? Considering this, and that greenhouse gasses trap heat and presumably take some time to dissipate, why would you reasonably expect temps to be reducing by now?

I do not know where the fark you were bought up, but I can tell you about working poor. My Dad worked three jobs to keep his family fed, and to give me and my sister the opportunities denied him. Today, men in his situation, cannot find one farking job let alone three. In my Town, we have entrenched poverty and the local soup kitchen does a roaring trade three night a week; and the local food bank cannot keep up with the demand. I pitch in as often as I can, and it is very sad to see our people hungry and often homeless.

The Left as you call it, are the only groups working to support the poor, and when it comes to Climate Change both Labor and the Greens recognise who gets hurt, and it isn’t those with money. Your farking Right Governments have privatised power generation and distribution, and even made it so that renewable energy companies are all privately owned, and this is the prime reason for increased cost. And fark, we have it easy compared to NSW and Qld, whose power costs are even higher.

Our Communities face massive challenges and protecting our environment is one of them. You keep saying you do not deny climate change, but then deny that fossil fuels are farking the place. I never hide my Labor Party membership, but if they fark up then I call it. I would never support the Adani mine, but I do support the drive to renewables; you have to have a plan or we are done.

We should not be fighting about economics which is your political argument, we should be working together to get the best solution.

3 Likes

Haha.

Tripper visits the doctor:

Tripper: [cough] I don’t [coughcough] need to be here! I’m [cough] not sick at all! [vomit]
Doctor: Riiiight. [fills out prescription] Take one of these three times a day for the next two weeks, and come back for checkup
Tripper: I don’t need to be told what to do by some inner city avocado-latte-sipping smashed-chardonnay-swilling elitist!
[goes to chemist, gets script filled. Takes one tablet]

[five minutes passes]
Tripper: See, i knew it! I’m not better yet! Medicine is a leftist scam!!

9 Likes

Depends on your priorities.
For me - keeping the power on and keeping it affordable is more of a priority than implementing policies that so far have made little to no difference to the core problem. In fact, the net impact is negative as it currently stands.

You feel sad to see people hungry and homeless yet you support policies that close down whole industries and towns. I’m sorry - but I find that almost impossible to reconcile.

So when should they be reducing?

But that is just absolute nonsense TripEss. Name one industry and one town that has been closed down because of any Government policy towards renewable energy. I travel all over the World and in most places the move to Wind and Solar energy has been positive to both keeping costs down and the environment. I have been to places in Europe that use 100% renewable energy for industry and domestic use. As I keep saying all you need it the right plan.

So give me the list of actual closures and I will check them all out.

Good on you for finally asking a worthwhile question. Google is your friend.

1 Like

Gotta maintain the illusion that the crazy lefty environmentalists are going to hurt the honest triers (most of the electorate). Divide and conquer. The current way of things will save the day or are the only real choice. It’s just another angle at doing nothing. Different to outright denying AGW is happening but strangely coy on that particular thing.

1 Like

Come on EssTrip, put up or shut up !!!

I notice wolf’s I cant read a graph slip up has temporarily made him go away

For those who have some spare time, I recommend reading through this over time. I’ve gone through the first two weeks. So far, so good.

Latrobe Valley - Hazelwood
Whyalla Power Plant
Port Augusta Power Plant
Alcoa Geelong

1. Hazelwood Power Station

Fact is that Hazelwood Power Station built in 1964 is old, needed a major refurbishment to make it more efficient and owners estimated that at least $400 million was needed to bring it to safety standards. Remember that in the SECV plans it was due for decommissioning in early 2000’s. Engie the French owners also stated that it was their policy of now investing solely in low-carbon and renewable energy that drove the decision, but lower energy prices meant that they could not produce profitably. as oversupply within Victoria. It was an economic decision made by the private owner.

1. Whyalla & Port Augusta Power Plants

This is even a more interesting example. Again the private owners made an economic decision. Their coal mine at Leigh Creek, which supplied most of the power Plant coal to Port Augusta was exhausted and it closed. trainloads of coal were tracked to both power stations at great cost from Victoria and elsewhere, adding to the cost pressures.

The technology both plants was older than Hazelwood, inefficient and did not meet both safety and environmental standards. Hence the cost structures were high and could not complete in the market, It was replaced by gas-fired plans and a new large solar facility is being built. Job losses from the BHP and other steelworks closures had everything to do with the price of steel imports and nothing to do with this power plant.

In fact the new owner of the Whyalla Steelworks is planning a gas-fired plant, supplemented by solar to also service all the surrounding areas.

1. Alcoa Geelong

Alcoa saga is much more complicated, and while it has a lot to do with politics, at the end of it all it again was an economic decision by a private owner.

This plant was built in 1960 and started in 1962; and I first saw it when I sold them some equipment in the early 1970’s. While it was “state-of-the-art” over 50 years ago, it is used technology that is now redundant and new plants uses less than 40% of the electricity needed at Geelong. The politics were about the deal the Victorian Governments did to sell very cheap power to Alcoa on very long term contracts in order for the product to be produced at the right price. It was good politics, as it bought jobs and export earnings, and the SECV controlled all the power and used the Alcoa consumption at Port Henry and Portland as the base load for the large generation system it had built in the Latrobe Valley to supplement the supply from Anglesea.

The ■■■■■-fight started once Kennett sold our power generation and supply to private owners, as they were not happy to be supplying at such a low cost and while it was part of the purchase deal were always going to fight it. In any case the whole Geelong Plant needed to be re-built and it is cheaper to ship bauxite from the top of Australia to new modern aluminium plants in Asia in any case. In the end it was a pure economic decision and had nothing to do with any renewables or climate change.

So EssTrip, you can bluster and posture all you like, but in a free market capitalist economy, share-holder return will win out. All these decisions were made to make more money.

Where I blame Government of all shades, is that they did not do enough over the past fifty years to ensure that all industry was more competitive, forcing them to adhere to environmental, safety and community standards; and making sure that our economy was technology driven. The car industry is a great example of how to fark Industry Policy, starting way back with John Button and ending with Tony Abbott.

6 Likes

■■■■■■ lefty, greeny, soy latte sipping private energy companies.

So with Westpac ruling out getting involved with the Galilee basin Adani project that rules out all of the major domestic banks as well as 15 overseas banks that have been approached. With no one at home interested it will make it all the more on the nose to any overseas banks. The bean counters are wising up. Now Turnbull and Canavan have called Wespac “un-Australian” and totally can’t believe it and stuff. Everyone is jumping off this LNP (not that many were on board to begin with). It’s time to let the silly, giant, stranded asset idea go.

1 Like

This is actually bad, the government will have the tax payer foot the bill, probably take the money out of funding from blind orphan children to do it.

Then they truly are farking insane and need to be exposed for it. It would go against their own mantra on public and private money and will ■■■■ off other areas of the business community.

Thankyou DiNutori, you sure are a Dikk.

How is keeping these prikks in Gov working out for the Green agenda??

Never mind, … you got all those seats you wanted … oh,… wait…