Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

Does anyone else see the irony here?

2 Likes

Then how come you keep posting graphs that don’t prove anything other than how much power got generated on any given day and from what sorce? With no reference to capacity, and grids request on that type of power supply?

You may as well show a picture of a cat to suppor your argument

Because those poor mugs who shoulder the burden of class maneuvering and opportunism are exactly where the right wants them to be. The poor mugs who shoulder the burden. Red herrings and diversions aplenty.

You must have replied before I edited.

Where?

Would any of them be cities of 4 or 5 million?

Any heavy industries?

No backup from coal or nuclear?

Run their electric cars, trams, buses and trains on batteries?

Airconditioners, heaters, elevators, major hospitals etc. etc.

Anywhere near the North of the continent where they have prolonged and extremely cold overcast and snowy winters?

As I said in a previous post, convert Canberra, the politicians and the Left to that lifestyle and I will be convinced.

When the people who tell me there is a crisis start acting like it is a crisis then I will believe it is a crisis.

Oooohhhh, bl00dy nice. Pity they didn’t come around a few years ago though. I doubt they’ll be cost effective soon enough to install on the new digs in a couple of years, … hope so though.

Here’s the best bit …

"Made with tempered glass, Solar Roof tiles are more than three times stronger than standard roofing tiles. That’s why we offer the best warranty in the industry - the lifetime of your house, or infinity, whichever comes first. Watch our hail test video to see how we take durability to a whole new level".

What?

You wait till sorfed releases his made-from-coal roof tiles, those ■■■■■■■ will be unbreakable although highly combustible.

3 Likes

But think of all that free power once you’ve set fire to your roof.

3 Likes

Not they are not cities of 5 million, that is the issue with your closed mind.

Seneffe in Belgium has about 10,000 people and a large Dow Corning factory, one large wind turbine and battery banks.

In my view the concept of one big power source of anything except nuclear energy is the wrong approach. Local generation and supply would be much more efficient and economic for small community groups with domestic, commercial and industrial use.

Love how people use the media and politicians as authorities on climate science.

Certainly look better than the 27 ugly panels I have on my roof but the figures provided on greentechmedia are a little how would you say “flexible”.

Musk says the working panels would cover 40% of the average American home??? Best figure I can find is 2163 sq ft (201 Sqm)
GTM claims a price of $21.85USD Sqm or $29.59 AUD for 1000 tiles @ 6watts per tile for a 6Kw system.

1,000 tiles @ $29.59 = $29,590 + 2,000 dummy tile cost unknown plus installation. Deduct the cost of conventioal roof cladding, need a builder for that.

Add to that Tesla’s recommendation
"If you price out your home, Tesla will encourage you to add a Powerwall. That’ll add another $7,000 to the system.

“We recommend that every Solar Roof be installed with a Powerwall battery to enable you to use more of the solar power your roof produces and keep your home running during a grid outage. In states that do not have Net Energy Metering policies, we estimate and recommend a number of Powerwalls that will enable you to realize the full benefit of the energy your Solar Roof produces.”

GTM put cost saving of electricity at $2,250 but that is American dollars and power prices. Adjust accordingly.

GTM article:
We need to take out the Ouija board to estimate the cost of a Tesla system. Remember, the cost of Tesla solar shingles will be high, and the installation will be complex (many dummy shingles, small shingle assemblies, tricky and specialized wiring, expensive wire penetrations in attic to conceal cables, etc). Tesla said the cost of its new system amounts to the cost of an ordinary roof plus the cost of electricity.

An optimistic initial cost of $30,000AUD, a highly optimistic electricity price rise of only 6% p.a. and a pessimistic 8% return on capital over 20 years gives you a breakeven point after 12 years and $54,500 ROI after 20 years. If you invested in the stock market at 8% return you would have $140,000 ROI.

Feel free to fiddle with the estimates, electricity prices and rate of return.

One addition factor I was unaware of when I installed my system is that firefighters have an aversion to standing on roofs that are generating electricity and ripping great holes in them to gain access.

Youve got a bit skewif there sorfed.

Cost in US is $21.85 per sq ft. Actual tiles are 11, solar ones about 42. USD.

Rang Tesla earlier because there was supposed to be a calculator on their site, linked to by several Aussie articles, but it wasn’t.

They said they didn’t have it because they don’t yet know what the pricing will be here yet.

But extrapolating from US figures, I came up with a $293 Aust, per square metre cost.

So an average roof area of about 150 m2, would cost around $44K, & I think that original US price of 21 dollars or so meant before installation.

On top of that, add at least 1 powerwall for $8k plus $750 for it’s inverter etc, and installation costs on that as well, … so you’re up for about $55K if it;s an installed price, and probably $60 to 65 K if it isn’t,… and that is really only for a medium size roof.

Not feasible, (at least for me) at this point.

I suppose these guys didn’t buy a computer, mobile phone or flat screen TV when they were first on the market. I mean, the cost of those were sky high when released. How will the working poor ever afford it? No. Better to stick with Bakelite telephones, cathode tubes, horses and kerosene lamps.

As I said, every figure is “flexible” when you are dealing with green power which making calculations, no info on size, weight, power output under what conditions, cost per area and associated installation costs, auxiliary equipment, inverters etc. possible subsides and who receives them, definite life of panels not guesses.

GTM
“So Tesla will probably take the same approach as other companies and make a shingle assembly that has about 24 individual cells (a total of 132 watts per assembly), all of which would look like individual shingles. This shingle assembly would then have a pair of +/- wire connections and a junction box with an integrated optimizer (needed for rapid shutdown requirements). There will be a total of about 45 solar shingle assemblies”

You won’t get 150m2 on an average house
Telsa say only 40% of the roof can be used because of shadow limitation and the 3 foot wide band around the panels.
GTM quote 6 watts per tile (what size? who knows) with a number tiles assembled into panels. As I said, every figure is “flexible” when you are dealing with green power, obfuscation comes to mind.

GTM
“we estimate and recommend a number of Powerwalls that will enable you to realize the full benefit of the energy your Solar Roof produces.”

Your figure of $55K if it;s an installed price, and probably $60 to 65 K doesn’t take into account the savings cladding the conventional roof but I didn’t include the dummy tiles, may be cheaper than tiles or steel roofing, again no costs provided.

Forgot this:
It’ll cost you $1,000 to reserve a system. Installations will occur on a first-come, first-served basis.
Ever the one for free money is our Elon.

50k cost can give you a lot of conventional panels, batteries etc… to take you and your neighbours off grid.

If you don’t like what I have been saying don’t read this.

1 Like

Wind turbines are neither clean nor green and they provide zero global energy

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ,. … oh my god, … ohh ha ha ha ha stop it, I’m dying here,. ha ha ha ha ha ha . ohhh dear me …

Truly,… you are a complete & utter nonce if you believe that sort of garbage.

"The Spectator is a weekly British conservative magazine. It is currently owned by David and Frederick Barclay who also own The Daily Telegraph. Its editorial outlook is generally supportive of the Conservative Party.
Editorship of The Spectator has often been a step on the ladder to high office in the Conservative Party in the UK"

Coal loving Planet hating, greedy fat rich white fcukers propaganda rag.

Bring something real to the table if you want to be taken seriously.

So the statistics are wrong?
Please provide the correct ones.

Since you were taught to question everything and take nothing at face value, were there any areas of this article you felt were dubious? or misleading?

I had a skim. My view is that the environmental impact of wind power should be compared side-by-side with other methods, which this article fails to do, so I have to dismiss large swathes of it (e.g. it talks about the life cycle cost of a wind turbine but says nothing about the life cycle cost of other fuels). Also, to produce the clickbait headline “zero global energy” the author has to effectively divide the actual number by five (because he examines global energy rather than global electricity, before rounding down. A more relevant figure would be that wind produces approximately 2.3% of global electricity (calculated using the article’s own figures).

The article urges us to worry about the pollution from mining rare-earth metals in Mongolia, and later suggests more nuclear fission power. A balanced article would look at the mining impacts from all fuel sources and would not gloss over the waste production of the nuclear industry.

Overall the article gives me the impression that it is primarily a partisan journalistic opinion piece so I can’t take it very seriously.

5 Likes

Start with a belief and extrapolate everything back to it because you aren’t allowed to be wrong.