Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

I think one thing that gets overlooked is simply how everyone uses electricity. For example we recently installed power saver products for our home theatre that had a ps3, ps4, amp, sub, foxtel, projector and router. From this we saved about 45w per hour. Doesn’t sound like a lot but that’s about 1kwh per day. At 26c per kwh that’s a $95 saving per annum and 365kwh we didn’t need to produce.

We also changed the major lights in our house to LEDs with similar effect. Even something like a modern computer uses less power than one from five years ago.

Even something small, I now boil the kettle about 4pm to use the last of the days solar power and put the water into a thermos which lasts well into the night. On hot days I also used the free energy to cool the house so we don’t need to use much if any during the evenings.

I was amazing how much these small changes here and there made a difference to the power bill but also in the way we used certain items!

With the right focus we could do something similar to what the water waste campaign did. A bit of education to the general public would go a long way (that balloon ad from a while ago really didn’t demonstrate what you can do to help). If we use less energy then we don’t need to produce so much.

If we can’t agree on what energy source we should rely on why not just focus on using less energy or finding more energy efficient products!

5 Likes

I worked for AGL back then and it was probably around 40%, with that being said elec was a hell of a lot cheaper then than it is now. Also far more Aussies liked the idea of doing their bit

Great. Let’s do it then.

Do we stop the coal subsidy as well? It’s not as if the power companies are paying for the coal are they?

I’m cool for picking and choosing on who does or doesn’t do their bit depending on their if they subscribe to the AGW. As long as the people that don’t get last preference on emergency accommodation and drown or burn first.

3 Likes

All great ideas, but I get the sense themat the power companies need to keep their profits, so the price goes up! I’m sure this happened with water during the last heavy restrictions. Seems to defy my limited economics training ‘supply & demand’.

We need renewables to ‘crack the *******’ and we all get to go off the grid.

Now that is tightarsery on a level I have never before encountered.

5 Likes

Nah, for a clean electricity system long-term we DON’T want people to go off the grid.

We want everyone on the grid, we want everyone’s rooftop solar pouring power into the grid, we want every wind turbine feeding the grid, etc etc etc. Cos renewables are variable at times, we need ALL renewable generators pouring power into the grid so (for instance) sunny areas can send surplus solar electricity to where it’s needed, and so any surplus renewable power from high generation times can be stored in batteries or gravity hydro reservoirs or whatever until later. You need a big base of people and powerplants putting power into a renewable grid in order to ensure reliable supply

If people start going off the grid in large numbers it’s very bad. Cos the people going off-grid are the better-off ones (who can afford the batteries etc) which leaves renters and people who are struggling financially to foot the entire bill for maintaining the grid which is currently spread across everyone. And cos those people can’t afford to install rooftop PV or whatever themselves, they;ll need to source more power from elsewhere which means it’ll be harder to start decommissioning high-emissions generation capacity.

A functional clean grid has as many people as possible connected to it. Everyone possible should be pouring power into the grid from rooftop PV or whatever. The ones most capable of going it alone are the ones with the biggest power surplus, and they’re the ones that we most need to stay on the grid to provide power for others.

2 Likes

Jealous? :blush:

3 Likes

That is a stupid statement, CFC’s are a pollutant, CO2 is an essential plant food, since the increase in CO2 the planet has experienced a greening. If Crazy Eyes McKibben and his organisation had their way the resultant reduction in food would result in famine, war and massive population shift. The environmental movement started over 200 years ago and was concerned with the elimination of actual pollutants and degradation of the environment but has shifted in the last 30 years to a social movement aimed at only one side of politics, that and the extraction of obscene amounts of money from the public purse.

1 Like

I am curious, what subsidies are they?
The massive increase that Daniel Andrews put on coal is the reason Hazelwood closed down.

1 Like

You refuse to accept the fact that Hazelwood closed down because it was out of date and not economically viable, and the decision taken by its owners confirmed that. They decided that instead of investing hundred of millions of dollars into old technology upgrades, that they would follow the path of renewable energy.

Obviously this decision is all about money for them, but add it to the other fact that Victoria had a surplus of power generation facilities, so it was logical that the most expensive source would be the one to go.

And the increased royalties in Victoria bring this State into line with NSW and Qld, though still cheaper.

And sorfed it is not a political argument, neither left or right, just all about economics

2 Likes

And the 300% increase in royalties had nothing to do with it, just a coincidence.
As for your assertion that Victoria has a surplus of generating capacity why did Andrews crap himself at the threat of The Loy Yang shutdown.

1 Like

Look up the FACTS

Read what the French owners had to say, and read their new Company policy on INVESTMENT

Compare royalties between States and consider that perhaps Victoria has been too low for years from all Governments. And see that Victoria still produces the cheapest power.

And seeing you are so good on power consumption / generation, read all about how HAZELWOOD was farking redundant for a very long time.

Just out of curiosity what is your average daily electricity consumption?

Maybe, just maybe the royalties are are lower in Victoria because Queensland and NSW have the highest grade steaming and coking black coal and not the lignite found in Victoria.
Redundant
not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous.
synonyms: unnecessary, not required, inessential, unessential, needless, unneeded, uncalled for, dispensable, disposable, expendable, unwanted, useless;

As for the assertion that it provided expensive power try reading from one of your favourite sources, the Sussex St Soviet

Maybe just maybe that is correct.

Still doesn’t change the FACTS

What facts are they? Specify.

I do not read right wing rags.

I already outlined the FACTS, but you choose to ignore them

1 Like

See no evil, hear no evil.

1 Like