Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

Can anyone figure out why the fark the Australian government would want to use tax money to fund a South African coal mine that would directly compete with our own coal exports? Aside from coal barons just using tax money at will to keep their businesses going, that is. They’re not even bothering to make it look beneficial these days.

Here is another more inovative solution to zero emmissions.

“If we don’t measure emissions when trees are cut, we won’t measure them at all," says Hannah Mowat of FERN, a European NGO.

Farking hypocrites.

Royalties.

Certainly increases crop yield although that may change significantly by 2024 with Cycle 25 at it’s peak.

You troll the net to find obscure blogs from obscure people quoting more obscure people.

If you had been in Germany in the 1970’s like me, then you would hacve found heavily polluted rivers, hardly a tree to be seen, acid rain and thick smog in the Rhur and Rhine Valleys. The place was an environmental disaster.

Today, the Rivers are clean, air is much better, no acid rain and trees everywhere. Thanks to the Greens who fought hard, won Government and progressed into a Social Democrat Party that widened its policy base with reasoned initiatives and firm actions. Pity the Greens here did not follow their path.

In any case sorfed, your assertions are again bull sh ite

2 Likes

Can you provide more info on this please?

Do we have the technology/resources to produce the large scale batteries required to store solar/wind/clean energy at a grid level?

No but China does

http://embertec.com.au/vic/products/embertec-smartswitch/

of course the climate is changing it is what it does!!

1 Like

HEaps of modern electronics encourage you to use “standby” modes, which use fairly huge amounts of juice, rather than switching them off. Particularly games consoles which keep hard drives and maybe GPUs going to aid boot times.

There was a stat floating around some years ago that the consumption of all the PS2s left on standby in the US was equivalent to the power consumption for a city of something like 5 million people.

Even your TV, DVD player, kettle, toaster etc… Leaving the switch on the wall ‘on’ for any device will consume some amount of power.

Technically, but in a lot of cases not really. If it’s got a hard power switch (ie toaster that needs to be slid down before anything happens) it’s normally negligible.
If it’s got fancy controls/screen then it probably is drawing power. And if you’ve been conned into some web connected doodad, slap yourself in the head and then turn it off at the wall.

That’s the whole point though. The whole negligible thing is like the arguement about Australias contribution to cutting emmissions.

Take 1wh standby power. Every house hold (say 5M). In a year that’d be 43,800,000 kwh or 4,380Mwh.

This is an old article but it’s the table you want to look at. Keep in mind too the cost of electricity is closer to 27c today as opposed to 16 in the article (and the 15 inch LCD monitor is also laughable).

1 Like

Incorrect. Some do and some don’t. As an example a standard toaster will not use power unless the toast is pushed down as there is no circuit made.

Well if some do and some don’t it’s half correct and half wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way every little bit helps and it causes no harm if people start to think about their usage.

But the main point of it all was, if we use less power then we won’t need to generate as much power, meaning you can keep the coal plants running slower which means less pollution, less costs for the consumer (use less power, pay smaller bills).

1 Like

People have been dying of natural causes forever, therefore this gun won’t blow my brains out.

One thing that confused me a couple of days ago.

I thought it cost roughly $7K to put a reasonable number of solar panels on your roof, and connect them up.

And another $10K or so for a Tesla battery.

Someone was talking about $190K-$200K to properly fit out your house. When did prices go up tenfold?

They may have been talking about the new solar tiles that tesla(?) just announced. Conventional solar panels are, as far as I know, much cheaper.

1 Like