Club advertising for an additional Development Coach

Dean Soloman, Dean Rioli

They are my choices

Ummm I’d take McCartney

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Peeto87 regarding QuoteLink
Ummm I'd take McCartney

Me too. In a heartbeat.

Grouse …so next time he leaves he can take Buckets??

Fool us once, shame on him … give him any chance to fk us over again? … no way.

Ummm I'd take McCartney

All coaches need respect, they need to command respect, but respect needs to flow from who they are and what they are.
Mc Cartney has a great knowledge and a football brain, but its pretty clear he either did not command the respect of the players or it did not flow from him at the Doggies. Its something thats hard to define. Leadership, experience, knowledge, judgement, inspiration, personal interaction, passion for the game, its a meld of qualities that sets some apart. I dont believe any player should be coached by a person who does not get that respect from individuals and the group. It helps a coach if he played at the highest level. MCCartney did not and in the end he was probably too cerebral, too analytical to be a great coach.

A reply to: @Fairybread regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Ummm I'd take McCartney

Me too. In a heartbeat.

Fked us over? He got offered a head coach job.

I’d have him back too. I like his no nonsense approach to footy.

The no nonsense approach sort of “did not work” at the Doggies, when player support evaporated, and they have a good young list that should improve from 2015 to 2020

Brendan McCartney ??? He worked well with Hirdy in the 12 months we had him ! Not sure about him working under Craig tho !

A reply to: @jodo27 regarding QuoteLink

Brendan McCartney ??? He worked well with Hirdy in the 12 months we had him ! Not sure about him working under Craig tho !

He is at melbourne.

A reply to: @fogdog regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @BLOODSTAINED DEVILS regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post
Ummm I'd take McCartney

Me too. In a heartbeat.

So I’m guessing if you’re consistent you would have been angry about the appointment of Mark Harvey? Especially after he recruited Solomon, Johnson, Bradley and McPhee.

Crameri was not a surplus player at the time. He was our top forward and won our goalkicking 3 years in a row. Just a slight difference.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Ummm I'd take McCartney

Me too. In a heartbeat.

The no nonsense approach sort of “did not work” at the Doggies, when player support evaporated, and they have a good young list that should improve from 2015 to 2020

Is that a reflection of him or the playing group? Probably a bit of both. The Geelong players seemed to handle his no nonsense approach when he was there. Our players seemed to appreciate his approach when he was with us.

I think the no nonsense approach is fine for an assistant coach. Get the good cop, bad cop type thing going.

McCartney can GAGF.

Quoted Post

McCartney can GAGF.

Multiple times.

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Ummm I'd take McCartney

Me too. In a heartbeat.

Is that a reflection of him or the playing group? Probably a bit of both. The Geelong players seemed to handle his no nonsense approach when he was there. Our players seemed to appreciate his approach when he was with us.

I think the no nonsense approach is fine for an assistant coach. Get the good cop, bad cop type thing going.

Fairybread, I think we essentially agree. see my post above. Assistant coach, football brain yep, Head coach material . Something subtle missing. The je ne sais quoi of being a top head coach.

One thing that Champion data stats just released in the prospectus pointed out was that Hawthorns fringe players rated very high in the competition against the equivalent players in other sides.
That is, ( and it has been said before) the best 16 get you into the 4 and the other 6 win you the premiership.

So not only do we have to work on the best 16, but especially that group of 6 players that will ice the cake.
So that is the role of the development coaches. Make our last 6 players the best last 6 in the competition.

FB, No one would begrudge maca taking a senior gig.

I was talking about him encouraging Cram to go with him, even if Stu had turned into a bit of a sook & we may well fare better without him, it wasn’t kosher the way that went down, to which end, Fog may have a very good point,… just can’t remember the nuances around those guy’s signing with freo, as to whether Harv’s was/is as equally tarnished.

But as a bomber come home, & having helped deliver the 1st flag in my lifetime, & then back it up with another, oh & then yet another in '93 … he could never be as guilty … even if he did worse. :wink:

What about spike.
Just sayin - would mind him back

I realise he is already in a role and wants to be in Sydney.

I guess they should look past the past and bring in some new blood.

What about… Hmmm na stick with the past champions of Essendon - come on down Paul salmon. Another one of my favourites

Whats the status of Solly?

Last time I checked Solly was still an assistant coach at Gold Coast.

McCartney worked wonders with Hurley as a forward in 2012.

McCartney was responsible for us getting Zac Merrett.

I’d take him back.