Coaching restructuring

Skipworth:Mastercoach.

Empty vessels innit

1 Like

Interesting that he’s only in charge of implementing the strategy come up with by Neeld/Harding, whereas McKenna was in charge of both the strategy and it’s implementation.

Well that just shows a categorical failure.

Just seems he’s done with footy and wants to try something completely different good luck to Bluey I say.

1 Like

Mckenna was in charge of strategy?!? Not sure what vic cricket has done to suffer him now

1 Like

Midfield strategy I presume. Stoppage setups, etc.

I think they are looking to separate the roles of performance and the strategy to get the most out of each rather than having just the one person be in charge of it all. In the Rob Kerr interview about the coaching restructuring, he stated that it was a “big role” for McKenna which I take to mean that it was too much for one person to be in charge of both strategy and performance. Hopefully now that they are separated we can see some marked improvement next year in the midfield, hopefully aided by some talent brought into the club.

I suspect Skipworth must be good at working as a team with other coaches, Kerr also talked about better alignment of coaching and strategy, this is probably what worked in the forward line and didn’t work in the midfield.

Even though the coaching panel seems a bit unexciting, if everyone is working together well it might work well.

I would be expecting Kelly to step up to one of he line coach roles in 2019.

1 Like

I want see to Kelly on game day in the rooms teaching and coaching players during the breaks

1 Like

Skipworth head coach 2019? Kelly moves into midfield role.

I see Skipworth more as the Lieutenant type (could be wrong), maybe:

Skipworth back line coach in 2019, Kelly moves into midfield role.

Seems like he has flown under the radar a bit to me, but he is obviously well respected by the club and the players to make it this far. I mean if he excels at the midfield role who knows where he goes next really.

2 Likes

Hmm…

2017: Forward line coach

2018: midfield coach

2019: backline coach (as tipped by Scary)

Next obvious move following this trajectory is:

2020: cheer squad coach.

4 Likes

They could certainly use one!

I like that the coaching panel is a bit younger but there are so many talented players retiring this year which could have brought in new and fresh ideas.

I like Kelly but i feel as though we would be better served by someone that is new to the club. Or why not get in a darren bewick or ryan o’connor in one of the development coaching roles after they have been coaching their own sides. O’connor in particular is spoken very highly of.

It will be interesting to see how Skipworth goes with the midfield role, but I was hoping we would bring in someone who was actually a top-line midfielder like Nigel Lappin.

1 Like

Another way to look at it, possibly, is that we feel we are only a few tweaks away from getting all the pieces right, and therefore a big shuffle would not be helpful.

Also… traditionally, great players do not make better coaches than average players.

1 Like

Knights-era was good for large parts of it. Just went to ■■■■ in the end because the players didn’t play for the coach.

Lol ^^