Coleman gets 200 - the AFL get SOME things right

Cant argue with this rule change effort, it never did make sense ....Vlad must be on holiday.

Exclusive to essendonfc.com.au
<span style="font-size:12px;"><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-01-14/coleman-joins-200-club'>http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-01-14/coleman-joins-200-club</a></span>

&nbsp;

<span style="font-size:36px;"><strong>Coleman joins 200 Club</strong></span>

January 14, 2014 4:39 PM

20140114_Coleman_Hero.jpg

Historical image of John Coleman on the football field.

Long regarded as one of the greatest players in the history of the game, John Coleman has finally been elevated in to the AFL‘s prestigious 200 Club.

Today, the AFL moved to recognise the combined records of playing and coaching for all individuals as part of the qualification for the 200 Club.

Previously, a person qualified for the 200 Club with either 200 games as a player, coach or umpire, but did not qualify if a combination of player/coach was the only way a person could reach 200 games of service.

John Coleman made his debut in Round 1 of 1949 against Hawthorn. During an amazing career, Coleman kicked 537 goals (including 12 on debut), was his club‘s leading goal kicker each of the six years he played and led the VFL goals tally on four occasions. He was the first and still only player to kick 12 goals on debut and 100 in a debut season.

Coleman went on to become one of Australian football‘s greats. Coleman went on to play 98 games for the Bombers, and before his career was cut short by a knee injury, the high-flying Coleman had played in two VFL premierships (1949 and 1950) and his achievements subsequently earned him selection in the AFL Team of the Century and induction into the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

He later coached Essendon for seven seasons, including premierships in 1962 and 1965, before passing away aged 44 in 1973. 

Former Essendon players Keith Forbes and Robert Shaw were also elevated to the 200 Club. Forbes was a small kicking rover and was twice runner-up in the Brownlow Medal. He played 152 games for Essendon. After playing 51 games for the Bombers from 1974, Shaw coached Fitzroy between 1991-1994 and Adelaide from 1995-1996.

Exclusive to essendonfc.com.au

If only he was playing in this day and age...

Would mark ball at the highest point for sure...

Well deserved. Congratulations to the Coleman family.

He would be way too old.

He would have had his knee fixed up and been back on the park so he could qualify for the 200 club the old way, by playing over 200 games.
For once they've made a rule change that should please everyone. Go figure.

He would be way too old.

I'd hold him up

He would be way too old.

Give Fletch someone his own age to chat to.

Same must be true for neale daniher (82 + 222) but he is not mentioned in the article?

Same must be true for neale daniher (82 + 222) but he is not mentioned in the article?

Speaking of Neale, any news on how he is going?

Neale is already a member of the 200 club as he coached over 200 games. The ones in the article had a combined 200+ games when playing and coaching are combined.

Neale is already a member of the 200 club as he coached over 200 games. The ones in the article had a combined 200+ games when playing and coaching are combined.

LOLZ. First sign of alcohol abuse in a bomber fan.....not being able to apply obscure AFL rules to Danihers...happened to me in 2000...or was that the millennium bug? ;-)

Still don't see how Shaw gets in.

LOLZ. First sign of alcohol abuse in a bomber fan.....not being able to apply obscure AFL rules to Danihers...happened to me in 2000...or was that the millennium bug? ;-)

LOLZ In that case the disease is far more advanced in me than I thought

Finally some good news form the AFL on the footy front. 

That's the second sign ;-)

I thought the second sign was forgetting which number Anthony daniher wore

Still don't see how Shaw gets in.

True. 51 (playing) + 130 (coaching) = well short.

Do they count pre-season games, intra-clubs, and aeroplane yahtzee games for coaches?

I thought the second sign was forgetting which number Anthony daniher wore
There was an Anthony? ;-)