Commentator Nepotism

Is it just me or does anyone else notice the same 5 or 6 guys floating around commentating across every different media outlet 

Turn on the TV, Gary Lyon

turn on AFL.com  Gary Lyon

turn on the radio Gary Lyon

not that I dislike Gary, he is good but you could equally replace his name with one of the other guys

Brian Taylor, Hutchy, Richo, Ling, LLoyd (although I do truly love him)

James f*** Brayshaw  (someone please get him some cough syrup for his throat)

etc

The point I am trying to make is that it seems like a round-a-bout where no one new gets a chance in the industry it's just the same guys covering EVERY bit of footy media

sometimes it's refreshing to listen to the interstate radio stations on the AFL app just to hear a different voice!!!

-_-

That’s how that ■■■■ Campbell Brown got a job.

AFL commentary is just woeful full-stop. Whoever was the executive that thought BT was worth a 5 year deal on television (including finals) needs to be shot. 

That’s not what nepotism means btw.

This is probably closer to cronyism.

That's not what nepotism means btw.
This is probably closer to cronyism.

Nepotism is rife in the Tasmanian Football League.

The only way to become a FOOTBALL EXPERT is to be anointed as one by another FOOTBALL EXPERT.

Football knowledge, intellegence and eloquence plays no part whatsoever.

exactly. then when you see the news cycle...they write an article on day X, they talk about it on Radio he next day, then on their show the following night, then theres a Saturday morning panel where all the hournos talk about each others articles which theybe been quoting on all week.

Tell me the last time you saw an article which was an in depth interview with a player or coach. Whens the last time you saw an in depth analysis of a game plan or strategy by a journal. 

AFL media is just Days of our Lives on Stilts.

Let me add, Dipper is another one living on the coat tails, appears to have an ongoing role with the AFL, then floats to the surface around finals time.

even after saying in reference to an indigenous player (might have been Michael Long) "not bad for an ***. 

whats a nepotism

It does look like it.

I think back to the 1980's and widespread the talent pool was.

Part of this was amount of radio stations who broadcasted footy and how bits of each would be the tv commentary.

whats a nepotism

Neopets.

whats a nepotism

Neopets.

Neo-poets

Is it just me or does anyone else notice the same 5 or 6 guys floating around commentating across every different media outlet 

Turn on the TV, Gary Lyon

turn on AFL.com  Gary Lyon

turn on the radio Gary Lyon

not that I dislike Gary, he is good but you could equally replace his name with one of the other guys

Brian Taylor, Hutchy, Richo, Ling, LLoyd (although I do truly love him)

James f*** Brayshaw  (someone please get him some cough syrup for his throat)

etc

The point I am trying to make is that it seems like a round-a-bout where no one new gets a chance in the industry it's just the same guys covering EVERY bit of footy media

sometimes it's refreshing to listen to the interstate radio stations on the AFL app just to hear a different voice!!!

-_-

"Yes Gary"

Nothing ■■■■■ me more than the continual whacking off over each other for the most menial, banal sentence - when one of them manages to spit one out in one go, reading straight from a press release.

"John Smith has been dropped"

"He's been dropped has he Gary?"

"Yeah that's right, he's been dropped" (typically with a third muppet screaming over the top in the background)

"Great stuff Gary".

"It's a big call isn't it?"

"Huge call"

"Mmm"

"Best in the business Gary. Any idea why that might be?"

"Rumours are around. Club refusing to confirm"

Padding, padding, padding.

even after saying in reference to an indigenous player (might have been Michael Long) "not bad for an ***. 

He referred to himself, as a wog.

that may be true, but he also referred to Wanganeen (sorry i thought it was Long) as an "abo" during a paid talking event, then went on to tell someone who confronted him about it "youll get over it"

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/robert-dipierdomenico-dropped-as-auskick-ambassador-over-gavin-wanganeen-abo-remark/story-e6frea6u-1225881334474?nk=2719338c3092c15b6fe453d0e99a20aa

The boys club. It plagues cricket too.

The best ‘commentators’ or ‘special comments guys’ are ex-coaches. They give the best insight into what is going on strategically.

Whoever wins the next media rights, should put together the best ex-coaches available and sit him next to someone who commentates the game.

The emphasis needs to be what is happening on the field. Not what’s on twitter. Not what’s happening off field. Not rubbish information or waffle about nothing. Sort of the way the NFL handle their broadcasts.

Do that and the ‘AFL brand’ won’t be such a big issue.

"if he's so farking smart why isn't he a coach"

overheard a current player saying this re: david king. lolza.

The best 'commentators' or 'special comments guys' are ex-coaches. They give the best insight into what is going on strategically.
Whoever wins the next media rights, should put together the best ex-coaches available and sit him next to someone who commentates the game.
The emphasis needs to be what is happening on the field. Not what's on twitter. Not what's happening off field. Not rubbish information or waffle about nothing. Sort of the way the NFL handle their broadcasts.
Do that and the 'AFL brand' won't be such a big issue.

Yep exactly.

So to Leigh Matthews, Robert Shaw, Terry Wallace and Tony Shaw that are supposedly the best. The latter struggles.

To substitute him..Dermott Brereton.

that may be true, but he also referred to Wanganeen (sorry i thought it was Long) as an "abo" during a paid talking event, then went on to tell someone who confronted him about it "youll get over it"

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/robert-dipierdomenico-dropped-as-auskick-ambassador-over-gavin-wanganeen-abo-remark/story-e6frea6u-1225881334474?nk=2719338c3092c15b6fe453d0e99a20aa

Did that last part really happen? Wanganeen said in his interview with Open Mike that dipper rang him right away and apologised.

Christie Malthouse was rubbish

Samantha Lane is rubbish

Hamish McLachlan is rubbish

Oh wait, this isn't a thread about nepotism....