Computer problem

Chrome settings and scroll down.

992d633dc3.png

Firefox, not Chrome.

But the fix you mentioned is similar on FF, sets default browser alright, but not “default browser when opening new tab”… Very frustrating, as Bing is close to the stupidest thing ever.

Anyone know a good place to buy a replacement laptop battery. I've got a 2 year old ASUS K53S who's battery has just completely shat itself.

Anyone know a good place to buy a replacement laptop battery. I've got a 2 year old ASUS K53S who's battery has just completely shat itself.

ebay

Hey nerds. I just got the NBN turned on, with 50 Mbs through spirit telecom. When i first set it up, I did a quick internet test and got 13 Mbs  down and 12 up. Now I am lucky to get 2 Mbs (2 hours later). 

All the lights on all the boxes are blinking the right colour, so I am not sure what is wrong. Anyone had any problems like this before?  I know I won't get 50 Mbs, but I was on faster than this with my ADSL2. DAMN YOU LABOUR. 

Hey nerds. I just got the NBN turned on, with 50 Mbs through spirit telecom. When i first set it up, I did a quick internet test and got 13 Mbs  down and 12 up. Now I am lucky to get 2 Mbs (2 hours later). 

All the lights on all the boxes are blinking the right colour, so I am not sure what is wrong. Anyone had any problems like this before?  I know I won't get 50 Mbs, but I was on faster than this with my ADSL2. DAMN YOU LABOUR. 

i read that in slow motion, with a stutter. 

PRE, you're a genius. I had dynamic IP address on, it should have been static. Cheers. 

PRE, you're a genius. I had dynamic IP address on, it should have been static. Cheers. 

:lol:

:lol:

tell me something i don't know. 

you're freaking welcome. 

DAMN YOU AND YOUR NBN ACCESS!

Wow, lucky this thread is here. I have a problem.

My PC keeps randomly shutting down. It's been doing this for a long time now (since March maybe). In that time I have replaced the power supply, the processor, the hard drive and the RAM. And it still does it. There's no warning - everything just switches off. I've checked that it's not overheating (barely got above 30 in the tests), I've tested the machine with a version of Linux instead of Win 7 and it still happens. Same with XP (so I'm guessing it's not software based...). Brackets inside the thing have been adjusted so they aren't vibrating drives or other components too much. Once it switches off it generally takes a few tries to start back up, kind of like a car trying to turn over. Sometimes it'll get itself running after a few tries and give the screen about running in safe mode as it boots. Sometimes it just won't start at all. So I turn it off at the wall and leave it for a while. Then, maybe, it'll work again. Sometimes for a while. Sometimes for days. Sometimes about just long enough for the desktop to load. Then it goes again. Kind of frustrating.

So, since it's apparently none of the above what the hell else could it be?

its-in-the-computer-o.gif

My PC keeps randomly shutting down. It's been doing this for a long time now (since March maybe). In that time I have replaced the power supply, the processor, the hard drive and the RAM. And it still does it. There's no warning - everything just switches off. I've checked that it's not overheating (barely got above 30 in the tests), I've tested the machine with a version of Linux instead of Win 7 and it still happens. Same with XP (so I'm guessing it's not software based...). Brackets inside the thing have been adjusted so they aren't vibrating drives or other components too much. Once it switches off it generally takes a few tries to start back up, kind of like a car trying to turn over. Sometimes it'll get itself running after a few tries and give the screen about running in safe mode as it boots. Sometimes it just won't start at all. So I turn it off at the wall and leave it for a while. Then, maybe, it'll work again. Sometimes for a while. Sometimes for days. Sometimes about just long enough for the desktop to load. Then it goes again. Kind of frustrating.

I would suggest the motherboard. Although another thing to investigate could be the power switch on the case. I once had a cheap generic-branded case, and it developed a faulty power switch. I can't remember exactly what the symptoms were now, but I'm pretty sure it would turn itself off or reset randomly. Probably not the usual cause for these sorts of problems.

I would suggest the motherboard. Although another thing to investigate could be the power switch on the case. I once had a cheap generic-branded case, and it developed a faulty power switch. I can't remember exactly what the symptoms were now, but I'm pretty sure it would turn itself off or reset randomly. Probably not the usual cause for these sorts of problems.

Or faulty power supply*. Power supply is easy to test if you can find an old one lying around. I had this a while ago, just completely random power offs. Sometimes doing nothing, something in the middle of a game. Sometimes after a minute, sometimes after 4 hours.

* I realise you've said this but that's been my experience for complete randomness. Maybe you got 2 dodgy ones? Did you get one that's properly rated or with enough Watts for your system?

Or faulty power supply*. Power supply is easy to test if you can find an old one lying around. I had this a while ago, just completely random power offs. Sometimes doing nothing, something in the middle of a game. Sometimes after a minute, sometimes after 4 hours.

* I realise you've said this but that's been my experience for complete randomness. Maybe you got 2 dodgy ones? Did you get one that's properly rated or with enough Watts for your system?

Yep, this would have been my suggestion if he'd not already replaced it. Pretty common cause of this sort of problem, so wouldn't hurt to test it with another if you can find or borrow one.

I'm pretty sure the power supply was the right wattage and such, but it can't hurt to try another one. Someone else suggested it might be the motherboard soldering having cracked. Not sure how likely that is.

Anyone else had wi-fi issues where some devices connect fine but others don’t? My laptop (Windows 8) connects, however my phone (Samsung Galaxy s4), iPad and PS4 don’t. I have found the network and logged in using the correct username/password, however it keeps saying I’m not connected to the internet…

Water is conductive. Dip all the offending devices in water for a good few minutes and try again.

{Or reset the wifi password & re-set the router & re-enter the network settings on all your devices - a lot of cheaper routers sometimes get annoying little bugs like that after some months}

Anyone else had wi-fi issues where some devices connect fine but others don't? My laptop (Windows 8) connects, however my phone (Samsung Galaxy s4), iPad and PS4 don't. I have found the network and logged in using the correct username/password, however it keeps saying I'm not connected to the internet...

Try setting dedicated IP addresses. Fixed my issues with my Xbox.

Anyone else had wi-fi issues where some devices connect fine but others don't? My laptop (Windows 8) connects, however my phone (Samsung Galaxy s4), iPad and PS4 don't. I have found the network and logged in using the correct username/password, however it keeps saying I'm not connected to the internet...

Try setting dedicated IP addresses. Fixed my issues with my Xbox.

This. Static IP