Computer problem

Wow, lucky this thread is here. I have a problem.

My PC keeps randomly shutting down. It's been doing this for a long time now (since March maybe). In that time I have replaced the power supply, the processor, the hard drive and the RAM. And it still does it. There's no warning - everything just switches off. I've checked that it's not overheating (barely got above 30 in the tests), I've tested the machine with a version of Linux instead of Win 7 and it still happens. Same with XP (so I'm guessing it's not software based...). Brackets inside the thing have been adjusted so they aren't vibrating drives or other components too much. Once it switches off it generally takes a few tries to start back up, kind of like a car trying to turn over. Sometimes it'll get itself running after a few tries and give the screen about running in safe mode as it boots. Sometimes it just won't start at all. So I turn it off at the wall and leave it for a while. Then, maybe, it'll work again. Sometimes for a while. Sometimes for days. Sometimes about just long enough for the desktop to load. Then it goes again. Kind of frustrating.

So, since it's apparently none of the above what the hell else could it be?

When you replaced the processor, did you re affix a new heat protective film? Could the processor be overheating but nothing else?

Anyone know a good place to buy a replacement laptop battery. I've got a 2 year old ASUS K53S who's battery has just completely shat itself.

Master instruments. I'm not sure what their retail pricing is like but their stuff is good.

Wow, lucky this thread is here. I have a problem.

My PC keeps randomly shutting down. It's been doing this for a long time now (since March maybe). In that time I have replaced the power supply, the processor, the hard drive and the RAM. And it still does it. There's no warning - everything just switches off. I've checked that it's not overheating (barely got above 30 in the tests), I've tested the machine with a version of Linux instead of Win 7 and it still happens. Same with XP (so I'm guessing it's not software based...). Brackets inside the thing have been adjusted so they aren't vibrating drives or other components too much. Once it switches off it generally takes a few tries to start back up, kind of like a car trying to turn over. Sometimes it'll get itself running after a few tries and give the screen about running in safe mode as it boots. Sometimes it just won't start at all. So I turn it off at the wall and leave it for a while. Then, maybe, it'll work again. Sometimes for a while. Sometimes for days. Sometimes about just long enough for the desktop to load. Then it goes again. Kind of frustrating.

So, since it's apparently none of the above what the hell else could it be?

When you replaced the processor, did you re affix a new heat protective film? Could the processor be overheating but nothing else?

If you've replaced all that you say and " Sometimes it just won't start at all. " I would be looking at your MotherBoard.

Maybe try a bios upgrade for it or replace the MB. How old is it ? What brand/model MB and CPU ?

Sounds like the motherboard battery is dead. Try replacing it.

We are looking at replacing the laptops for all our staff.

We have previously gone with HP, and we do not have any really special requirements, except we all want the fastest and I am really confused by what processor speed and size of RAM actually means.

So can anyone give simple advice on what is the fastest and best

RAM = working memory
Processor speed = how many calculations the main processor can do (per second)

What do your staff do with their computers? Technical stuff? Or just admin type stuff?
Is portability a requirement?

This is a pretty simply rundown explaining what you are looking for.

Fastest on a pc is like comparing a f1 car to a rally car. f1 car would be useless on a dirt road and rally car won’t be much chop on solid roads.

Link should help you narrow it down though :slight_smile:

macbook pro/airs it just works… /s

but like hap said depending on the use of the staff you might get something totally useless for the application.

My workplace recently went over to a Surface style tablet/laptop.

Really really good for what we use it for - about 60% desk, 40% portable, and largely only MS office, browser based plus one or two bits of pretty light technical s/w. Absolutely brilliant for taking into meetings or training courses & jotting endnotes etc, or for tracking equipment/inventory around sites.

You can push it to its limits if you’ve got, say, an NBA stream running onto an external monitor and every other app we use running at the same time, but nobody does that…

Mixture of uses, so maybe one size doesn’t fit all.

All use email and MS-Office stuff.

Service guy has diagnostic software that interfaces with instruments

Technical Team use CAD and crunch a lot of numbers.

Would love to use Apple but much of our software is not Mac compatible.

How do you get ariund the need to load from CD

A. Let these people choose/make suggestions, & vote.

B) Never Apple.

In my experience, most new computers don’t like talking to old gadgets.

I only realised I didn’t have an optical drive about 2 months in. I have to have one, a lot of the gadgets I work on only export to media. Bought a portable drive, cost $40, lives in its box most of the time.

Alternatively use a computer which has one, create an iso image of the disc, copy it to a usb stick and voila!

Rubbish.
Apples have their uses.

Right tool for the job.

Once upon a time, (Jesus, is it really near 20 years ago already?? :frowning_face:} Macs were better at certain things, like Art, Graphic design, Music making, etc, but these days, there’s nothing they can do that there’s not an equivalent for, … so why would you after all the shitt they’ve pulled ripping people off?

Where once I favoured them, and thought the world of Jobs, they’ve just proven themselves an arsse of a company over the journey IMO.

Wouldn’t give them a cent.

2 Likes

once upon a time, windows will never catch up to apple’s touch pad tech.

At first reading I thought you were calling me an old gadget.

Well, to be fair…

1 Like

I swapped from Windows to Mac in 2012, and have since had infinitely less stress from computers.

The gadgets I work on don’t have USB, so thanks for the suggestion…