Congestion. How to stop it?

Honestly. I think it is bullshit created by KB. So there often a couple of ball of in a row. So what. I don't think the number of repeat ball ups is anywhere near intolerable. I do think umps should call for it quicker though.

I actually think we need to make sure ballups are still a big part of the game. Preserve the importance of ruckmen and ruck skills. KB is the ultimate troll, wants less stoppages but also less running and also less maintaining of the ball by kicking it around, and also wants to do away with zone defences - ie everyone stand still, boot the ball as far as you can and randomly run after it.
Man's a fool.

That's pretty much the way the game was played in his time, wasn't it?

1. Number of players on the field reduced to 14.
  2. Lines and zones painted all over the ground, for the sole purpose of precluding certain players from entering certain zones.
  3. Interchanges reduced to 40 per match (per side).
  4. Time Outs
  5. Any time there is a ball up within 5 minutes of the last one, a second ball shall be released onto the field until a goal is scored.

If a goal is not scored within 5 minutes of multi ball action, a third ball shall be released into the play, and so on until a goal is scored.

The problem is the umpires aren't the smartest guys going around. They struggle enough with the rules as they are. Not to mention protecting certain players. 

If we add in more rules, it adds to the confusion for them, the players and most importantly the spectators.

LEAVE.THE.GAME.ALONE!!!!

This is such horse bull.

"Rolling rugby scrum"

"Rolling rugby Maul"

"Rugby Scrum"

All just the latest rot that the media has jumped on board with and started spewing out at every opportunity.  Someone high up starts it, then all the mindless followers like Richo, Tom Harley, David "Best analyst in the game" King, Brad "War room" Johnson just waffle about it at every break of play.  Such a load of old tosh.

This is such horse bull.
"Rolling rugby scrum"
"Rolling rugby Maul"
"Rugby Scrum"
All just the latest rot that the media has jumped on board with and started spewing out at every opportunity. Someone high up starts it, then all the mindless followers like Richo, Tom Harley, David "Best analyst in the game" King, Brad "War room" Johnson just waffle about it at every break of play. Such a load of old tosh.

The should just 'soccer it' off the ground. No more mauls, but probably less chance of someone taking a big catch.

So players exploit the existing rules with unattractive tactics in an attempt to get the ball? Big deal, they’re out there to win, not keep ex-players happy. In the end congestion doesn’t win games, goals do. These tactics will change.

I’ve accepted that footy as I knew it when I grew up is dead at the highest level. Footy mid-late 80s to early 90s was probably the best to watch because there was no flooding, it was man-on-man and most notably players held their positions. If you played on the wing, you stayed on the wing, half-forward very rarely ventured past the centre line into the defensive half, and wingers and midfielders barely folded back to fill space in defence. That play is conducive to high scoring and full-forwards kicking big bags. That is gone now, you only have to look at the goal kicking table, 65-70 goals will win this years Coleman. Zones would be so difficult to police, far easier to do so in netball where the playing field is considerably smaller.

How I feel watching the game these days

Thanks for opening me to a well needed rant on this topic.

First a disclaimer, I am a Paul Roos fan, as a player and coach, and as much a people bag him on here, I LOVE how he is giving it to the rules committee and umpires at the moment.

The first step to removing congestion is to get rid of the rules of the game committee, start a committee and they feel they need to do something to justify their time and pay, hence the game bastardised by KB, the worst person possible to be on the committee.

Next, we need to stop having a bunch of soft intellectuals on the umpiring and MRP. Put the guys who understand AFL and how it’s played make determination on how’s it’s adjudicated. Guys like Paul Kelly, Hird, Stuart Maxwell, Simon Black. Tough champions who know what the struggle is about.

The next thing they need to do is stop changing the rules or interpretations of the rules and apply them to the letter of the rule book. That includes the scragging of defenders on forwards a which should allow them to take more grabs and kick more goals.

By paying free kicks for what they and stoppages are there and warranted the players and coaches will find ways to blow the games apart . Every coach wants to be like the cats of 07, smashing teams.

Allowing the sometimes leaneancy or rule of the week etc they are effectively rigging the game. As am example some weeks Ryan Crowley can stop the oppositions best forward other he can’t.

The rules are not the problem, it’s the people trying manage the game to look a certain way that are. There are too many variables in AFL every time you change something there are hundreds of unknown consequences, all of which have created the abomination we currently have.

/end rant for now

Ross Lyon and Paul Roos playing noughts and crosses.

LOL Ross Lyon — and noughts and crosses is such a good example, as if you play it right it is impossible to lose.

The problem is, it‘s also impossible to force a win.

(For those of you who have not thought about it: the only acceptable starting move is the middle, and the only acceptable response is a corner. After that point no one can force a win.)

Mylanta.