Cooking

You can soak them first. I’m not allergic but heaps of old recipes used to make you soak them to remove the bitterness.

I’ve found resting them in the rubbish bin removes all bitterness too.

9 Likes

Wonder whether I might be too as I get an itching sensation in the back of my throat whenever I eat eggplant. Allergic to most nuts and eggs too; get a similar sensation in my throat if I eat them.

1 Like

Homemade pizza the other day, worked a treat when carb loading for marathon.
Meat free for a change. And using home grown tomatoes.

7 Likes

You peel them first, right?

4 Likes

Had a bit of a Cornish pastie craving this week. I remember making them in cookery class at school. Loosely followed this recipe but added parsnip, carrot and substituted Veal for beef:

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/marys-cornish-pasty\

I also got slack and used frozen shortcrust pastry. Great with a bit of hot Onion jam.

6 Likes

What’s on the menu tomorrow?

We’re cooking up tamarind prawns served with some crusty sourdough.

Will post if I can restrain myself enough to take a pic.

1 Like

I think I may cook baked rainbow trout or perhaps kia ora salmon. I guess it’s gotta be fish right?

2 Likes

So the tradition goes. I did just tell my 7yo that Jesus was crucified because he was a vegan and that’s why we don’t eat meat on Good Friday.

If there’s a hell I’m probably going.

8 Likes

Based on the number of apostles who were fishermen, the vegan bit might be a bit far-fetched.

Pescatarian, maybe!

But with the beard, the long hair and the sandals, vegan’s a possibility.

1 Like

Made pinwheels with my 6 year old for tea tonight.
He likes marmite and cheese and had some ham and cheese ones. He spread the marmite out and put the cheese on and rolled it up.
Then I got a bit inventive later and added some roast potatoes to some and also did a ham/tomato cheese one to use up the pastry.

7 Likes

It’s cool enough to start having hot pots again.

Having one tomorrow.

A good session at home takes 2 / 3 hours! :smiley:

1 Like

So, anyone got one of these little Japanese BBQs? I think it’s a Konro, and I think I need one!

Should’ve bought one in Japan last year, FFS

@JohnRain do you know how much these cost locally for a medium sized one?

https://i.imgur.com/6Sq676J_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

3 Likes

And the better half’s breakfast is served today!

5 Likes

I hope that’s the small one because I could destroy everything on that grill!

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s the medium, serving about 4-6 people.

I think the idea is you have a huge tray of different things to cook and just cook as you need more, rather than giving everyone a plate full of food.

The thing is supposed to get ■■■■■■ hot, so only a couple of minutes to cook.

Would be perfect with beers, as the picture clearly shows

1 Like

Yeah I was drooling. Better than the sardines on toast I just had. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

My brother has got a small one of those Japanese grills, looks a bit different I think, but same deal quick cooking.

Haven’t been invited round for dinner yet… ■■■■■■■.

3 Likes

Holy ■■■■ this just happened.

image https://i.imgur.com/vqF0jH2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Probably one of the easiest, but most impressive, big cook ups.
Slow roasted lamb shoulder from the Coles magazine. Simple!

9 Likes

I checked this particular brand out earlier on Amazon Japan and found the above one for around 5,600 yen or so (not including delivery). Spotted a few others even cheaper, but they may be smaller. 3,800 yen or so. I don’t think it really matters which brand you buy.

The clay/ceramic ones can be prone to cracking (something to consider). The metal ones are cheaper, but less attractive (if that is important to you).

The really important thing to keep in mind is the charcoal. Japanese charcoal is the best in the world. You need to source some ‘binchōtan’. That is the key. If you use run of the mill charcoal (and I mean heat beads type stuff) you can get the chemical taste through the food, unless you really make sure they are completely ashed over before using them. I use briquettes (heat beads) for my larger BBQing, but for small stuff like yakitori, it would be much better to use some quality binchōtan (this makes all the diff).

2 Likes