Cooking

Thanks so much.

5,600 yen, so less than $100AUD?

They retail for about $400 here.

And yes I’ve checked out that charcoal, don’t think I’d use anything other than it. Can get it in AU for reasonable price.

Might still get one.

1 Like

Stuff him, KJ. You are always invited to my joint, mate. :wink: Plus, I am reasonably confident you would enjoy digging through my vinyl. :grin:

1 Like

$400? Biz opp right there. Coincidentally, I had an acquaintance back in OZ pitch the idea of exporting hibachis to him a few years ago. I kinda ignored the idea for some reason at the time, but had no idea that they sold for that much. May need to revisit.

Celebrating last night’s victory by cooking my first ever Boston butt for dinner tonight.

Here’s hoping it all goes to plan. This is at the starting gate:

3 Likes

Keep us updated.

Also all the details, what rub, what you smoking in, hot any decent gadgets?

This was about half way through, wrapped it up from here and will be turning up the heat.

Basic rub (salt, pepper, garlic & onion powders, cayenne, brown sugar, paprika, celery salt) sprinkled it with apple cider vinegar every half hour or so. Used a few handfuls of cherry wood chips at the start.

No real fancy gadgets, just a PBC and a thermopen.

And pacing myself in at about a rate of 1 can per hour.

3 Likes

What you drinking? (Hopefully it’s not a 14 hour cook time)

Looks great.

Lol nah, don’t reckon I’d see the end if I did that!
Just finishing off a few cans of Pirate Life pale ale.

Hard too say with the time, generally cooks quicker (I know that’s not the done thing) should be about 6-7 hours.

If you find a bit on the rug tomorrow morning, will you eat it? (Anastasios1979 might know the answer)

2 Likes

Salivating. Great stuff, KJ.

2 Likes

A bit got stuck on the grill earlier, all nice and crisped up, thought about giving it to the dog…nah Fark that!

Will probably give him some leftovers later.

1 Like

3 Likes

Happy with the first up effort, 6 hrs all up but hurried at the end. Will start earlier and stretch it out to 8 hrs next time.

No complaints at the table. Went very well with the Mrs’ apple/cranberry slaw.

7 Likes

Anyone done olives at home?

Got a shot tonne of Kalamatas, and never been able to get them right.

Salted/dried in a Muslim bag seems to work well, but I’d love to be able to bring some (without having to cut them).

My mum brines olives from her trees. Takes a few months. Basically make up a brine with loads of Salt, vinegar and herbs/spices. Put olives into a big bucket with a lid, fill with brine, seal lid, store somewhere dark and cool and wait 3-4 months. Google for brine ratios and ingredients.

1 Like

I’m not interested in eating fake chicken, especially if it would remind me of chicken chicken, but I love the female entrepreneur’s description of her product -

"…it’s a clean, lean piece of protein that’s fxxking delicious”

On an overcrowded planet, I think this type of vegetable protein product, and insect burgers are the way of the future. Alternatively, you carnivore types will go feral and start hunting us vegans. And don’t tell me if you were hungry that you would wait for 2200 to try it out.

Wright, D.W.M., 2016. Hunting humans: A future for tourism in 2200. Futures , 78 , pp.34-46.

hhhhrrrggggg…soylent green made from people…sourced by Bomberblitz Carnivores Inc.

We have a big olive tree in the back yard and we went to the local Italian winemaker who also does olives for advice.

First year
Mrs Fox soaked olives in salty water in the bath for 10 weeks, changing the water every three days, then she put them in jars with a vinager, oil and herb mixture for six months. It was hard work and expensive but we had about 100 jars of olives.

They tasted ok but we picked them too early so they were a little tough.

Second year
Fark all olives, Mrs Fox gave up.

Third year
Big crop, I picked them at correct time, and followed what Mrs Fox did in Year one. They were much better and tasted ok.

However I did the sums, and it was cheaper to buy them from Coles, less work, cupboards not taken over by jars of olives and Coles olives tasted better !

We no longer pick them?

I have lots of jars for sales and various olive pip remover tools, none of which work easily.

3 Likes

Ah, the joys of simple living!

2 Likes

For those of you who like BBQ

Best thing for cooking I have ever brought was a kamado. I just got a cheep bunnings (Char Griller) one. Ceramic ones are supposed to be better again but are much more expensive.
Have been using it 2 to 3 times a week ever since I got the thing.

Does everything from low and slow smoking, steaks, and wood fired flavoured pizzas. There is a bit of a learning curve to start, but now everything is second nature, quick and easy (for a charcoal cooker). Food taste so much better on this thing then anything else ive ever cooked with.

1 Like