Cooking

Some pizza shops even sell bases or dough.

Iā€™ve always made my own pizza dough, but every time Iā€™ve done it Iā€™ve found it to be one of the most horrendously messy kitchen jobs youā€™ll ever do. Iā€™m probably just doing it wrong somehow, but itā€™s appallingly sticky, and thereā€™s two kneading stages (before and after you let it rest to rise) which spread it all over the place and no matter how much flour I put down the entire kitchen, bench, bowls, utensils etc and your hands up to the shoulder get covered in this claggy crud.

Thanks for the replies folks

Are there any other dishes other than pizza that are suited?

pizza dough is incredibly easy if you have a clean bench, and are using a good surface, like stone bench tops.

I use this recipe and it never fails.:

For the dough
800 g strong white bread flour
200 g fine ground semolina flour or strong white bread flour
1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
2x7 g sachets dried yeast
1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
650 ml lukewarm water

This is a really simple method for pizza dough and a great place to start if youā€™ve never made your own bread before. If you can find semolina flour, it gives the dough an authentic flavour and texture. But if you canā€™t find it, strong white bread flour will also work.

To make the dough:

1. Pile the flour and salt on to a clean surface and make an 18cm well in the centre. Add your yeast and sugar to the lukewarm water, mix up with a fork and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the well.
  2. Using a fork and a circular movement, slowly bring in the flour from the inner edge of the well and mix into the water. It will look like thick porridge. Continue to mix, bringing in all the flour. When the dough comes together and becomes too hard to mix with your fork, flour your hands and begin to pat it into a ball.
  3. Knead the dough by rolling it backward and forward, using your left hand to stretch the dough toward you and your right hand to push the dough away from you at the same time. Repeat this for 10 minutes, until you have a smooth, springy, soft dough.
  4. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let double in size for about 45 minutes.

Iā€™ve found that proofing the dough in the fridge overnight works really well too.

I use my Kitchen aid mixer to make dough which solves the kneading issue but I find the recipe doesnā€™t multiply well so if weā€™re firing up our pizza oven (wood fired) I have to do heaps of loads. What places sell dough?

My dad goes here for all his baking supplies.

I use my Kitchen aid mixer to make dough which solves the kneading issue but I find the recipe doesn't multiply well so if we're firing up our pizza oven (wood fired) I have to do heaps of loads. What places sell dough?

my neighbour sometimes gets it from the local bakery.

Less is more on a pizza.
donā€™t pile it high with diced ham and cheese

Less is more on a pizza. don't pile it high with diced ham and cheese

especially with fresh, home-made dough. makes it impossible to smoothly get it in to the pizza oven.

I hope mrs pre is reading this.

love a pizza with ham mushrooms and olives.

our standard is topping is crushed and drained tomatoes, mozzarella/bochinis, kalamata olives, prosciutto or hot salami, onion, fresh basil, minced garlic , all applied in that order. Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

Place on really hot pizza stone, into really hot oven with grill on high.

Middle rack.

Ready in a few minutes with crispy base!

Having been forced to go low gluten, low on lactose, garlic-less and onion-less due to a set of guts that hate me: ā– ā– ā– ā–  you all!

Dealing with everything else in the diet, but FODMAP diets are the sworn enemy of pizzas.

You havenā€™t been able to reintroduce them? Poor thing, fructan intolerance (garlic, onion) is my worst nightmare!

so you can basically eat spuds hap?

Chicken hot pot (chicken breast, zucchini, tofu sheets cut into strips, red onion, soy sauce, mirin, sake, dashi) with dried shitake mushroom rice for dinner tonight.

Hopefully it will all go well.

white wine vinegar, olive oil, honey and dijon - the single greatest salad dressing of all time.

So I just bought a shiteload of ripe - to must eat now - mangos for sweet FA, and need to use them up toot sweet, and was thinking of turning them into a few litres of sorbet, as well as just some frozen cubes of the firmer ones.

Do any blitzers have any tips??.. or a good, & hopefully simple sorbet recipe/method.

youbgit a thermo mix? Apparently they make great sorbet!

Donā€™t make a cake out of them itā€™ll taste crap.

So I just bought a shiteload of ripe - to must eat now - mangos for sweet FA, and need to use them up toot sweet, and was thinking of turning them into a few litres of sorbet, as well as just some frozen cubes of the firmer ones.

Do any blitzers have any tips??.. or a good, & hopefully simple sorbet recipe/method.

Equal parts sugar syrup and mango purƩe. Churn. Simple