Coteries

I have never been a Member of a Coterie, but have many friends who are, and along with Mrs Fox have been to many Coterie events.

This is much angst on Blitz about Coteries and allegations of buying influence with donations or pressuring Board.

I have directly asked the Leaders of a few of these Bomber Coterie Groups and all claim that is a strict rule that this does not happened and any of their Members would be kicked out if they tried it. Even asked one of the Clubs biggest single donors who reportedly has put millions into the kitty when needed, and he laughed at the suggestion.

So all you Blitzers who slag Coteries, can you give evidence of your alleged Club corruption or are you just jealous and envious that you are not part of a Coterie.

For what it is worth, while Coteries appeal to some, I prefer to watch the footy with a beer and a pie in my seat, dressed how I want, and not sitting around a table eating with a knife and fork drinking red wine.

3 Likes
I presume it's exac like being a Stonecutter!

the good far outweighs the bad with the them

I was a member of a coterie group for a short time. I discontinued as it really didn’t appeal and with my kids getting close to the age of going to the footy, I wanted to enjoy a few more years with mates standing in the “outer”. In my time within the group all people I spoke to stressed they do not get involved in club politics as strict rule of the coterie. However I certainly wasn’t an established member so can’t speak with real certainty to their involvement.

To be honest, I don’t really know a thing about them. But am curious.

Thanks for your money

1 Like
To be honest, I don't really know a thing about them. But am curious.

Lucky antman has been banned.

Offering to pay out a coaches contract so we can sack him earlier.

My dad picks the fruit

That goes to coterieeeeeeeesss

1 Like

" Contries never say die"

do they hang out in cloak rooms?

i’l get my coateries

Where do we sign up?

Which time ?

I have heard a lot about Ron Kirwan who raises a lot of money for our past players ,hes a wheeler and dealer and very good at it .
Always volunteering at the club having large functions for the players at his home
Nothing is too much trouble for him so he deserves a bit of respect .
Some of our past players are in trouble as i recently heard of one who was once wealthy now living in a caravan,others need operations from thier playing days,they help people like Mark Eustice ,Alan Stoneham .
Ron is our #1 ticket holder and a life member of the Essendonians.

3 Likes

Which time ?

Knights

How many coaches have we had in last 30 years?

I presume it’s exac like being a Stonecutter!

Everyone believes that they know how to fix the clubs problems. But money shouldn’t mean that you can influence people in the club to get your point across. I certainly believe I can fix the clubs problems but I also know that I know very little about the internal workings of the Essendon football club.

I certainly don’t want Essendon to turn into an International Cricket team where politicians and people with money have a heavy influence on who gets selected and other working of the team.

I presume it's exac like being a Stonecutter!

Everyone believes that they know how to fix the clubs problems. But money shouldn't mean that you can influence people in the club to get your point across. I certainly believe I can fix the clubs problems but I also know that I know very little about the internal workings of the Essendon football club.

I certainly don’t want Essendon to turn into an International Cricket team where politicians and people with money have a heavy influence on who gets selected and other working of the team.

Welcome to how football clubs run

This is the one that springs to mind.

Schiavello, a member of the Diamond Dons coterie group for more than 20 years, and another key financial backer, met Essendon chairman David Evans yesterday to voice their disapproval of Knights' coaching. ... He said he and other coterie members would walk away from the club if Knights stayed in 2011.

“I am happy to pay my share if they need to pay him out,” Schiavello said yesterday. “If there is anything Essendon want me to do, I will always put my hand in my pocket – whatever I can afford.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/diamond-don-michael-schiavello-ill-pay-to-get-james-hird-in/story-e6frf9jf-1225907525347

The problem is just that money talks, so high value members who act like regular members are going to have an undue influence even if they don’t mean to. If I tell the club I don’t like what they’re doing and stop giving them my membership money, I’ll get an email saying they’re sorry I feel that way. If someone who puts hundreds of thousands of dollars into the club says they’re going to stop, the club is compelled to pay more attention.

1 Like

Essendon Coterie groups do a great job for our Club. Much of it goes unrecognised & is done without fanfare, especially in relation to player support & welfare.

But yep there are all sorts of ways of supporting the Club.

Be a Coterie Member & tip in big through your wallet.
Be a Club Member & actually attend games, events, training etc.
Be a fan who buys souvenirs & barracks from afar.
Or any combination of the above.

Of course you can just be a loud mouthed know all on Blitz instead.