Could an "AFL Clubs Association" work?

It's not really about the number of clubs required under the rules to force a veto or anything though, is it. The AFL wanted to tax football department spending, had the support of the poor clubs, the cautious interest of the middle tier clubs and the outright hostility of the richest two or three clubs. Now here we are with the richest clubs disproportionately advantaged by the halfway version that they forced the AFL into.

Clearly if the top 8 or 9 clubs together and decided to do something, it would get done. The real issue for mine is that basically no club seems to give a toss about anyone but their own club, to a pathological degree. They don't look at someone getting screwed and think "that's one slip up away from being us", they think "ha ha ha, that could never happend to us". End result, they just do whatever the AFL says, then scream blue murder when they get screwed.

I don't think the clubs are going to bother changing the structure of the competition until the AFL does something that poses an existential threat to the competition, and while the commission are incompetent dickholes they're not quite bad enough to break a product that the customers would walk over broken glass to watch.

What part of the licensing do the AFL own? Surely they can’t own the name Essendon, so would it be Essendon bombers and the red and black jumpers?

As an example, could we be the Essendon Dons and have red and black striped guernsey?

What part of the licensing do the AFL own? Surely they can't own the name Essendon, so would it be Essendon bombers and the red and black jumpers?
As an example, could we be the Essendon Dons and have red and black striped guernsey?

Try selling stuff on eBay with "Essendon" and "football club" on it and see how you go.

What part of the licensing do the AFL own? Surely they can't own the name Essendon, so would it be Essendon bombers and the red and black jumpers?

I couldn't register bomberblitz.com.au because AFL owned the copyright on 'bombers'.

I couldn't register bomberblitz.com.au because AFL owned the copyright on 'bombers'.

thats worse than the alternate strip, evidently we sold our soul years ago.

Trademark, not copyright no?

If it was a forum about planes it would be allowed.

Trademark, not copyright no?

If it was a forum about planes it would be allowed.

let me have my overreaction

I’m not showing them my Essendon tatts then, they’d want an arm and a leg…literally!

bombreblitz.com.au 

theoretically if essendon, collingwood, hawthorn, west coast, adelaide, geelong and carlton sat down one saturday arvo and said we just dont feel like it today theres sfa the afl could do.
short of getting liz lukin to say something mean about them.

As much as I love the sentiment. I think you will find the AFL own each club's licence and we wouldn't be able to play as Essendon in any other competition.

Yeah. So many people forget this. Pretty much the sole reason why the league has never had to endure a 'Super League' situation. Which is a shame as I'd like even more reasons not to give a ■■■■ about football.