Countdown Clock - Just call it basketball

So the AFL have announced that a 30 second countdown will be shown on video screens when a player is shooting for goal from inside 50 to help umpires. Wow. Is it April 1st?

Discuss.

Phase em out and get HAL to do everything.

…why wasn’t this trialled in the NAB Challenge?

...why wasn't this trialled in the NAB Challenge?

Why would you trial things in the PS comp though? Don’t afl just trial everything in season proper?

Apparently they did. Can’t say I noticed it.

Why would you trial things in the PS comp though? Don’t afl just trial everything whenever the fark they want?

EFA

I really am at a loss trying to figure out why the AFL insists on implementing so many of the rule changes, interpretations of rules changes, “additions” to the “match day experience” etc that they do.

I really am at a loss trying to figure out why the AFL insists on implementing so many of the rule changes, interpretations of rules changes, "additions" to the "match day experience" etc that they do.
Simple answer is too much money means they employ too many people who need to then justify their existence by changing things that never needed changing in the first place.

It’ll be fantastic when the video operators get it wrong and fail to stop the clock while the ump lines him up etc. So many fifties to be paid when the ump knows there’s still time to go but the opposition want to rush in.

Is Matthew Lloyd making a comeback or something? He was about the only one ever penalised with this rule when it was first brought in, wasn’t he?

Gil - “well the thing is we do whatever we want and everyone loves us and we’re amazing and we do what we want and next question”

Thing is - when most of your umpires can’t count past 10 - this is a necessary step…

100% hate it

imagine if its a pressure game, pressure moment, like right at the end of the game, maybe a minute left, 4 points the difference

this sport isnt like basketball where teams can score within a few second, making every second vital and important… if a player takes 10 seconds longer to kick for goal, so fkg what? theres 7,2000 seconds per game at least… what difference will maybe 1 or two hundred more make when lining up for goal?

this is an absolute nonsense imo

Gil - “well the thing is we do whatever we want and everyone loves us and we’re amazing and we do what we want and next question”

Eh. Who cares? We already have the shot timer. Now we just see it.

To be honest, I couldn’t care how long a player takes to kick at goal - in a reasonable sense. A team has managed to put itself in a position to score, they should be allowed to go back and take their kick.

C’mon guys, this isn’t a rule change created on a whim by some hotshot at the AFL to get people talking about AFL in the lead up to round 1 to take headlines away from the F1 GP this weekend, this is a deeply considered and researched decision.

I’ve managed to get hold of the top secret research paper behind this decision, and some of the key pieces of information behind this decision include:

• the average time it takes for an Essendon player to take the shot for goal
  • the average amount of time opposition supporters can sustain the booing of an Essendon player as they shoot for goal
  • the average amount of time opposition supporters can wave their giant pom poms as an Essendon player shoots for goal

As I said, deeply research. It’s definitely not about grabbing headlines and conversation on the weekend of the GP