It’s pretty simple, Digs.

Every person deserves protection and freedom, unless they’re dirty mussos

Just look at Australian refugee & visa policy over the last 10-15 years

Thousands of Karen Burmese settled

Rohingya left to - literally - burn

It’s fine.

They’re mussos.

2 Likes

So your theory is the International Criminal Court, UN, Amnesty International, Bangladesh, Malaysia and every other ■■■■■■ are lying about a genocide for… what reason exactly?

Never said anything even remotely like that, nor implied it. Read his bit about the large percentage of the population deserve what they’re getting due to not standing up. If you don’t understand the situation with the military over there, then that’s just a stupid comment. The people lead the most basic of lives and are fed the information the powers want them to hear. The vast majority of them have absolutely no idea what’s going on up there at all and if they do, it’s from propaganda spread from the military.
It’s an amazingly complex country that I have spent a hell of a lot of time in. His comments were insulting and as I said before, naive.

3 Likes

Bet the good people of Myanmar aren’t as simple as he thinks we are.

Diggers, give it up. My family is from there, I don’t appreciate your crap. If you think every Burmese person deserves to be tarred and feathered due to something they have absolutely nothing to do with, please keep your uninformed opinions to yourself. Do some research on the country’s history and you’ll see it’s littered with turmoil and the military is behind a very large chunk of it including the subject you’re fixated on.
I believe you’re in Perth? There is a fairly large Burmese population over there, most of which came to Australia as refugees after being forced to flee from their own country. Those in power aren’t too fussed about who they discriminate against. If you ever meet one, have a chat about it.
So again, please give it a rest. I know you’re a prolific poster but your original post on this was poor and quite a bit of it offensive.

4 Likes

Ignore @Diggers, he is just playing his normal troll.

I have many Burmese friends and have been there over the years. Beautiful country, beautifuk people trying to live under the heel of a corrupt military.

Diggers is a Swans supporter who should just fark off.

None so blind.

1 Like

Keep trolling, moron. Jog on.

I have no idea how much o the general population either knows about or supports the actions taken against the Rohingya. But Aung San Suu Kyi clearly either supported it, or for the first time was willing to act as a patsy for the Military. Which is very saddening.

2 Likes

From my POV, she made a deal.

1 Like

At least she still has a house to be arrested in.

From the Bangkok Post.

Shocking hypocrisy

Re: “Free detainees, govt tells junta,” (BP, March 12).

While the whole world should be condemning the deplorable and worsening situation in Myanmar, the Thai government plumbs the depths of hypocrisy by asking the Myanmar junta to release detainees (some reports put these as high as 2,500 and increasing daily).

Students here continue to mount protest after protest against Thailand’s own “military junta” and the junta’s response is to hunt down and lock up more and more of them on dubious charges, including increasing its use of the draconian Section 112 (lese majeste) law.

How can General-■■■-Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha keep a straight face asking Senior General Min Aung Hlaing to listen to his people, when he has closed his ears to so many of his own people?

On another issue, the Myanmar junta’s appointment of Israeli-Canadian lobbyist, Ari Ben-Menashe, for a PR campaign to tell the world “what is really happening in Myanmar”, is risible.

Putting aside Ben-Menashe’s own lack of credibility – he has previously worked for despots like Zimbabwe’s Robert Mugabe, Sudan’s military junta and presidential candidates in Venezuela, Tunisia and Kyrgyzstan – “what is really happening in Myanmar” is readily available for anyone with internet access.

This includes distressing videos of the Tatmadaw firing live ammunition indiscriminately into protesting crowds, killing so far at least 60 civilians, the savage beatings administered by the equally thuggish Myanmar police force and the heroic but futile attempts of some brave Buddhist monks and nuns and some Christian nuns to place themselves between army/police and protesters praying for them not to open fire again.

No PR campaign – it is reputed to be costing $2 million – can hide or expunge these truths.

David Brown

Anyone else interested in going to this?

Bloody protests in Myanmar leave at least 21 dead

At least 21 people have been killed in Myanmar after security forces fired on demonstrators in the country’s main city Yangon.

Protesters wielding clubs and sticks were shot in the city while demonstrating, with the death toll estimated to be at least 21, the BBC reports.

The military junta declared martial law in the area after Chinese businesses were attacked.

The bloody violence came after some politicians ousted by the military coup called for “revolution”.

1 Like

Is there a reason Chinese businesses were attacked? Is the Chinese government a supporter of the military junta?

There is some arrangement between the 2 countries. China is taking massive amounts of water from the Irrawaddy and other resources also but have no idea what Myanmar gets in return. Certainly wouldn’t be a surprise though.

1 Like

China has refused to criticize the junta, nor question the legitimacy of the military to rule. So, yeah.

1 Like

I got an email last night, to say this action has been called off.

The action has been rescheduled, it now back on, tomorrow. l will be attending. Anyone else interested? PM if you are going, so we can meet up.

https://www.facebook.com/events/820357492237038