COVID-19 Round 14 - tiering into the abyss

Unlikely as the team is staying up at Noosa. Indooroopilly is on the other side of Brisbane.

1 Like

I’m fuming and nothings been announced yet.
There’s no game at marvel today GET IT DONE

5 Likes

im gonna assume judging off the fact that theres only 1 exposure, is that this person was an existing PCC who breached iso to go to the shops.

Probably best case scenario if thats the case.

1 Like

Reduction in Transmissivity is being trumped by the healthcare system model. We can’t hold up unless we’re 70%…

1 Like

I have little insight into NSW systems. Our contact tracers have only ever used Vic systems and handed contact information between states when cases needed to be handed over. If we ever do work with them, anything I hear will be second hand, so also may lack some detail.

I think Sutton said no contact tracing team in the world could handle more than 100 cases a day. We were swamped at 50 cases a day, and that was when we only isolated PCCs, not SCCs. Under the Vic system at the time, all SCCs were classified as CCCs and grouped with them, which were unrestricted, but asked to monitor for symptoms. For months, our workers would work 12-15 hour days and not get through the day’s tasks. So more work would pile up each day. Even if they’d been given unlimited nurses and student doctors, the capacity for training while also doing the work is limited, so they were also given 3 call centres, which also took time to train and refine scripts etc. And it was quickly discovered they could only halve the workload at best, as they couldn’t answe questions, and because of inefficiency in being able to provide answers, people had to be interviewed all over again when inevitably they were escalated back to actual contact tracers. About the same time, there was a lot of negative press about how bad Vic contact tracing was, and that’s when all the abuse started, and a good day was when less than half the interviews weren’t abusive. Many of the original contact tracers burned out around that time. The ADF provided staff to add to contact tracing personnel, which added structure to medical knowledge, and systems were built on the fly, to plug gaps. Many corners simply had to be cut in order to process the high number of close contacts, until number were much lower.

50 cases a day would be at or over the limit if you were only isolating PCCs. Much lower if you’re trying to also isolate all SCCs and tier 1 exposure sites. Possibly well below 20 per day on an ongoing basis. 20 per day is fine on day 1, but 2 weeks of 20 per day produces tens of thousands of people in isolation over a 2 week isolation period, and the follow up work with them all gets quickly overwhelming. 50 a day probably pushes people in isolation toward hundreds of thousands over a 2 week period if you were actually able to trace all PCCs and SCCs and all exposure sites, which would be close to impossible.

As for the under investigation number, you can apply your workforce to certain metrics like that one without overwhelm, but the number of close contacts that work then produces is an impossible task for the remaining workforce.

I don’t think NSW will be too proud to accept any contact tracing help they can get if/when we can give it. They may not promote Vic publicly, but behind the scenes, I have no doubt they probably work together just fine.

7 Likes

So that’s the Devon Plaza case (exposure - this Wed) that wasn’t in iso.

Strangely that new exposure site hasn’t even yet been tweeted by DH. I wonder what’s going on.

2 Likes

It’s not a fair comparison to compare VIC’s recent outbreak control with NSW, because they’re both on a different scale, but the fact that we could move from high numbers to low is some reason for optimism in lockdowns still working on Delta. However, we did also have virtually every case contact traced perfectly, so the jury may still be out on whether lockdown alone works on more widespread transmission with Delta.

“Stop spreading COVID Devon!”- some loser umpire

8 Likes

Booked my Pfizer Jab. Now on the wait list

10 Likes

Surely they’re only on a different scale due to the timeliness of intervention? Had NSW acted early like Vic did, they would likely have contained it also.

2 Likes

Ok…

If we lose today due to the absence of Lauren Ahrens then burn QLD to the ground… but get her out first.

One of the 2 cases out in the community the whole time. Known link to current outbreak tells us that they didn’t want to Isolate… big FU to the rest of us…

2 Likes
2 Likes

The problem is you (and truthfully we too) are trying to understand a complex problem with simple logic, limited understanding, and without complete data. It’s an impossible task, that the world’s best minds are only beginning to gain knowledge on.

To understand it better, look at the history. We started off with a pretty dangerous virus, in the Wuhan virus, which had enough tricks to evade the world’s virus containing and mitigation strategies. Every single strategy the world tried failed, except perhaps NZ’s extreme measures to eliminate it. It couldn’t be ignored, because it overwhelmed hospitals quickly. We learned a lot about how it attacks, and improved out treatment methods and discovered useful drugs from our arsenal with trial and error and much communication between countries’ top experts. We developed different containment and mitigation strategies, and several extremely effective vaccines in an astoundingly short period. Everything was looking good, as we had developed a lot of knowledge, methods and tools to solve the problems COVID threw at us.

Delta is a new curve-ball in our strategies to contain the problems this virus presents, and the best minds are again gaining information and tackling the problem of containing the immense damage it can wreak on our social systems, both in regards to health and economy. Not a single country has “got it right” or solved the issues yet. I believe that will happen over time. And this time around, we’re only extending our knowledge of how it affects us, not re-learning from scratch. But the more we learn, the faster we will get to a place where we can live with it without it ruining health and economy.

Trying to ignore or belittle the problems COVID presents is no better than believing we should remain locked down forever. None of those 2 extremes works, as many countries have already shown. All the experts in their fields are adding to the collective pool of knowledge, and the overall response is improving over time. The vaccines will improve, the mitigation strategies will improve, and treatments will improve.

The only alternative is to ignore the science, believe instead that either everyone else in the world is wrong, or this whole event is some mad plan that everyone else in the world but you is working on and trying to keep secret from you, and rise up against the evil master-plan. Which of course, would fail, because everyone else in the world is more than you could tackle even if you wanted to.

Trust the process and give it time. Things will get better. If it stresses you out, walk away from forums, and spend time doing things that recharge you while we have a respite to enjoy some freedom, for as long as that lasts.

13 Likes

There’s really gotta be severe punishments for breaching iso

This soft, weak as ■■■■ worsfold like approach is starting to annoy me.

You shouldn’t be getting a slap on the wrist for potentially risking other people’s health and the state economy/people’s livelihoods

4 Likes

Yep, potentially billion dollar impact if it leads to another outbreak and lockdown. Not to mention the health effects.

The outbreak in Nanjing is being brought under control, I did my 3rd test two days ago. Unfortunately I’d has spread around the country. Root cause identified, overseas flight has positive case, contracting company doing the cleaning the planes were not wearing correct PPE. Got infected and it spread from there. Most cases around the country can be linked to people passing through airport. Cases in Beijing are from people who falsely declared that they did not pass through Nanjing airport and have spread it.

4 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be as much stress over the few cases which have been out in the community.

Why?