COVID-19 Round 19 - Stick a Forklift in it

Do you have to wear a mask whilst outside your cabin?

Hope Mrs FJ, is okay now she is on the antivirals.

1 Like

Take care Foxy ones.

1 Like

With shift work you’re a prime candidate for tinnitus. Lack of sleep makes you easy prey as you become less able to handle stressful situations as you well as you would if you had sufficient quality sleep.

Tinnitus (Subjective) is essentially a reaction to stress - whether that be a stressful period of life you’re going through or your auditory system is not what it once was and it’s being pushed to hear more - but either way - you’re hearing your own neurological noise - which is actually the tinnitus - because ironically you’re body is designed to protect itself and it’s pumping up the internal sensitivity of the hearing system to give you the best chance of survival. The catch is - once you hear it, you focus on it and it begins a bad cycle of increasing the internal gain of the hearing system and strengthening the pathways between stress, auditory gain and emotion and boom - you’ve got bothersome tinnitus.
Covid, medication etc… they’re all doing the same thing damaging the auditory system and the auditory systems response is to go harder and you begin hearing your own neurological response.

OR it’s a a physical response (Pulsatile tinnitus) to a benign tumour.

If it’s in one ear only or if it pulses - then get it checked.
If you feel a bit a numb around the ear then get it checked.
If you’re starting to veer or be a bit off balance - then get it checked.
Get a hearing test (I know a good audiologist :wink:) and if there’s an asymmetry - get a referral to an ENT and get an MRI.

A few ways to deal with it. Main one is to find the trigger - which one of the above is causing it?

If it’s stress - try and remove or reduce the situation causing the stress. If it’s hearing loss - get a hearing aid.

Then in quiet situations - use sound habituation. Download an App called Widex Zen Tinnitus - play the sounds at a level no louder than your tinnitus when it is audible - I.e in quiet periods like when you’re heading off to sleep. The idea is to have a sound present that your brain hears but you don’t focus on - there are a heap in the app. And thirdly relaxation and mediation. Fourth - try and get good sleep.

So getting back on topic - Covid causing tinnitus is most likely a result of stress - either stress because it is damaging the auditory system or stress because you’re feeling crap.

PS and of course - don’t support Essendon - we’ve probably all got tinnitus!

9 Likes

Yes anywhere outside the cabin.

2 Likes

I’ve had Tinnitus for as long as I can remember but Covid certainly ramped it up to another level. The missus the other day commented on how loud the cicadas were. “Nah” I replied. “I hear them every day.” I can’t even imagine what silence is anymore. I certainly agree that lack of sleep contributes to it getting worse.

1 Like
4 Likes

The deaths just don’t stop and the numbers are awful.

4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Can’t see that happening. Those in the vulnerable category should already be getting boostered when they can but I can’t see much if any tolerance for even just mask mandates let alone social distancing measures and lockdowns again. Protecting yourself has become a personal responsibility rather than society’s responsibility now.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear your news @foxyjim. Will be keen to hear how quickly your wife recovers on the anti virals (wish we’d had them).
Very bad luck to have your cruise spoilt.
Hope you stay -ve.

1 Like

Thanks, after 3 days she is a lot better.

11 Likes
2 Likes

The article itself is an interesting and worthwhile read.

1 Like

Legitimately curious- why would states bother continuing to post case numbers when there is only a minuscule amount of people actually reporting when they test positive (if they test at all).

Seems like a waste of resources with incorrect data. Surely we’re at the point of just moving on.

The case numbers can still help with gauging whether transmission is increasing or decreasing from week to week.
Yes, the data isn’t exact and the amount of testing is reduced. But it is still a handy metric to compare across a month to see a trend.

It doesn’t mean if it goes up, you must react to it. It’s just data.

1 Like

I’m thinking that they want people to be aware that it’s certainly still out there (& yes, in much higher numbers than they’re reporting) causing hospitalisation and deaths each week. Hopefully this will continue to make people more conscious of the need maintain hygiene practices such as washing/sanitising hands, staying away from others if unwell and wearing a mask if you have ‘cold like’ symptoms. This has health benefits beyond Covid so is worthwhile I think.

I think one of the more important stats is the hospital admissions. This is probably the better indicator of where we sit in this wave.

4 Likes
1 Like