COVID-19 - January 22 to March 22

11 other cities in lockdown now with approximately 33 million people effectively in quarantine. I think the Chinese initial estimates will be well off the mark. Having been to a few of these cities I can only imagine how difficult it will be to enforce the lockdown and spread of the virus

1 Like

Three more cases now confirmed in NSW.

Every now and then I look at this thread title and with it geing joined as one word, … just for a tick it almost pronounces in my head as “Carnivorous”, … which leads me to this song, .

And any excuse to post a Band of Skulls track will do … :yum:

You’re welcome. :smirk:

All 4 cases are people who have come from China, no one in Aus has it as yet according to the papers.

One week incubation period, any A/a cases unlikely until next few days. SARS had 8,000 cases but only one A/a case.
This virus only 1300 reported cases but 4 in A/a already. Who thinks those figures are rubbish.

A/a what does that mean?

1 Like

Australia

1 Like

They have whole cities and provinces shut down but there are only 1300 confirmed cases. Yes of course those figures are full of it. A figure i was told from someone with links to China is closer to 100000 cases. It will be somewhere in between those two figures.

Are you suggesting that the number of cases in China is under-reported or that the four confirmed Australian cases are bogus?

Under reported chinese cases.

Thats a big gap between those two figures. The fatality rate would also have to be vastly under reported as well.

I’d thought Armenia or Angola or Aruba.

2 Likes

It’s a tough one because you don’t die from coronavirus, you die from things like pneumonia or other chest infections. So it is possible that deaths are being under-reported because they were not aware they had the virus.

Might well be the case. Anecdotal reports I’ve read are painting a pretty dire picture over there, with medical facilities overwhelmed. Mind you, panic among uninfected people is probably contributing to that situation.

The number of cases in China have been well under reported IMO.
Wuhan has over 10 million people spread out across the 3 main original cities. Plenty of the city is to put it nicely “slums” with very poor living conditions. The current cities quarantined have a combined population over 35 million with many more citizens in the provinces surrounding the area. There has been literally millions of people from those areas moving throughout all parts of China and the rest of the world

1 Like

All 4 cases in Aus are from Wuhan apparently, and it appears most of the others from around the world are the same from what I have seen in reports.

People should be MUCH more concerned about developing diabetes or heart disease than catching this strain of corona. Not quite as sexy clickbait though.

Yes, it all started in Wuhan but my point is the first reported case was in December and Wuhan airport alone would see at a rough guess 50-60k passengers arrive and depart daily. It’s one of the biggest hubs in the rail network in China and has 4 massive railway stations which would move millions each day. Then you have its position on the Yangtze as a major port so who knows how many people have been moved in the last weeks. Then you have the cars, bikes, scooters etc and this is just one city so it would be fairly easy for the virus to spread. Wuhan airport has direct flights to many countries in the across the world so I wouldn’t be surprised if many more cases appear in the coming weeks

1 Like

4 Likes

Could you imagine our Government saying this? LOL as if! It would take 15 days just to decide how to word it. 5 years to build it, 5 more years until it opens, and 5 more years until it is fully staffed. 15 years not 15 days.

“Wuhan will be building a second hospital with 1,300 beds in the next 15 days, according to Chinese state media People’s Daily.”

2 Likes