Crichton Medal 2018 - Karmabomber: you were wrong!

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Sorry I forgot, anytime someone doesn’t agree with something it’s whinging and hatred

3 Likes

His son is part of the JHA I believe

I choked up when Timmy talked about Rama’s health battles in the lead up to the most courageous award. Brilliant pics @Koala - thx kindly for sharing.

1 Like

No you dipstick, I was being silly.

Pfft whiner

2 Likes

I have a bit of a beef with the voting system. No problems with Smith winning but because the number of votes caste is high, it can disadvantage disproportionately somebody who is injured mid matches or misses a match.
To miss one match severely hampers a player’s likelihood of being B & F; or even being injured early in a match lessens the possibility. I think that this is unfair, that a player can lose the B & F simply through being injured in one or two or more matches. Or suspended, as the case was with Merrett last year. The punch he landed cost him the B & F.
This season, Heppell lost by 10 votes. He was knocked out half way through the second quarter of the Brisbane game having been clearly best on ground to that point. So, he probably would have received 25 votes had he not been knocked out. How many did he get for his one a half quarters. I’d be guessing, but perhaps 10?? Is it fair that being knocked out early in a game might well have cost him the B & F?
The weighting of the voting system is odd to me.

How is that any different to any other voting system?

FWIW: winner this year 370 points. Winner last year 451 points.

Daniher could be a handy pick-up in 2019.

5 Likes

He could win the bnf and the most improved. Double whammy

1 Like

Were you being silly before or after @efc1robbo called you out for being for your stupid comment, or was it after you called him a dipstick for no reason?

Just remember folks, as long as you don’t have an opinion you’ll be safe from IT’s potshots.

3 Likes

Are you so punch drunk for having your ■■■■ handed to you on a plate you couldn’t see a lighthearted attempt to direct people back toward supporting the Bombers instead of fighting?

So instead you decide to abuse me for saying nothing to you at all, not even addressing you in the slightest.

And what potshot did I have to anyone in here about having an opinion? Nothing, not once.

On that note, does anyone know when they changed the voting system? Players used to be able to get up to 30 votes a game, not 25. I assume there’s one less person giving votes now.

Neeld?

Every player is rated from 5 to 1 in every match by the 5 coaches. So every time you miss a match, one would lose at least 5 votes. A top player could expect to get at least 12 to 15 votes for most matches, potentially 20 to 25 in some. So missing a match is extremely costly.

But if votes were given for, say, the best 5 players each week, 5 down to 1, the most they would lose by missing a game is 5 votes.

The award really is for the most consistent player who plays the most games. Commendable, but not necessarily the best player. A player should not be so heavily penalised for missing a game, or part thereof

3 Likes

I haven’t done the full research but “up to 8 players up to 10 votes per coach” definitely still existed in 2013. So identical to what you’re describing but at that time it was 4 coaches voting. It was the same arrangement in 2012 but was only 3 coaches in 2004.

Partial numbers below which may give you a clue:
2018: first scored 370, tenth scored 267 (winner was Smith)
2017: first scored 451, tenth scored 344 (winner was Daniher)
2016: first scored 378, tenth scored 224 (winner was Merrett)
2015: first scored 456, tenth scored 120 (winner was Hooker)
2014: first scored 520, tenth scored 227 (winner was Heppell)
2013: first scored 431, tenth scored 191 (winner was Goddard)
2012: first scored 551, tenth scored 177 (winner was Watson)
2011: first scored 332, tenth scored 216 (winner was Zaharakis)
2010: first scored 291, tenth scored ? (winner was Watson)
2009: first scored 335, tenth scored ? (winner was Watson)
2008: first scored 256, tenth scored ? (winner was Hille)
2007: first scored 251, tenth scored ? (winner was Hird)
2006: first scored 239, tenth scored 135 (winner was Lucas)
2005: first scored 308, tenth scored 142 (winner was MJohnson)
2004: first scored 322, tenth scored 144 (winner was PhcMee)
2003: first scored 301, tenth scored 135 (winner was Hird+Lucas)
2002: first scored 312, tenth scored 140 (winner was MJohnson)

1 Like

I know McPhee is a bit of a punching bag on this forum, but gee he had a sensational year in 2004- just dominant and supremely confident in his game. His deterioration as a player over the next few years was nothing short of remarkable - and quite sad. Was never the same player - however he copped the whipping boy tag hard too and IMO was never as bad as some would portray… But I digress.

3 Likes

Yeah, wasn’t very classy of me :slight_smile:

At least I know someone is reading.

Do we know that everyone gets votes?

I think the fact he was so good in his first year worked against him as expectations were so high. He was so clean and a revelation off half-back, then he just turned into McFumbles. I think he was a useful warrior for us in his last few years, have nothing but respect for him as a player for us.

2 Likes

Same always loved him. He seemed to lose a lot of confidence under knights, almost seemed to doubt himself especially his kicking.

3 Likes