Cricket Part II

Totally says it like it is, pulls no punches

2 Likes

A couple of young players to watch:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/aussie-teenager-jason-sangha-enters-sachin-tendulkar-ricky-ponting-territory/news-story/ed600aa3f08a1f7e461ff64306ddc35a

Thing is, I don’t have to ask him.
He made a double century against South Africa, so

1 Like

Then got dropped

He was a good batsmen no doubt, but the way he portrays himself you would think he was Bradman.

Don’t seem like the smartest guy either, constantly would have a go at the selectors and then want to get picked after that.

From memory he did play the Boxing Day test against SA and not do that much.

Should he of been in the Aussie side around that time, most likely. Seems his personality might of been what helped keep him out

You’re probably right, but it seems like certain people get to be arseholes/problem children and others don’t.
AB. SWaugh. Warner. Ask Whitney about Rod Marsh.
Law (although I get it was difficult to break into that side anyway), Jones, Hodge.

It seems like you can be a jerk, as long as you’re ‘our kind of jerk.’
Couldn’t care less if Hodge was a strong personality, you won’t convince me he was the worst.
And he absolutely should have played more Tests, both prior to and after his Test career.

4 Likes

Fair call. Can’t argue with any of that. No doubt the selectors seem to have their favourites and stick with them no matter what.

Having some political allies in the dressing room would also make a difference. Apart from Warne(vic) I don’t know if he had anyone else sticking up for him.

Whereas half the team are NSW so you know they stick together

1 Like

What I reckon killed Hodge’s career was a test in Oz against South Africa.

Last ball of the day
Hodge on strike
Punter at the other end
Fielder called in to forward short leg (I don’t call it bat-pad)
Obvious the last ball is going to be short at the body
And Hodge fended it straight to the fieldsman

Avoid it
or let it hit you
Don’t soil your strides and fend it to short leg

Then he spent the rest of his career whining about it

Now down on the synthetics playing at East Sandringham Boys Club.

3 Likes

It’s not always down those lines, ie Katich and Clarke hated each other, Smith doesn’t seem to rate Nevill. Marshes don’t have many other Westralians but keep coming back.

I think we can all agree that when you start buggerising around with team selection, when you start playing ducks and drakes
it ■■■■■ the side for years to come.
And the selection for this Test tells me we’re not even out of that pattern yet.
So
we’re not as good as we could be.

Reckon you have to have a very particular point of view to think that’s any sort of okay.

Being the protĂ©gĂ©e of Dean Jones doesn’t help your selection chances.

Farkin’ Andre Nell! He was one annoying cricketer.

Has a hat ever been made that could fit on Graeme Smith’s bonce?

3 Likes

“I look back and I’ve digested it many times, and the one thing that kills me is I only ever got out below 23 three times
 that hurt. You feel when you get dropped that you’re under pressure, playing the game when you feel like you’re out of form.

“I just never felt that. One of the things that hurts is if you read those numbers out, I thought that’s what Australian cricket wanted from me, and I don’t think I could be any better.”

Yeah, not buying the last line there.
We went through a bundle of no. 6’s after that, which is where he should have always played.
Some good, some terrible.
None as good as Hodge.
His papers were stamped.

He wasn’t ever going to get number 6, he’s the same age as M Hussey.
Still should’ve played a lot more. At # 5

A Nel had quite a busy action.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean.

At a vital, psychological moment, he demonstrated a heart the size of a caraway seed. Right in front of the captain (or soon to be captain).

Compare it with Clarke (whom I can’t stand) copping a barrage from Morkel, including breaking a bone in his shoulder area.