Cricket Part II

Who wants to watch tests played in empty stadiums. Perth never draws decent crowds

I feel like I have missed something with Lyon. His numbers are great but I donā€™t get it. Doesnā€™t seem like he gets much turn, doesnt create much fear. There is clearly something I dont see.

He bowls great line and length to build pressure on batsmen. He doesnā€™t turn it like Warne or Macgill, but turns it enough to go from middle of the bat to an edge. He is also very good at varying the height and speed of his deliveries. Heā€™s more likely to get wickets by strangling a batsman and forcing them into a false stroke, rather than bowling a Gatting ball.

His figures have also been impacted by having some poor keeping behind the stumps over the years, as well as having loose bowlers at the other end reducing the impact of his pressure (ie - quicks giving up cheap runs with loose deliveries after Lyon has bowled three maidens in a row).

Also, heā€™s a distant cousin of mine, so shut ya clams.

7 Likes

lol. I think we were spoiled for spinners for while and the difference is stark, in the end thoughā€¦ the numbers dont lie.

The fact that the Indians couldnā€™t handle him on their own decks is a good indicator as to how good he has become.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s because unlike Adelaide, weā€™ve got better things to do than to turn up to 2nd rate games.

1 Like

Gets very good spin for a finger spinner. Will never get as much turn as a wrist spinner but thatā€™s just the way it is. He bowls in really good areas and keeps things tight and after playing the bulk of his Shield career at a placid AO he has added several slight variations to his stock ball. As most spinners will tell you itā€™s the slightest variations that causes the most trouble

Yeah. Not bagging him. TBH I was never a mad Vettori fan either. I loved him but thought his bowling was a little over rated. I may just be offist.

Lyon is awesome. Anyone who thinks otherwise is jerkhole.

1 Like

Vettori is probably a pretty good comparison for Lyon. Both relied on flight, variation and accuracy rather than major turn.

Well, ā€¦ the grills are clearly strong enoughā€¦

Needed that

Marsh will get another match.

Finally. Run through them now.

Nice work Garry ā€¦

Bowled, Gary.

Garry!!!

I stand by this comment.

1 Like

BBlitz thread much quicker than the cricket Australia site

Bwahahaha, I was on a telephone conference at the time and accidently hung up on my boss. Luckily it was the very end of the conference and heā€™s a cricket fan.

1 Like