Cricket Part II

They’ve clearly taken advice from the AFL on what the fans like.

1 Like

Fairly sure that would be based off the starting time in Perth. They just expected the Scorchers to win and host the final.

No I don’t think so. They’ve set it as a double header with the women’s and they were advertising the tv times tonight.

Was told it was scheduled that way because of 2 reasons. Firstly because it’s a school night and they want a larger kid audience and secondly that time slot allows them to go to the news at the change of innings.
Makes a huge mockery of the women’s comp though that they are piggybacked with the men’s and that they don’t get home finals. Not sure if it’s true but it was mentioned that the top 2 WBBL sides are playing at their opponents home for the finals

Bit stiff that the team that finishe top goes straight into an elimination final.

Should be 1 v 2, 3v4. Winner of 1v2 goes into GF, loser plays the winner of 3v4.

1 Like

I wonder what the players would prefer? A home final at a suburban ground in front of not many,or a game at Perth’s new stadium in front of a decent crowd.

Personally I’d rather play infront of half a dozen people on my home deck if I had earnt a home final. Also realistically how big of a crowd are they playing infront of, I know if I was going for the main game I wouldn’t be rocking up early to watch it and I reckon plenty do the same going by double headers they have had at AO this year. Ground is still empty until after the first game finishes

You are probably in the minority ace. Remember, you don’t like T20 and you would rather play on suburban ground. Players would understand that to help grow the game, they need the crowds and need to sacrifice certain things to help it get there.

I’m with you in that I don’t really like T20, I’ll watch it if there is nothing else on TV but if I was going to go and there was a match on before hand, I would head down a but earlier and at least catch a fair chunk of the second innings. That’s just me, plenty of others go regularly and will also go earlier to watch the women.

Apparently I’m not in the minority though if you go by the gate figures from SACA. Finals might be different but at double headers in the past the ground is usually empty until just before the main game starts. A lot of people in Adelaide rock up at the last minute and prefer to drink at bars close by. The same thing happens at the footy, 40k for a SANFL GF but the reserves who play before them would be playing infront of under 10k

Bravo… getting overrated again

Sydney Sixers WBBL team must feel ripped off. Finished first, get to play an away semi final, smash their opponents in that and now as reward get to play an away Grand Final.

Seems fair.

The new stadium here is pretty cool. Went yesterday

1 Like

makes sense

I don’t know who any of those three are.

(I think I have heard of Travis Head, but I can’t tell you what kind of player he is or whether he’s from NSW and therefore I need to pay attention.)

I wonder if tonight’s game will be better attended than the Sydney derby was? Doesn’t look like it so far.

Edit: I wonder about it because the idea of domestic cricket being better attended than international cricket in Australia is still bonkers to me.

Disappointing to lose the U19 WC but be batted very poorly and bowled pretty ordinary against a very good Indian side. Still not sold on Sutherland, doesn’t appear to have too many tricks up his sleeve and I think he looked a better prospect at football

What’s Stanlake’s first class record like, because dang.

2 Likes

He’s only played 2 games of fc cricket

Probably a bit premature to get on his bandwagon then.