Cricket Part II

Anyone would have looked good after Stanlake effectively ended the contest in the 4th over. With the three powere hitters in the top 5 in the sheds after 20 balls, the Kiwis were cobbled before the game had started. It would have taken some ‘special’ captaincy to look ordinary from there.

2 Likes

He also didn’t take stanlake off after 2 overs, still went for more wickets.

It’s a well balanced side. 2 pace bowlers, 1 death bowler, another medium pacer and a coupenof handy spinners. Probably have about 7 who can role their arm over. And in the batting you have some brute force while still batting down to 7 or 8

3 Likes

There is no way that that ball did not hit grass. The commentators continued attack on the appeal system is tiresome.
Cricketers don’t just know if they have caught a low to the ground catch. There have been many examples of when they have not.

Disputed catch by Roy off Maxwell. Deep mid off, comes forward to catch it low, one finger either side of the ball just before it hits the ground. Given not out on review on soft signal of out.

Clarke and Taylor swore it was out but I ‘m not so sure. He hadn’t controlled the ball when it hit the ground.

In my view, he didn’t have fingers under the ball but rather either side which I think changes it.

The ball can’t hit the ground before the fielder controls both the ball and his body.

Obviously not out. FMD.
Play on carnts

Clark is as embarrasing as a comentator as he was as a captain.

5 Likes

Fantastic

Good on you Maxie

2 Likes

It has been very very impressive how he kept his head down and just made runs to show he deserves to be in the side. That was an excellent knock. Very pleased for him.

edit: and a top spell of bowling

3 Likes

Too right. Stood his ground when all around wanted him to walk. Played it the way he wanted.
I know its only 20/20 but still…staunch as fark.

Where was that for the Stars maxwell?!?!?

Australia too good. I’m as bias as they come but if you give that catch out you may as well never send another catch upstairs. It clearly hit the ground, not out everyday of the week

2 Likes

299 runs, average of 37.38 at a strike rate of 154.12 usually coming in at 2 or 3 down for ■■■■ all.

Glenn Maxwell was the least of the Stars problems. In fact his bowling today suggests that the fact Hastings only gave him 5 overs for the whole tournament was a mistake as well.

4 Likes

I got the impression that Taylor and Clark are not the biggest fans of Maxwell.
It was quite embarrassing that they were so determined for Maxwell to be out that when the screen showed not out they assumed it was out anyway. They were then wondering why Maxwell was not walking.
A great innings by Maxwell following up some pretty good bowling.

4 Likes

Geez that’s harsh. He was their one shinning light and tried hard to hold them together under enormous pressure.

Maxwell is making Smith and Lehmann look like idiots. he has scored 143 not out from 82 balls in the series and bowled very well.

2 Likes

But the collective wisdom ot this thread told me he was out of form. Now I just don’t know what to believe!

He’s made one big mistake in his career, turning down a NSW contract. Don’t under-estimate just how petty some of these cricketers and ex cricketers can be.

2 Likes

The selectors definitely blundered and got it wrong as far as his omission from the ODI and T20 squad as he is easily in our best in those forms but I still don’t think he will ever be up to at test level so they got that correct IMO

I’d like to see him given a go on Australian pitches.
But if it doesn’t happen next summer, it’s doubtful it ever will.

He might get a go against the Indians over here next summer as he is a pretty decent player of spin but if he can’t force his way into playing in that series I’d say he is done at that level.

1 Like

I thought Maxwell wanted to move to NSW to get away from Wade. I wonder if any of the senior NSW/Australian players had a say in the move not happening. Interestingly just after it fell over Wade got back in the test team and he was happy to play for Victoria for the rest of the season. Then once Wade went back to Tassie there was absolutely no isssue for Maxwell staying in Victoria.

1 Like

On the money but the NSW contract was still on the table.

1 Like