Cricket Part II

I don’t think so, however he should be in South Africa right now as cover. I’m not convinced on Bancroft at all, and with Renshaw having got 2 tons in successive Shield outings he should be feeling confident and ready to go if they need to make the call. Currently the only reserve batsman they’ve taken over is Handscomb, and despite the recent ton he got in the Shield against Queensland failed twice in the tour game.

1 Like

Vics have set WA 468 to win in 4 sessions (134 overs)

Finch 151* and Stoinis 4-82

3 Likes

Will be over by lunch tomorrow

If it gets that far. WA 5-62. Tremain up to 10 for the game.

1 Like

Now 8-108

1 Like

Got to say Langer does it well in the west and just seems to nuture the potential out of players over here. Has been a real turn of WA talent (and form) come through of late with the Marshs, Cartwright, Richardson,Turner, Agar, Tye and Bancroft all entering the big stage at some point. Meanwhile guys like Phillipe and Kelly step up and play well above their years in state.

I rate Langer highly as a player manager and his ability to motivate guys to get the best out of themselves and create a strong culture in the club. I hear similar reviews about Dizzy in County & BB. I think we are blessed for choice with these two & punter for when Boof moves on.

What’s everyone’s view on who they prefer?

I just don’t particularly like Langer and his intensity. Punter or Dizz for me.

Apparently neither did Marcus Harris

There is no way Bancroft or Richardson deserved their call up

Disagree on Bancroft. He was next in line but suffered a lapse in form when Renshaw was in peak form.

He had a longer form line than Renshaw. Renshaw is only now coming backinto form.

1 Like

Renshaw needed to be given more of a chance at the top level, should been picked for the first 2-3 tests at least in the Ashes.

The knock on Renshaw is that he is too slow, yet we curse and cry that we have no one up the order who can dig in and play the anchor role

1 Like

Rubbish. Renshaw didn’t look like making a run till after Christmas. He might have passed 20 once, not by far, and a lot of them were single figures.

You can’t play guys that much out of form in an Ashes series.

Handscomb started the year badly too, but not that badly.

3 Likes

Morne Morkel retiring from international duty after the upcoming series

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a big Renshaw gambit the selectors had no choice. He couldn’t hit it off the square before Christmas. I’ve noticed he’s scoring at a faster run rate ismn the last two Shield matches. He may have decided to start playing more shots. If he has, it’s working

5 years, 2 finals, 0 titles - and they’re choking on a big one at the pointy end (for about the 3rd time).
Supposedly 5 or 6 x Test players in the line-up for much of that time.

He does pretty well in the T20 stuff, doesn’t he? Might be his go - you couldn’t pick him as a coach for Tests based on his record. (And he’s a moon unit!)

Ideally I’d like someone who’s worked at least in England or India; preferably both. That’s where the challenge is. Dizzy ticks that box.

England did.

*hang on… am I arguing with or against you? :grinning:

Who was out of form before they got here? You could easily argue Moeen should have been dropped, but they left themselves with few options. Big difference between a home side and a touring side. Replacements are usually only sent for injury reasons, not form.

Ballance was their big waste. I just can’t see it with him.

Vics wrap up the match against WA. Christian taking last two wickets.

1 Like

9th wicket between Inglis and Kelly put on 109 of that 213.

SCG looks to be as big a road as the MCG. Tassie 4-432 chasing 8-449 dec.

Webster 136, Doran 97, Wade 83*, McDermott 52*