Cricket Part II

Needs to be reposted each day. Goddam it’s awful. It’s like a deaf New Orleans Funeral is circling the ground endlessly.

1 Like

Amia looks like a walking wicket at the moment

I still don’t get that rule about hitting o/side the line.

WTF does that matter? That was clearly going on to hit the stumps, what did the bowler do wrong? Should be out.

3 Likes

I’m with you, should be out everyday of the week. The rule is flawed. I can understand the one about pitching outside leg, but not the off stump

2 Likes

I’ve never played cricket, but the line everyone seemed to toe in footy was sledging about that player specifically or “ya mum” jokes (which we grew out of in about under 16s).

Can still remember the day at Mooroolbark some bloke in the crowd said something about Andy Goodwin’s daughter to him and it took 3 guys to stop him jumping the fence.

Hasnt that been the rule since forever

Needs to pitch in line and be going on to hit the stumps. Only time it doesn’t come into effect is if batsman doesn’t play a shot.

To the eye that would have been out in any other year pre-DRS, which is a shame, but there are plenty of not out decisions being over turned also

*edit. Needs to hit in line

Yep.
I suspect…don’t know…that the law is there because hitting outside the line expects an unrealistic prediction from the umpire.

I don’t know about “Like … Forever”, … I don’t recall anything like it back when I played, (which was a fair time ago), but I’ve just never u/stood it, I don’t know the reasons for it, … and it just seems ridiculous.

The ball is going to hit the stumps, … Yes, Or No??

What the hell does it matter where the bastardd pitches,… Why does it?

The rule is Leg Before Wicket. Why isn’t that still the (Very) simple rule?

In line = between wicket to wicket

It can pitch outside off. It only needs to hit in line.
But yes, this has been the rule forever… well at least since the early 80’s when I started watching and playing cricket.
I had vague recollections of this rule being set in the 50’s or 60’s but i’m Only guessing

1 Like

With LBW’s the main thing i’d like to change relates to referrals. I reckon anything that is currently deemed “umpires call”… ie this half ball bullshit, should be ruled in the bowler’s favour. I know DRS isn’t great but i reckon it’s still generally better than the naked eye and we should trust it enough for this.
The batsmen have enough advantages these days. Give something back to the bowlers.

1 Like

Yeah, nah. I don’t think Hawkeye is consistently accurate enough.

Yeah, … Cheers Speedy.

I know it’s a rule, … and I know what the rule states, … but the question is, fking why??

It makes no sense to me at all, … (as I stated in the OP.)

At a guess it’s for few reasons, batsman get hit on pads all the time and in a technical sense ball could be going on to hit the wickets a lot. Batting is hard so balance back with the batsman.

Umpires have a hard enough job as is without having to have a hawk eye like tracking system in their head for times ball does strike players outside the line

Imagine a right arm leg spinner to a left arm batsman and padding up outside off, umpire would be basically guessing. Warne would have gotten 1000’s of wickets as a result though.

The hitting in line and going on to hit the stumps seems the most logical and consistent way for the call to be made.

If the batsman is padding up, the umpire can give that scenario out with a right arm leg spinner to a left hand bat padding up outside off

Ah right you are

I’ll go back to my guess that the rule set up as batting is really difficult so the LBW rule structured to be in batsmans favour moreso than bowler.

1 Like

I spent years perfecting a set up where I would bowl cutting to slips,… then slipping in an off cutter to get an LB, (and got plenty, … so it either wasn’t in 20 odd years ago, … or even umpires from the opposing team didn’t acknowledge it)… seems bowlers these days should not even bother to bowl that delivery, … because if the batsmen comes fwd enough for it to strike him when he’s outside the 10 or so inches of area of stumps to stumps line, he gets a N/O decision.

I think the rule is a joke, … a complete nonsense, and am yet to hear any argument to validate it’s existence,

(Bowlers Rant over …)

5 Likes

Anyone got a live stream for this atm?

Ball is apparently reversing a mile at the moment.

crichd dot com?

1 Like