Cricket Part II

Penalties in a judicial setting have maximums but they are not always enforced. The enforcement of the penalty is determined by the Judge. So the judge will sometimes let the person off, give them a suspended sentence, give them a small mount of time, throw the book at them.

It will be the same here.

Um, thatā€™s my whole pointā€¦? The ā€œjudgeā€ (ICC) here can only give 1 match. Itā€™s too light relative to the circumstances. Thatā€™s what iā€™m saying.

Ah right.

I think you will find that they will use other penalties to make a judgement on as well. So things like ā€œbringing the game into disreputeā€, not just ball tampering.

I am curious whether Faf will say anything. He will need to be careful because of his past actions.

I have to admit i am getting concerned about whether Smith is really capable of being captain.

Should he be stripped of the captaincy and who do you replace him with? I doubt it can be Warner.

Paine

Yep, put them all on the next flight home. Deadset disgrace

3 Likes

From past history, heā€™s got no problem being an absolute whinging hypocrite.

I suspect Bancroft gets a game: come on down Matt Renshaw. Smith loses captaincy for the series, maybe a set period of time - and a huge fine. Paine, Marsh to take over?

This is bizarre

2 Likes

I thought Paine broke a finger? Said in earlier comments.

#underarmgate
#wehaveformatbeingcheats

1 Like

The difference being that Chappellā€™s underarm was legal according to the laws of the game (albeit extremely unsportsmanlike), whereas ball tampering is contravened. Therefore, this is unquestionably worse in my mind.

4 Likes

Remember the questions being asked about Warner and his handful of tape last test? Seems more interesting in retrospect

5 Likes

He has actually always had a lot of tape on, but yeah, it doesnā€™t look good now. They are also questioning the reverse swing from Starc in the 1st test (although I think that was just the ground conditions).

If you donā€™t think Warner wasnā€™t into this up to his eyeballs ā€¦

1 Like

Presser at midday.

This is deplorable and embarrassing. Bully boys who arenā€™t winning turn to cheating. Smith says ā€˜leadership group knew about itā€™. Yeah, thanks. Weā€™ll just summise as to who that is and tarnish them all.
Smith should be stripped of the captaincy and sent home. If Paine wasnā€™t involved he should be made captain. We should be strong and show the cricket world that we do not condone this or play in this manner. It is also beyond stupid.

3 Likes

Smith should never be allowed to captain Australia ever again.

4 Likes

Just so weā€™re all keeping our heads on - not that thereā€™s any chance of that - thereā€™s an average of about one case of ball tampering every 18 months.

Itā€™s bad.
Itā€™s cheating.
But letā€™s keep this in context.
Itā€™s been going on for as long as cricket has.

Broad & Anderson, the whole Pommie 2006 Ashes attack, Shahid Afridi, Faf, some other random Pkistani, Vernon, Faf againā€¦

chucking the ball in on the centre square, mints, fingernails, tape, sunscreen, you name it.

4 Likes

But of course Australians are meant to play cricket like 13th century chivalric knights; everyone else can do what they want.