Cricket Part II

I think that was a seriously good draw for us given the position in the last day. I thought once Smith was out that would be it. It’s great that they showed some real backbone.

4 Likes

You take that back

We’ll see. I’m used to not watching stuff live though, as nobody around here will tell me the score, but it means no match day thread during the game.

I also don’t mind a beer during the footy and 9.25am is a little early.

1 Like

A different side to the start of the summer: from one that collapsed the moment it took the field to one that stands and fights on pitches it traditionally failed on.

1 Like

Thats an Americanisn. Cos they play so many damned game of basketball and baseball. “These guys haven’t lost back to back games since MID FEBRUARY!!!”

1 Like

It amuses me at how our Aussie “legends” (which is a stretch for some of them - Darren Berry isn’t even close to a legend) seem to always want to barrack for the opposition. Why do former players seem to hate the Aussie team?

Yep, will be picked as an allrounder and then bowl 2 overs out of 100

1 Like

Cricket Australia offers 125 per cent pay rise for women players

Cricket Australia has lodged a five-year pay offer to players, refusing to back down on its push to end the current revenue-sharing model.
Source: AAP
21 MAR 2017 - 2:46 PM UPDATED NOW

Cricket Australia has lodged a formal pay offer to players, refusing to back down on its push to scrap a fixed-revenue payment model that has been in place for almost 20 years.

CA and the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) have argued about several topics during pay talks, which will become more frantic and tense in the months ahead as the existing deal expires on June 30.

CA publicly revealed its offer for a new five-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Tuesday, spruiking an immediate average pay increase of 125 per cent for female players.

The average pay for a Southern Stars player is set to jump from $79,000 to $179,000 under the proposal, according to CA chief executive James Sutherland. He added the average pay of domestic female players would rocket from $22,000 to $52,000.

CA claimed the average income for international male players, inclusive of match fees and performance bonuses, would be $1.45 million by 2021/22 under the deal, an increase of 25 per cent on 2016/17 ($1.16m).

“We have placed the emphasis on increasing the guaranteed amount that the men will receive, rather than rely on any projected increase in revenue,” Sutherland said.

"We understand that the ACA prefers the status quo.

"CA believes that the model devised in the 1990s, which is based on a fixed percentage of revenue, has served its intended purpose.

“It was a means to an end - not something that has to hold us back from providing players with financial certainty, a fair deal for all players including women and the flexibility to invest in the grassroots of the game.”

Sutherland added “we are confident we will be able to announce a completed agreement before June 30”.

The ACA is yet to respond publicly to the offer. ACA boss Alistair Nicholson met Test stars in Ranchi before the third Test against India.

The most-divisive point in talks has been the governing body’s desire to end the revenue-sharing model that has been in place since the first MOU in 1998.

The players’ union called the system “the bedrock of the successful growth of Australian cricket” in its submission to players, which featured a preamble by national skippers Steve Smith and Meg Lanning.

Smith and his colleagues won’t want to deal with the issue until their four-Test series in India is over. The decider starts on Saturday.

“From the players’ point of view, it’s the furthest thing from their mind. They’re absolutely ingrained in this contest here,” Sutherland said earlier this month, rejecting claims the pay talks could be a distraction.

It’s historical. Everyone hates the Aussie team.

At the rate Kohli’s going most are going to hate him no matter he does with the bat. He has crossed over from fired up captain to a petulant child making false claims against the Aussies. I have to say I am surprised he hasn’t been sanctioned for lying and that his board doesn’t try to get him to reign it in a bit. He is only hurting himself and his team-mates, not Australia.

1 Like

They could at least sanction him and then reduce the penalty once his board incessantly complain about it.

2 Likes

Cartwright is more of an occasional bowler than a serious all-rounder.
The other WA youngster, Aston Turner is more of a classic all-rounder. He scored 140 runs for the match and got the match winning 6 wickets in the 2nd innings against NSW.

1 Like

Curious on the lying thing. Have I missed that?

Kohli’s accusation that the Aussies and particularly Smith were looking at the dressing rooms, when fielding, while he was batting in the 2nd test is a complete lie. Not one of his billion plus supporters have found any footage to support his statement.

2 Likes

hmm, it sure looked like it at the time

Yeah for that one review. Kohli said he did it multiple times during that test.

1 Like

ah, well that does sound like bs

When Kohli was batting? Nothing of the sort.

Oh, you said he said it about the 2nd test. Missed that. Kohli is such a twit

Absolutely and no one has called him out for it. His behaviour is absolutely like a petulant child. I still think if he was making runs he wouldn’t be as intolerable, but he is covering his own failings.

1 Like