Cricket Part II

I would have had Renshaw with Bancraft at 6. Who cares how young they are we need to find the players, not just stop gap and hope something appears out of nowhere. I would also have had Nevill ahead of anyone else at this time.

2 Likes

How the hell Marsh keeps getting a game is beyond me. It seriously makes no sense, regardless of the mates crap or not.

1 Like

Yep. Thats the problem with picking older fringe players for a year or two. Youā€™re constantly shuffling the deck chairs looking for the next fill in. Meanwhile, the young blokes nick off and focus on 20/20.

1 Like

On Paine:

Heā€™s averaged less than 17 in his past three Shield seasons and has only stood behind the stumps three times in the past two seasons, often overlooked in favour of Ben Dunk and teenager Jake Doran.
But a classy 52 for a Cricket Australia XI in a tour game against England and his 71 not out in his sole outing for Tasmania this season convinced the selectors he was good to go.

So 2 innings have convinced them that he is a better batsmen and a better gloveman that any other Aussie wicket Keeper currently?

That is embarrassing.

4 Likes

George Bailey - 35, too old.
Ed Cowan - 35, too old.
Cameron White - 34, too old.

Shaun Marsh - 34, not too old.

5 Likes

Shaun marsh REPRESENT

Paine is weird. Renshaw is bog average, ed Cowan mk2

Shaun Marsh I still canā€™t beleive itā€¦

ā€œTim was identified as an international player a long time ago and has always been renowned as a very good gloveman, also performing well for us whenever he has represented Australia in any format," said Hohns. ā€œHis batting form in recent outings for the Cricket Australia XI and Tasmania has been good.ā€

Sayers also in the squad with a view to including him in the d/n Test in Adelaide.

1 Like

Yep 2 hits and Paine is in. Donā€™t doubt he has talent but he is 32yrs old with a first class average of 29.5 vs Nevill who averages 39.9. Also has shown nothing the last few years and hasnā€™t even keep in a shield match this season.

1 Like

Renshaw paying the price for not being flashy.

Why is it that when we get an opener who just blocks it out to see off the new ball we do everything to kick them out of the side. Flaming hell.

4 Likes

Lol. Darren Lehmann has scored a first class hundred more recently than Tim Paine.

3 Likes

I would have just played Bancroft as keeper and kept Renshaw and Maxwell in. After all, Bancroft has actually had more time in the gloves in the past two years than Paine has, whilst also making heaps of runs which Paine has not (He made 71 in the 2nd innings against Victoria, but got a duck in the first).

Shaun Marsh FFS.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t callum Ferguson in the too old group as well , dedpite being 32?

yep

Iā€™m a big fan of Tim Paine, but cannot see any sound reason why he was picked in front of Neville. Both are eons ahead of Wade, though.

But Neville should never have been dropped in the first place. The selectors are now paying the price for that poor decision. I suspect thereā€™s an element of not wanting to admit they were wrong with the preference for Paine over Neville.

And yes, Painey can flap the gums. He is the thinking manā€™s Wade in terms of his comments.

1 Like

So to cover their mistake of dropping Neville, they select a guy who hasnā€™t kept for two years or made a first-class century in a decade?

5 Likes

Paine is a class act no doubt - one who performs better on the big stage than in the Shield. But yeah, surely it would have been a better strategy just to go back to Neville. Iā€™m sure the selectors could have spun it somehow to avoid admitting they were wrong dropping him.

Bancroft is the exciting one for mine. Will be most interested to see how he goes.

Now I remember why I was glad Hohns gave away selection ages ago.

1 Like

Yep. Lol. I had Bancroft ruled out as a keeper on lack of time in that role. Then they go and pick Paine. Suddenly Bancroft isnā€™t as bad an idea.

How Shaun Marsh gets the nod against Maxwell I just donā€™t get.