Cricket Part III

Painey

So whatā€™s the story with the pitch? It plays ok in the morning session and then goes crazy after lunch? We should wrap it up easily, but we have to make sure we donā€™t slacken off the pressure and bowl poorly. Need to be ruthless and clinical in wrapping this up.
A win to Australia will set up a massive Boxing day test.

1 Like

Bear in mind that there isnā€™t much to the India lower order either. We break this partnership the rest should follow reasonably swiftly.

1 Like

yep Thatā€™s why we want to focus hard on getting through one of these two. And then give the tail nothing but wicket taking balls.

Itā€™s more that it settles when the heavy roller is used then as that wears off the pitch starts playing up.

I think it has been a good pitch, it has tested the technique of the batsmen and those with good technique have done well. It has however also made sure the temperament of the batsmen stays strong because if they drop focus for a second they lose their wicket. It has also provided plenty for the bowlers but, again, it is about their temperament and focus, because if they stray they get punished, if they keep their line and length right the challenge the batsman.

Sure it has been variable but I still think it has been a good pitch overall.

6 Likes

Painester

I love the banter. Kohliā€™s sledge was pretty funny aswell

1 Like

the painemeister

Makin copies

Excuse my yaco, but I said this here years ago.
This is Plan A, B and C for every team against Australia.
Iā€™m not complaining about it, because Australia absolutely try to break down other teams mentally, Iā€™m just pointing it out.

It goes back to Botham leaving a Gerry Connolly impersonation of the Queen in disgust.

They push Australiaā€™s buttons, they poke and prod and as soon as Australia reacts they complain.
And it leaves the Australian team frustrated and neutered because they start questioning themselves.
England did it last time, South Africa took it way too far last time, and Indiaā€™s doing it now.
They do it because it works.

And Australiaā€™s going to have to figure out a way to deal with it, because it wonā€™t go away, and theyā€™ll always be on the verge of lashing out or going completely submissive until they do.

2 Likes

Also, question from the floorā€¦
Does Kholi usually field at mid off orā€¦?

Frequently slips

Slips, though think it was Rahene in the slips that dropped Kawaja on 39 (not long after he was mouthing off at him)

ā– ā– ā–  every cricket season i fall for the marketing blitz and feel like some dirty bird. kill me now, before the deep fried chicken does.

3 Likes

A hooker?

iā€™m not a politician, so no.

2 Likes

It was kinda rhetorical.
If Kholi doesnā€™t want Paine to talk to him, maybe he shouldnā€™t follow him around the ground?

2 Likes

Bang on. Kohli put himself there purely for that reason. Heā€™s also got in Paineā€™s personal space at least twice this Test.

If Paine keeps his cool, and keeps pointing out politely to the other Indians that their Captain is a c$#k , he just might break Kohli. It may also allow the Aus media to really go after Kohli if Paine keeps it subtle. I loved the comment to Rahane, I also loved the attempt to get Kohli to refer a caught behind. Tim is going ok.

7 Likes

in a perfect world that would be awesome, but in the weirdly self righteous and self abusive world that is Australian sport, weā€™ll somehow get blamed, and then happily take the blame for it and proceed to change our ways to appease someone or otherā€¦

2 Likes

Maybe they could call Kholiā€™s wife a ā– ā– ā– ā– .
Or do a stumps throw down from a bowler that hits him hard in the chest, a hell of a lot closer to his head than the stumps.
Or run through him, and have our guyā€™s suspension overturned immediately?

Iā€™m not saying the ball-tampering incident was in any way acceptable, but itā€™s easy to forget and assume it happened in isolation.

4 Likes