Cricket Part III

You’ll get neither of these two things, in the form of Mitch Marsh, and you WILL like it

But that’s just it - no one can tell me who the alternatives are. There’s no point arguing about something if you don’t have your own reference point.
Pulling out lunacy like hap does regarding runs vs balls faced just strengthens my argument. He sucks it up when no one from the middle order will.He may as well be coming in at three the time it takes for them to get back.
I’m not having a go at you personally by the way. You have cohesive and succinct word usage that I cannot compete with.
Painey.

If you dont know who the alternatives are then you have your fingers in your ears.

1 Like

I’m also on the “gone off the replacing Tim Paine bandwagon”. His glovework is great, his batting is consistently dogged and his leadership seems to be what the team needs.

Whilst he isn’t converting his starts into scores, he is at least getting starts nearly every time he bats and is averaging 30 or so, which for a keeper/batsman is good enough.

If they end up replacing Handscomb (who is the only one I can see the selectors replacing), then I hope the consider replacing him with someone who isn’t a liability in the field, like Mitch Marsh, as our team isn’t exactly full to the brim with great fielders at the moment - Harris, Head, Khawaja and SMarsh whilst they aren’t ‘liabilities’ in the field aren’t exactly going to put much pressure on the Indians, which at the MCG is an important part of restricting opposition totals.

His keeping is as good, if not better than the handful of guys behind him. Paine’s leadership is what got him into the team, no way they give another captain the flick anytime soon.

Apart from Carey, who should be the keeper for ODIs and T20s, there isn’t really anyone else. If they didn’t bring Matthew Wade straight in after the bans it tells me that they have basically put a line through him, I wish he had given up the gloves and focussed on his batting because he would probably have been in the conversation for 5 or 6 now.

The GOAT reckons Paine’s the best glovesman in the world. Said so on the radio.

3 Likes

That’s nice.
It’s lovely that he supports him like that.

2 Likes

I’m coming around on Paine. Not there yet. No doubt this is heavily influenced by the win and feel good sentiment around him regarding the whole Kholi banter. But I prefer him over Wade and Nevill for starters. When Wade was in he was just shocking with the bat and Nevill’s scoring made Test matches look like a 20/20 in comparison. Just wish Paine would turn those 20/30’s in 50+ scores and cement his place. Until then, his spot is never safe. I think Carey will push sooner rather than later if he can’t score with the bat, probably when Smith returns.

As for the next test, I’m feeling Burns for Handscomb. Or Renshaw opens, Finch moves down the order to 5 or 6. Could also see us sending Mitch Marsh back in for his allround ability to bowl 3 overs per innings and make 10 runs per test. For India Ashwin straight back in and Umesh out, he was the weak link. Rahul out and Jadeja in, probably their other opener out also.

Handscomb’s our best catcher, easy.
If you really feel he’s not it, but still need someone good in the field, then you go back to Labuschagne. Or Maxwell, who’s the best infielder in the country, but he doesn’t have much form.

FWIW I’d stick with handscomb for one more.

1 Like

I’d be sticking with Pete, but those two would be the ones I’d be choosing between to replace him with. Both offer more with the ball than Mitch March does too. It’s pretty much lineball between all their batting though.

What short? Wade? Give handscobe the gloves again?
Fingers are busy sticking it up people at the moment.

I honestly don’t know what this means.
But yes, Wade and Carey are alternatives.

M Short the Vic bat, or D Short the Vic-born WA T20 bat?

Have been in Sydney the last few days and for the first time in over 15 years actually managed to watch cricket live. Firstly, well done the Aussies. Played hard, played fair, and demolished the Indians when it counted. Secondly, Kohli (the batsman) is as advertised despite the 2nd innings debacle. Finally, India will need to show serious cojones to come back in Melbourne. I think Australia wins the series 2-1.

2 Likes

You should stay here.

#dumpthetrump

2 Likes

Yes and yes.

2 Likes

How so? Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and Lyon vs. Bumrah, Sharma, Shami and Ashwin - not a massive difference between the two attacks.Unless, of course, you were referring to batting ability?

Happy for the win.

Still cannot see that diabolical batting lineup getting a series win.

India have at least two quality test bats (Kohli, Poojabber) while we have zero.

1 Like

You are all paineful

This is Painestaking