66 v England
1 v NZ
88 v Afghanis
102 v SL
DNB v Scotland
44* in the quarter
23 v India in the semi
DNB final

So ~300 at an average > 60. Plus he was being used regularly as the 5th bowler. Was a pretty high scoring tournament though, plenty of guys hit >300.

1 Like

the 1 innings heā€™s had opening, was a 50 not out. What was it about that, that convinced you it was a non-starter?

I remember thinking Gilchrist was far too attacking to open.
I didnā€™t think that for long.

1 Like

It really is bizarre that Lyonā€™s coming in after the next wicket.

1 Like

lol comparing Gilly to Maxwell

also that one innings was 6 years ago.

good finish by Lyon

As CB said, not sure the 90s method of keep wickets in hand before swinging works these days. Really need to come out of the blocks early then consolidate before having Maxwell and Stoinis coming in at 6 and 7 (in that order)

Also brings up my next point, we donā€™t seem to have anyone who can take wickets in that middle overs like we have in the past. Tait and Hogg were masters of getting wickets between overs 15 and 35, rather than just letting the batsmen push easy singles and build a total

1 Like

Got potential has the boy.

Reminds me of my old man constantly referring to Aaron Miller as ā€œthe boy Mullettā€ (he grew up around us and my brother and cousin played a year of juniors with him at Mooroolbark). Heā€™s 26 FFS!

MARSH

1 Like

We need a spinner, we donā€™t have one, they are hoping that Lyon can show something

Richardson is all over the shop

Honestly, I just want a batsman who can take advantage of only having 2 outfielders in the first 10 overs and I think Maxwell would be the best choice. All (most) of our top order batsmen bat selfishly and take their time to ā€˜get inā€™, which is what makes good consistent top order batsmen, however, these days in ODIs you really need to be able to score 350 plus and that requires a fast start.

Short and Carey are known as quick scorers, not slow ones. Maxwell is clearly better suited to later order batting when the ball is a bit older.

And out comes the king

Usman shouldnā€™t have been selected against India, if he survives the return of Warner and Smith then we have serious issues

1 Like

Carey will make way for Warner at the top. I can see Langer pushing for Bancroft to keep. Carey will likely retake a middle order spot and the jury is still out on his batting at international level, although he deserves games atm.

The only batsman who clearly isnā€™t suited to an opening spot is Finch, unfortunately, he is Captain and wonā€™t be dropped.

I would say this is an unbelievably stupid post, except Iā€™ve read your thoughts on Maxwell before.

Careyā€™s not in the same conversation.
Career strike rate in the high 70s in domestic one dayers, and low 70s in ODIs. Thatā€™s not fast. Not by 90s standards. Certainly not by todayā€™s standards.

Maxwell is in the 120s - both international and domestic. He scores as quickly as almost anyone in world cricket.

1 Like

32 avg @ 121 SR
vs 35 avg @ 97 SR

Haha indeed.

2 Likes

Do they get a bonus point if they reach it in 40 overs?

Iā€™d happily play only one of SMarsh and Khawaja.
Finch goes middle order. Try Maxwell as an opener in this series.

1 Like

Great catch that.