Cricket Part III

Some people love to put asterisks beside any positive that the Aussies come up with.

But but…this and that, so it doesn’t count that much

1 Like

I imagine if I put any wagon wheel of a test century up I could argue whatever I wanted as well. That doesn’t clearly demonstrate to me the bowling was rubbish, rather it shows Burns managed to score runs all around the ground.

So you say the bowling was tripe - I say the batting was awesome. End result is Burns made a fantastic 180.

1 Like

Not surprised with that wagon wheel. There very little in the traditional V, reason being is that Burns is a heavy scoring player square of the wicket. It might show that they bowled width to him. It could also suggest he merely waited for the ball to be in his zones to score. Matthew Hayden for example was a down the ground player and was not a massive scorer square of the wicket on the off-side.

1 Like

When he was on song, he would be lucky to score two boundaries between Gully and mid-on. He was such a a massive figure and so strong he could take a ball well outside off stump and thump it for 4 through mid-wicket.

1 Like

Still think Trav was robbed!
Should have been POTS

Hard to top 14 wickets @ 7 in two tests.

2 Likes

304 runs @ 152 isn’t too shabby and before everyone says how easy the opponents were it’s easy to forget that he came in at:
4/84
3/28
3/37
So it’s not as if he came in at 1/200 and plundered a tired attack

5 Likes

7 didn"t have the broadcast rights to Saturday nights game. There is about 10 games that can only be shown on Foxtel, that was one of them. So 7 didn’t choose anything over the bbl.

Should be happy with his summers work. Had some issues but still made runs. Both Cummins and Head would have been worthy winners of POTS.

1 Like

How do you recon he’d go on a headingly deck at 4 for not much

He will be no worse than any of our other top order over there

2 Likes

He seems to be coming on nicely to me.

Let’s hope for 1/200 then

No way will our current top order be 1/200.
Burns is a walking wicket against the moving ball as is Harris. No guarantee Warner and Smith will get back to their best either.
Khawaja is a good player of swing if his mind is in the right place. Trav has county experience and plays the swinging ball ok. I’d be far more comfortable if him facing Anderson at Edbadgston than a spinner on the sub continent

Sort of what I was getting at. That’s why I stand by my preferred team which had s marsh wade and maxwell in it, but with the huge caveat of they’re in form and feel secured, accepted and trusted to do the job. It’s all very well to back and trust newbies to do the job but in England? You’re right in it’s not going to matter who’s in at the moment but it may as well be someone who’s been around. The supposed new breed, including head, are going to be toasted, and then end up on the same rack as Renshaw, Handscomb etc.
But the other blokes I mentioned are either not in form or despised by Trevor Hohns for some reason.
So unless smith digs us out time and time again with Paine and Cummins it ain’t gonna matter who’s in.

Trav is a superior bat to Wade and Maxwell and I’d back him anyday over those two in English conditions

2 Likes

Well find out I suppose. The team I’d like is based purely on experience and what they can produce in form.

Wades smacking them, and smarsh in form with no injuries I’d put in top 5 bats in Australia. But he never is for a sustained period and is unbackable as far as mental demons go.

Maxwell just has a bucketfull if potential. That’s it. Batting all rounder, steadies and turns game in middle order, annoying little offies that break threatening partnerships. Thats the dream, but thats how things should be.

If things where right in Australian cricket it would be guys like head who should be beating on the door a la Greg blewett or Jamie Cox.

Then again, smith and warner might cut up England like yesterday’s black pudding and Cummins finish off the job with p-zaz.

All under the watchful eye of your captain Tim Paine.

Painey.

Arsey.

One shot. In one shot during his Canberra inning she showed he might* be able to make.

*a very big might. But between him and Patterson there’s certainly more promising signs than most of the blokes that have debuted over the last 3-4 years.

Nah Burns is simply awesome in every way…

Every chance by early August Edgbaston is closer to a subcontinent wicket than at it is to Trent Bridge. Gonna spin I feel.