Cricket Part III

2 or 3 times they looked gone. Bowled and fielded poorly in the first 10 overs, should have been chasing 210. Then Harris went early to a dumb shot, then recovered, then Finch who had been playing the anchor role played the worst shot ive seen on a cricket pitch by a professional. Sixers really should have won from that position.

3 Likes

Pretty sure I’d read in this thread multiple times that both Melbourne sides were the absolutely worst sides in the history of the world.

They are barely average which says alot about the competition this season. It has been very poor, the level it has been played at is disturbing. The crowd numbers will tell you that

You do occasionally see sides completely ■■■■ themselves in positions you really should win from.
Not all that often, and I don’t think that was an example last night.

What a load of crap.

They started slowly and built to good form at the right time. They were not “barely average” at all.

If you hate this stuff so much stop watching it.

2 Likes

There seems to be a competition on here as to who can call the most cricketers ■■■■ ■■■■■.
It’s a strange phenomenon and I think it speaks more to impatience than anything.

Fairly stupid to write off all of White, Finch, Christian. All have been dangerous limited overs players for 10-15 years, even if the consistency isn’t what it once was.

2 Likes

When did I say I hate it? All I’ve said is that this season the standard has been very poor (or barely average). How many big name overseas players did we get this year? How many high quality games were there this season? It has been a poor season and somehow CA have turned an easy money maker into a snooze fest where 15000 turned up to a semi final in Melbourne on a Friday night.

3 Likes

All you do is ■■■■■ about it, that tends to mean you hate something.

I enjoyed this season, it was close, even and you could never really nail down who was going to win (other than HH who choked when it counted).

Watching NZ V Ban ODI, the coms are talking about how scoring is considered today verses 10 - 15 years ago. Basically teams are not concerned as much with batting all 50 overs, they are focussed on what they believe is the right score to make. So if they look like puttering along to say 230 from 50, but believe they need 260 to have a chance, they will throw wickets away trying to reach the 260 even if it means not making the full 50 overs.

An interesting discussion.

In the mean time the Kiwis keep dropping easy catches.

3 Likes

The standard of the comp has been much worse than in recent seasons. Hasn’t been too many really close games either. A lot of games have been decided halfway through.

Still very entertaining though. There isn’t enough money available to get the really big international names which has hurt it a bit as well.

This isn’t the a-league thread.

1 Like

This season I have. And so have the majority of people who have complained about the length of the season (extended only this year) and the numbers through the turnstiles tend to back that up as well.

Staying to the 50 overs was good for NRR, but as these days there is no triangular series any more there is no need to ensure you finish the 50 overs.

Exactly. And too many players leave for international duties as well at the wrong time. In the past the Stars have lost Maxwell and Faukner to the Aussie team and last night the strikers lost Curran to go play ODI for England.

Season is too long, it clashed with the Bangladeshi PL and they had a host of top line players in their league.

1 Like

There are not too many games, the issue is how the set it up and the length of time they play the tournament for. They could play the same amount of games but condense it more. Do more double and triple headers, etc. We waited a week for the two semi’s, that was stupid.

1 Like

Agree regarding the length. Was it last week or the week before where there was a game on Sunday and the next game was Thursday? I know channel 7 have MKR and CA want exposure as long as possible, but why not have the tournament go for the month of January where you have double and triple headers, have 4 tests from end of November to start of Jan and then have 2 more tests (another nation) on Australia day weekend and another a week later, and they can be D/N tests.

1 Like

Yeah i think that could work a little better, it would also allow SS to run a bit longer.

Eh.
I think you could easily drop off a few games.

The IPL has 56 stage matches, so does the BBL

Wow what a win by Sri Lanka. They beat South Africa in Durban by 1 wicket with the last pair putting on 78 to get them home. Amazing game of test cricket.

Maybe those runs in Canberra by our batsmen weren’t so cheap after all.

7 Likes