Cricket Part III

Well we aren’t gonna win it without spin playing a part so it’ll need to get important.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that quite a few dancing girl troupes in the IPL comprise only white girls.

Is this cultural?

here’s our World Cup spinner

Maxwell stars with five wickets for Lancashire

April 15, 2019 — 8.04am

Lancashire delivered a crushing seven-wicket win over Middlesex at Lord’s courtesy of a career-best bowling performance from spinner Glenn Maxwell.

The Australia international finished with figures of 5-40 for his first five-wicket haul in a bewitching 16.5-over spell broken only by the lunch interval on Sunday.

Glenn Maxwell played a starring role in English county cricket.

Glenn Maxwell played a starring role in English county cricket.AAP

Maxwell’s efforts, ably assisted by James Anderson (3-29) meant the hosts were bundled out for 200, leaving the Red Rose county just 39 to win and claim their first victory at Lord’s since 2006.

The visitors managed to lose three wickets in doing so, including England opener Keaton Jennings and Maxwell, but it was not enough to prevent Middlesex suffering only a third championship defeat on home turf in five years.

The day began with Middlesex 94 runs behind and needing to bat out most of the day to salvage a draw.

For more than an hour at the start of the day, Robson and nightwatchman James Harris resisted bravely, the former raising his first half-century of the campaign complete with seven fours.

Harris should have been dismissed on 18 when he feathered one down the leg-side in Josh Bohannon’s first over, only for the bowler’s celebrations to be cut short by a cry of no-ball.

The Welshman was not able to cash in on the reprieve, however, departing just two runs later after chasing a wide one from the same bowler.

Robson too had enjoyed a slice of luck when edging one to the left hand of Maxwell at slip, but just three balls after Harris left the scene he was gone too.

Anderson produced something of a trademark delivery which left the former England opener a fraction off the pitch and he edged it through to Brooke Guest.

Malan and Max Holden got to lunch without further mishap, but soon after the resumption Maxwell began his decisive intervention.

Holden will regret his injudicious swish at a wide one, while Eoin Morgan’s wretched run in championship cricket continued when he played down the wrong line to his first delivery and was plumb lbw.

Simpson survived the hat-trick ball and for an hour he and Malan held up Lancashire’s victory charge.

Malan moved to 50 with a sixth boundary, only for Maxwell to end his resistance the very next ball with one that bounced and took the edge.

Their captain’s departure broke the spirit of the home side and the innings subsided quickly.

Anderson ripped out Toby Roland-Jones’ middle stump, but it was fitting that Maxwell then took centre-stage once more, bowling Simpson and trapping last man Tim Murtagh leg-before two balls later.

Lancashire made heavy weather of the 39 needed for victory, though.

Jennings wasted the chance to get a not out against his name when he top-edged a short ball from Murtagh into the hands of deep-square.

There was then a third first-class wicket for Robson, who bowled Guest for 11, and Maxwell too departed to the Sydney-born part-timer before victory was confirmed.

PA

Squad to be announced today. Fairfax saying Handscomb misses out. Suspect he’ll be on the A tour if that’s the case.

Probably a fair enough call. Smith and Warner have to come straight back in to the mix

Yeah it was always going to be a question of whether Marsh or Handscomb would miss, they’ve backed Marsh in and will hedge their bets on having Handscomb over there as a back up keeping option.

No real surprises

Finch

Behrendorff
Carey
NCN
Cummins
Khawaja
S.Marsh
Lyon
Maxwell
J. Richardson
Smith
Starc
Stoinis
Zampa
Warner

Not surprised but disappointing that’s Hanscomb misses out for Marsh. Also not sold on Behrendorff, would think a fit Hazelwood in England is a much better option.

My First XI

Finch
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Richardson

3 Likes

Pretty much agree. I haven’t seen much of Richardson. I would toss up between him and NCN for experience.

NCN is the luckiest cricketer in the country. Medium pace pie bowler who can hit some big sixes occasionally. Shouldn’t be anywhere near an Australian side

6 Likes

He’s a lot better than that. You’re describing Ben ■■■■■■■ Cutting.

I have them on par, both rubbish.
To think NCN got a CA contract ahead of Kurtis Patterson is just laughable

3 Likes

Think about what you just said for a moment. Ben ■■■■■■■ Cutting.

1 Like

Richardson would bat ahead of Zampa every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

No Turner or Handscomb leaves our middle/late over a little too overreliant on Maxwell and Stoinis for my liking.

I’d imagine there’s be quite a few Aussies playing the English summer should they be needed on short notice.

1 Like

Needs to be an injury now I believe to come into the squad

Shaun Marsh is due one

1 Like

Behrendorff and NCN? Is this the Australian world cup squad or West Australian world cup squad???

2 Likes

They are both in and YOU WILL LIKE IT

1 Like