Cricket Part III

What? I’m missing the punchline.

Apparently an in joke with a bunch of the Vic boys who commented on the post. The other fellow in the photo is a long time friend and business partner who James has spent a lot of time with and subsequently elicited the inferences from his teammates.

James has just embarrassed the ■■■■ out of himself and this wont be the end of the story.

Oh dear… plenty of sportsmen aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawer, are they? Honestly, if they weren’t good at sport, you’d throw rocks at them…

going to be interesting to see how it plays out

indeed. This has gone viral and is the lead sports news story in pretty much every cricket playing nation in the world. Indian Times. The UK. Etc etc etc.

I’m predicting it’s only a matter of time before he cops some flack for making jokes about this.

You can read his post a number of ways. His post did clarify it was his best mate.

Without getting too far ahead of this without hearing directly from Faulkner, you could ask what’s wrong with a bloke saying another bloke is their “boyfriend” as girls happily talk about going out with their girlfriends.

join the relevant queue on what you can and can’t say

3 Likes
2 Likes

His mum, pictured left, is my sons teacher.

Lovely but mad as a brush

Amazing how many media outlets write articles on social media posts and ran with the story rather than check with the source.

Journalism is dead

4 Likes

He is the source. It was his official verified Instagram page and for all intents and purposes the post read exactly like a coming out statement. I hate the media and the manner in which they operate across all genres of it, however this is entirely of Faulkner’s own creation. He’s completely misread the room and the fact that all subtlety and sarcasm is lost in written form and especially on social media. Not just the media that fell into his little joke, loads of cricketing people have commented on the post offering their congratulations and support.

2 Likes

Alex Hales been axed from the England squad for the World Cup due to failing a drug test.

Just because it is not pc to joke about being gay, doesn’t mean that (many) people don’t do it. The “journalists” could be real journalists and check the story by contacting James to confirm, but they chose the non-credible, low cost, preferred method of just running with a social media post.
The real news here is - Incredible, 5 word line on social media may have more than one meaning

1 Like

Faulkner may have lit the flame but rubbish journalism spread it like wildfire. They should be called out for not doing proper background checks.

The journalists and media will take about as much responsibility as the AFL umpires department

Lol. As if he wouldn’t have been swamped with media requests.

He made a stupid joke and left it way too long

1 Like

If I joke that I am a postman or a CEO, when the reality is I am not, is that morally wrong because it may or may not be offensive to postpersons or CEOs? If we can only joke about subgroups of society that have never been persecuted, is there anything left to joke about?

Nobody bats an eye when women refer to their female friends as girlfriends.

My GF literally said last night “I am going out to dinner with my girlfriends tonight.” Was she making a homophobic joke towards lesbians?

Talk about a slow news day…

I didn’t think anyone is referring to Faulkner as homophobic and CA have released a statement this morning that absolutely should end any possible signaling that might ensue. But Faulkner has only himself to blame for it being a story (or non story) at all.

1 Like

Yep.

What a shame. I thought it was a nice antidote to the Falau crap.

2 Likes