Cricket Part III

He added ‘best mate’ later. So the only discussion is was it offensive for the (short) period between posting and then amending to make it clear.

1 Like

Ahh, ok.

Its becoming a taboo subject . I don’t know whether that’s what the group itself wants, because they rejoice in promoting their group each years at Mardis Gras. However, as I said its best to steer well clear of it socially and especially on social media lest the comments are construed as insensitive, offensive etc.

I wouldn’t say it was homophobic, more insensitive/dumb.

Reckon it’s for Faulkner to clarify the intent/wording of the post.

So what do you think about the cricket ay?

Amen.

Last 50 posts have been very, very off-season.

This entire Faulkner incident demonstrates how far society has changed in recent years. Some for the better and much for the worse. Overall I think social media has made the world a lot smaller but a lot more complex.

• Person posts a picture on social media for the world to see - good thing

• Person posts message which could be interpreted as him coming out - good thing

• Person posted coming out message despite not coming out in forum open to everyone - bad thing

• Media get hold of story and spread the message that he has come out without doing any background checks - bad thing

• Debate takes over determining who’s in the wrong - bad thing

At the end of all this the people most impacted are the those who have struggled or are continuing to struggle in coming out themselves. This is totally understandable. However given the complexity of the matter I’m not certain exactly where the blame lies.

1 Like

Is it so hard to expect public figures not to accidentally come out?

How often have you accidentally come out?

3 Likes

Wasn’t there a goodies episode where they were

1 Like

Then I retract my comment.

In Tasmania, does the I in LGBTQIA stand for incest?

:no_mouth:

I’m pretty disappointed in Faulkner. He’s been negligent (at best) putting a post like that out in the public domain.

That was a edit in response to the response.

It’s true. He needs to learn how to placate the insane. We live in great times.

1 Like

Yes but down here the g stands for grandpa.

All aboard pops.

1 Like

Disagree. Faulkner’s “crime” is that he expressed having a great friend. So great that he’d call him a boyfriend. Which from what I’ve read is something he has regularly referred to him as. Surely having a male friend who is special to you is not limited to being gay.

The positive, as has been written about, is the approving response his post received from the community. Indicating if someone wants to come out it would be highly supported.

1 Like

So I guess Bromance is taboo as well?

1 Like

No. There was nothing ambiguous about his initial post. Even his own teammates were coming out in support. When people who are that close to him think it’s a “coming out” post, that’s all you need to know.

It’d be the opposite for many. In a sport where there are no openly gay cricketers this would have been massive. They now probably see it as someone making a mockery of their struggles.