Cricket Part III

Southee is a world class bowler when the pitch is a green monster. Put him at any wicket in Aus and he is rubbish.
Boult is a very good swing bowler, but will be interesting to see how he goes when the ball doesn’t swing as much over here.

1 Like

Gabba suddenly reinstated for first test after “unsuitable spectator facilities” factor that just happened to coincide with India’s visit.

Mind you that burmah would of ripped a few heads off.

I still firmly believe the humiliation of being beaten by India at home will be catalyst to become world destroyers again. Then again I firmly believed being bowled out for 80 in hobart would have been fair motivation as well.

Fk pat howard.

3 Likes

We have made a change to our World Cup squad:

Out Richardson - Jhye
In Richardson - Kane

CA saving cash on printing shirts!

3 Likes

And not having a D/N test to suit India

2 Likes

Good death bowler

But if it hadn’t been for that useless, lucky hack Cheteshwar Pujara it might not have happened…

I expect they’ll both do alright with a pink ball. Should be an interesting test from that perspective.

1 Like

Aussies 6-277 in the second warm up v kiwis
Smith 89* from 77, good to see him find some runs

3 Likes

We won inside 3 days last time we played them with a pink ball. Was a close-ish test match from memory,

Proves my point. However the pink ball is doing less tricks now

Marginally. Mostly they’ve just toned down the wickets because CA want their 5 day test matches. The 1st day night test in Adelaide which was a sell out over 3 days and rated it’s ■■■■ off still lost about $1m because it didn’t last the journey.

Looks like the kiwis are going to cruise home. Not enough runs, finch, khawaja and marsh didn’t score quick enough

Typical English dishonesty.

The article mentions a good number of foreign nationals playing for England, including Boyd Rankin — but ignores the fact that the England one-day captain Eoin Morgan is Irish…

1 Like

Huh? I’m not sure the author ignored it as it would have only strengthened his argument. He did mention: “it’s a similar story with the dozen or so other naturalised England cricketers of recent years” There are too many to mention at any length and has given a few examples. I think you may have missed the point of the article.

It’s just crazy how much power India has in cricket. Imagine if this was the Australian captain disputing an umpire’s decision. This article would definitely be about the player’s behaviour rather than an umpire getting upset, but no way, Kohli is untouchable.

Fairly sure one of the first things I ever learnt was to respect the umpire’s decision. I just love this justification from the local administrator.

“He [Llong] gave a wrong no-ball decision in the match, and Virat went and spoke to him, and Umesh also spoke to him. So he might have been upset, and frustrated.”

1 Like

You reckon ? Maybe so, but it’s strange that he omitted mentioning the most high profile foreign cricketer playing for England — the Captain of England’s one-day team.

England profited very well for decades from blocking Ireland’s admission into top international ranks while poaching their best players, such as Ed Joyce and more recently Boyd Rankin.

Another of these was Eoin Morgan, who had played limited overs cricket for Ireland, but was selected to play or England in 2009, at a time when Ireland was still an “associate member” of the ICC, their elevation to test status having been continually blocked by the high heid yins at the ECB. This meant that Morgan was no longer eligible for Ireland.

England continued to block Ireland’s elevation to test status for a further nine years, until the Irish Cricket Union with Warren Deutrom at its head, got the backing of the rest of the ICC (including India) and finally told the English, privately, where they could go.

England have made a religion out of poaching other countries’ players — including Australia’s — since Test Cricket began: Archer is just the latest.

It’s extremely difficult to imagine England not picking Jofra for just about everything this winter. Some serious ‘heat’ on show here

:open_mouth:

English you say

3 Likes

Is the fastest ODI spell a somewhat misleading stat? If someone bowls one slower ball they immediately bring their average speed down. Not denying Archer isn’t quick and going to be a menace but this figure is not necessarily a true indication.