Cricket Part III

Smith dropped a sitter at first slip in the first over…almost as easy a slip catch as you can get off a quick.

And Roy follows with a snick through second slip and a French cut, both for 4.

1 Like

Beat the poms in jlt

Won the last of the warm up games, Warner and Smith rested.

Absolutely mist smash Afghanistan in the first game. Like a 200-run win or a win within 25 overs. Csnt afford to start slow like we did in the last World Cup in England.

Watching some highlight of the '03 WC

1. how good was Bichel, so underrated
  2. that innings by Ponting in the final! I remember watching it live and couldn’t believe the timing. Think his first 50 came off 90 balls or thereabouts then the rest of his score (90) off about 40 balls. Was phenomenal
1 Like

Afghanistan will be competitive, especially if the wicket takes spin. Should win well though and it’s the ideal start!

You’d always want a Bichel in your team. Handy lower order bat, skilful bowler who gave everything, really good in the field, and always seemed like a good team man. Was it against the Poms he made 50 and took 7for in one game in Port Elizabeth that World Cup?

I was lucky enough to spend 5 weeks in South Africa for the 2003 World Cup. The win against England at Port Elizabeth was one of the best days of cricket I have watched. Bichel absolutely dominated with 7 wickets that day. Amazing to think Jimmy Anderson is still a world class boer 16 years later.

Took 7/20 and hit 34 at a run a ball and win the game with Bevan. We were chasing just above 200 and were like 8/130-odd.

2 Likes

My two favourite moments that day were:

-when an Aussie unveiled a 3-1 sign - the Socceroos had beaten the English team just before this game
-when Michael Vuaghan let the winning runs through his legs and then had to turn around and chase the ball as it came down towards all the Aussies in the crowd - he had spent much of the afternoon fielding in front of us and plenty of words were sent over the fence.

1 Like

Bichel was a cracking bloke too

Mate of mine can attest to that. He went on one of those ACS supporters tours to the West Indies (May have been the 2007 WC) with Bich and Kaspa (Michael Kasprowicz). Great blokes the both of them, said Kaspa was a bit more straight-laced and Bich an absolute menace on the ■■■■!

I will never forget the Saffies stuffing up the calculations for the DL method and getting bundled out of the WC at home because of it. The look on Pollock’s face was almost as stricken as Cronje’s face in the '99 semi. They really have earned their chokers tag.

2 Likes

Gavin Robertson has brain cancer:

Former Australian Test spinner Gavin Robertson finds himself in the fight of his life after receiving a “heartbreaking” diagnosis.

Robertson’s cricketing career was as up and down as they come, but the man who donned the baggy green four times now faces his toughest task.

After reportedly feeling unwell, Robertson went to the doctor to be checked out and within hours received the devastating news he had a brain cancer.

Ponting at his peak was the best “big game batsmen” i have ever seen.

You guys will demolish Afghanistan. You will put on 300+ then roll them for about 120

1 Like

The West Indies look like they will knock up 400 in a warm up game against the Kiwis.

420 with an over to go. 9 of the 11 with a S/R above 110. Lewis scored 50 off 54 and Roach (the #11) is 1 off 2

1 Like

Are their odds on the world-record innings tally going in this WC? Would be worth a bet.

Had the 99 semi on just now with Gilly and Junior. Great game

England v Afghanistan. Poms batting line-up is loaded. On a small ground (not sure the venue for this fixture) against what you’d assume to be a pop-gun attack, 500 will get a serious shake, unless they bowl first and roll them for 50…

Maybe you assume wrong. They’ve got the best limited overs bowler in the world in Rashid Khan.

1 Like

Greatest ODI of all-time imo. So much drama. Kirsten typified SA during that era with his shot against Warne - stinkin’ thinkin’ with a touch of panic. Donald’s comical running in the last over (Lehmann almost ran him out as well) backs that up.