Cricket Part III

It’s interesting that some people view NCN’s inclusion in the WC squad as something that has come about because of JL’s influence but in that podcast you hear the flipside of that and the ECB denying both he and Bumble their choice of Chris Lewis in favour of their own choice. Crazy stuff. I know which situation I’d prefer.

1 Like

It was true though - they just appointed a new captain for the next series. Its amazing to think that English cricket still appointed captains on a series by series basis up until the start of the 21st century.

1 Like

I see that the Bangladesh episode is available on the TGSTW. The person they interview is Aminul Islam, their former captain who made a century in their first test. I was fortunate enough to meet him one night when he came down to training when I was playing at Melb Uni.

1 Like

I realize it was their policy. But choosing not to reappoint the same captain for a series than was literally weeks later is a sacking, however you want to dress it up.

If we do happen to get beaten during this tournament I hope it’s against Bangladesh, just to rub it in the faces of the CA admin. It’s criminal that they haven’t toured here for so long and shows where their priorities lie.

2 Likes

We should be all over them. Get them in our pockets so to speak. The game is only going to go from strength to strength there if the economy continues to grow.

About a year and a half ago?

By far the worst decision I’ve seen recently was against Smith in the warm-up game. On field decision was caught, but the replay was as clear as anything that it was a bump ball. Smith had walked, then turned back when he saw the replay, then had to turn again.

West Indian umpire Joel Wilson.

1 Like

Good to see their cricket blooming but I can’t see their economy ever being great. A genuine third world country and whilst nice enough to visit it’s a real eye opener

Lost in last nights win was Starc becoming the quickest player to reach 150 ODI wickets in the history of the game

3 Likes

Its economy is growing at 6.5% year on year so it’s going to get bigger. As India and China get more expensive I can see more and more manufacturing moving to Bangladesh. Here in Singapore most of the buildings are getting built by Bangladeshis who will be shifting that cash home to help educate the next generation.

it got mentioned on the coverage and in here this morning. Quite an achievement if you consider he’s had his share of injury interruptions along the way. People forget he was player of the tournament back in 2015, completely dominant, very nearly single handed bowled us to victory in that pool match against the Black Caps at Eden Park.

No, it’s been over a decade. To put it in perspective: When we play them next week we will have played them in England as much as we have played them at home. It been over 15 years since they played a Test here as well.

1 Like

Good Test, though.

We have played them in 6 tests in the 20 years since they got test status. Only 2 of them in Australia.

No, only the two in 2003.

EDIT: I see you corrected that at the same time I posted that.

Correct- that was a typo!

Also never a test in Australia at a regular test venue.

1 Like

Reckon Patto being saved for the ashes. Hazelwood was coming back from injury wasn’t he?

Yes, but would have had 5 warm-up games to get back into rhythm. More than enough for someone of.his.abilty. It wasn’t soon they long ago that he was ranked.our #1 ODI bowler and was quite high up.in the.world.rankings.

I hope so!

1 Like