Cricket Part III

For his standards

Early wicket of Amla puts Sth Africa on the back foot v West Indies. Looks a very gloomy day in Southamptonā€¦

Drizzling so theyā€™re off.

Cottrell has saluted againā€¦removing Markram.

Fwiw it hasnā€™t even started properly yet. Just wait until the ashes starts

1 Like

Cottrellā€™s doing well with the cross-seamers that are jumping off a length.

I wonder how long the Saffies can persist with Amla?

Russell not in the Windies side because of his knee, must be some serious doubts about him making it through the tournament.

A Saffy win would be could for Australia but itā€™s hard to want to see them win, would be lovely to watch them fold today and have their hopes dashed so early.

The rain can ā– ā– ā– ā–  off now.

In the same way that the country that produced Drew Morphett and Bruce McAvaney/Dennis Cometti (at their best not their latter-day caricaturesā€¦) also produced Dwayne Russell and Brian Taylor i.e. modern commentary happened.
Itā€™s the same for every sport - thereā€™s barely a modern commentator out there worth a squirt of warm p issā€¦ itā€™s all about hyperbole now and understatement is a lost artā€¦

4 Likes

Yep. I havenā€™t watched much of the IPL but that perfectly encapsulates what you are saying - Itā€™s like theyā€™re trying to outdo each other in the hyperbole stakes- itā€™s really horrendous. No wonder they hired Slater to commentate on it, he fits right in.

just caught up with what kohli did for steve smith. respect. i hated the guy with a passion, but geez that was awesome.

4 Likes

Best thing about the rain delay was watching highlights from 2 decades of the Saffers choking

2 Likes

That NZ semi never gets old.

The Semi against Australia makes me laugh still and I loved the time in their home tournament where they misread the D/L rules and failed to qualify for finals by 1 run

7 Likes

Persist with zampa you recon

Edit - actually looking at his numbers so far youā€™re probably onto something but they should persist based on his last couple of years.

I get the feeling Lyon will be used sparingly based on the ashes being round the corner.

Showed an 8 year old the SF and thatā€™s exactly the same reaction he had.

Windies and Saffies rained out. The good news for the Saffies is that theyā€™re finally on the board with their first point of the competition. The bad news is that theyā€™re already in the position of needing to win all their remaining games and hoping other results go their way.

Stoinis bothers me the most, but I donā€™t know who else there is that can be a decent go to all rounder. Hes looks as though thereā€™s no self belief.

Ironically stoicism comes up when you initially put his name in.

Heā€™s been very frustrating to watch this tournament. He bowled well the final overs of Indiaā€™s innings but there was one bad ball amongst the 6 that undid a lot of his good work. He looked great against the WI was dreaming everything and the smashed a half tracker straight to a fielder. One good innings may change everything for him but itā€™s hard to see when itā€™s going to come for him.

1 Like

Probably the way I wrote it, but Iā€™m in the play Lyon camp. He is one of the best spinners in the world

1 Like

Will play a big part towards the end of the tournament imo.

1 Like

A cautionary tale?

is richardson still injured?