Cricket - The Ashes Tour, 2019

Wowee. What a smashing. Windies are toast now and thus really sets up our match against the Bangers on Thursday.

We must get them to tour Australia one day 'cause these lads can play.

2 Likes

Shakib al-Hasan is having some tournament

Stunning result, chased 322 with ease

them spicy wickets.

Still about a month to the final and already it looks like a no contest that India, England, NZ and Australia will make the semis.

Yawn.

Would this be the same anyway if it was in the old group format?

They’ve changed formats a lot - 4 groups, 2 groups, was there a round-robin stage at one point??

Super sixes

1 Like

Tournament goes for too long

Not if Australia lose to Bangladesh

I think it’s fair that everyone plays each other once.

I think the mix with the super 6s used in 1999 and 2003 works best. I would use the exact format from 2003 with 14 teams as you also allow more of the associate countries a chance to play in the World Cup. The points carried forward on 2003 also made more sense than 1999 method. Going back to 14 teams also means you have decent size groups and then quality playing off against each other.

It was the 4 team pools used in 2007 that stuffed things up with neither India or Pakistan getting out of their pool. Also quarter finals used in 2011 and 2015 don’t guarantee an India Pakistan match which is the only thing the ICC seems to care about.

1 Like

Eoin Morgan 100 off 57 balls with 11 sixes.

2/293 with 7 to go.

Naib and Rashid getting smashed.

Rashid 0-96 off 8.

Morgan 129 off 66, Root 88 off 81

Bairstow made 90.

2/346 off 46.1. Add 6 off 1 ball to Morgan. And again.

16 sixes now.

Edit…Gulbadin has caused havoc. Got Root and Morgan in the one over. Unfortunately he also went for 19.

Root 88 and Morgan 148…ODI record 17 sixes. I refuse to use the word ‘maximums’, since the pedant in me thinks maxima is the plural.

1 Like

Great stuff Morgan!!

I never realised Old Trafford soccer and cricket grounds were that far apart.

I’d always assumed they were like Trent Bridge and City Ground or the Bramall Lane grounds in Sheffield. Pretty much adjacent.

So the worlds best limited overs bowler has now conceded the most runs in a WC match?

and he still had an over left to bowl

Only about a 5-10 minute walk between the two. The hotel at the cricket ground is awesome and has rooms with balconies that allow you to watch the cricket. We have stayed at the hotel before on a non cricket day and it was a magnificent view, would love to stay there when a game is on

There are 3 games over the next 4 days that are pivotal - NZ v SA & WI and our game against Bangladesh. If NZ win those 2 and we win ours the top is more or less settled.

Each format has had its positives and negatives. The current format would’ve worked as intended if SA hadn’t have stunk royally from the outset and if Pakistan hadn’t have been Pakistan. But those two sides losing means the race for the semi finals is all be over only half way through the round robin stage.

And yes, money is all the ICC care about.

I reckon even if NZ win 1 out of those 2 it’s pretty much settled

1 Like