Cricket - The Ashes Tour, 2019

Yeah, probably

Current format stunk from the beginning when they decided to reduce the number of teams. It’s crazy that the BCCI/ICC thought it was a good idea to lessen the ability of teams to play in their biggest showcase (outside of the IPL obviously).

Yes and no. They wanted more meaningful games between the top flight contending nations, rather than pool matches with minnows getting beat up on that nobody really wants to watch. I can understand the commercial reasoning behind that but appreciate that it denies those minnow nations the opportunity to compete on the world stage and in doing so further the cause for promotion to full test status.

There were equally as many critics of the Super 6 and Super 8 formats at their respective times but of course with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight we can see them for the positives they were.

I think 12 teams would’ve been the better balance, with all test nations playing and the top qualified associate, but you certainly wouldn’t have been able to play a full round robin fixture with that many games.

The other thing to note from last nights game, which has been pointed to as England’s biggest weakness, was their bowlers inability to bowl Afghanistan out, in spite of the benefit of huge runs and subsequent scoreboard pressure. Their bowling attack is bog ordinary, if their batting has even half a burp they will find themselves in some serious trouble in the knockout…

1 Like

Mitch Marsh released back to the Aus A squad in Nottingham with Stoinis to be retained for the duration of the tournament. ie: he trained well yesterday and is over that slight niggle.

Great interview! I’d forgotten about the black armband protest he and Olonga staged. Brave men with principles. They knew it would be the end of their international careers but decided that making a statement was more important. I hope we can see Zimbabwean cricket get back to the levels they displayed in '99 one day. Some very fine cricketers. Heath Streak was always a favourite of mine.

1 Like

Eddo brandes the pig wrestler for mine

Chicken farmer. :grinning:

1 Like

But I bet he could wrestle a wild boar.

Eddo bowled some super spells and is also credited with one of the all time great comebacks to a sledge.

Glenn McGrath, frustrated, went to him and inquired: “Why are you so fat?”

Quick as a flash, Brandes replied,

“Because every time I ■■■■ your wife, she gives me a biscuit.”

3 Likes

Ah yes.
Where ever did I get pigs from

jpeg

Hah possibly.

Was Alan Donald or Steyn or someone a pig shooter or something

Steyn lkes to hunt iirc. Pidge McGrath is the one most likely to shoot a pig though.

1 Like

Charl langevelt was a prison guard, I know that much.

Think it might have been McMillan

1 Like

I think Gibbs was a juggler

1 Like

And if he wasn’t so crap at it the Zimbabwean’s would have been playing that semi against South Africa instead of us.

2 Likes

Canadians prefer hunting moose though :wink:

1 Like

Andy is easily my favourite McGrath. He’d never shoot a giraffe