Cricket - The Ashes Tour, 2019

I think we also need favourable bowling conditions, particularly swing for Starc (and based on last night, Behrendorf) , to be a really strong chance.

1 Like

Having Ponting there would be a big positive.
Plus the hunter rather than the hunted gives them a different mindset.
They are doing better than expected, and they are still not at peak performance yet.

The key for me is tht Australia have set up game that works in tournament cricket - much like a footy team playing finals cricket. England on the other hand are the ultimate flat track bullies with this high scoring game who have crumbled once the games actually mean something. It why we have 5 World Cups and they are still on their duck.

They are bang on expectations for mine. The numbers from last year were diabolical but we were doing it without our two best batsmen and with a very unsettled environment around the team… not to mention tinkering with the formula in an effort to match the Poms at their own game. Things settled very very quickly once they dumped that plan in favour of something far more sustainable.

We’re a step down from the Indian’s who pretty much have all the bases covered, but on our day have absolutely got the weapons to cause an upset against them.

Not sure. Kiwis will love the overcast conditions too.

Just hope Finch and Warner continue the way they are going. Now that we’ve qualified, probably need to bring stoinis up to 3 to get some runs into him.

If we don’t win it, I’m hoping NZ can. They’ve built a fine team from a population about the same as Victoria.

4 Likes

As I posted earlier, their form has been very impressive from winning the ODI in India. They have been building very nicely. And the re-introduction of Smith/Warner has been better that seamless. I think only one loss to date in the world cup would have been better than general expectations. Regardless, the pleasing thing is how they are building form and showing instances of excellence with bat and ball. If they peak with both in the finals they are going to be a strong chance to win. If they do then it’s a fantastic effort by all concerned.

1 Like

On the pure wins and loses I’d say we’re one game in front of reasonable expectations at this point, that being last nights result, which speaks in large to the failings of the Poms. But form wise, how we’re actually playing and how the side is looking is pretty much where I expected.

Our best players are performing pretty consistently, couple of cameos from some guys along the way. There’s no disputing we lack the consistency/quality across the entire XI but we’re excellent enough in a few areas to mean we’re right in with a chance to knock off the Indian’s who will absolutely be warm favourites now.

1 Like

and bodes very well for the Ashes series

1 Like

I could watch this all day

13 Likes

■■■■ them. I’ll prefer India to them.

1 Like

Absolute peach.

If the Pakis can win tonight…BOY OH BOY, WOWEE

They have Afghanistan and Bangladesh after tonight. If they win all 3 and Engalnd drop either of the India or NZ games they are out and Pakis are in.
SL have SA, WI and India in the last 3, need to win two of them as well.
Hope Bangladesh can cause a boil over and knock off India, that might mean it’s curtains for the poms.

We went out for a farewell to Perth dinner last night, so l missed the Ozzie innings, but watched the Pommy innings until stumps and it was a glorious effort. The bowling was first class.

this is #5 who’s been batting for 30 overs and is 89*… Not some ■■■■■■■ bunny #10 coming out with 15 balls to go and needed 30 runs to win.

Beaten for pace, all ends up. Phenomenal delivery.

4 Likes

Out batted, out bowled and out-fielded them. They were dreadful in the field yesterday.

That Starc yorker is an absolute cracker

That dirty red Irishman is feeling the pinch.

Cracking win.

We really need to get that middle order contributing better though. Can’t rely on openers to continually do as they have (which they’ve been brilliant at however)

Reckon the first Behrendorff wicket is even better!

3 Likes